New here, new to hobby, and oooold Garrett Master Hunter VLF/TR

gonzo_life

Tenderfoot
Apr 21, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greets!

As stated in the title, I'm just getting started with MD. I've got an old (pre-ads) VLF/TR master hunter that I've finally got working again. This detector belonged to my father, who passed when I was seventeen. It was loaned by my Mom to her step-dad shortly after, and I just got it back seventeen years later. Upon inspection, I found there was no battery tray for it, so a MASSIVE search through every box, in every storage place we have took place. No luck. AND Dad also had a Groundhog, that my mother has absolutely no idea where it went to.

Dad was BIG into treasure hunting, Native American artifacts, old stationary engines, and so much more. I've got maybe ten years worth of old Treasure Hunter magazines boxed up that he kept. Unfortunately once I came along, and then my sister, he didn't have as much time for some of his hobbies, so we never had a chance to get out there. Fast forward all these years later, and what do you know? I wind up thinking all the same stuff is as cool as he did.

Back to the battery tray: After repeated searches through ungodly amounts of storage sheds, out buildings, closets...I finally found Dad's old goodie pouch, with Clevenger Metal Detectors printed across it. So, I brought it all out to Mr. Clevenger (who from reading many forums seems pretty well respected in the community), as I live in the Kansas City area. He got quite a kick out of it, and a week later called to say my battery tray was in from Garrett.

None of that is really too important, but I thought the anecdote might be worth telling. And, I figured I'd lay down some back story, so I can help avoid the "why don't you just take a couple hundred bucks and get a 250?" questions. This is a good way for me to connect with my Dad, since we never were able to interact as adults. The other reason is I'm broke.

The point of all this was to ask any old timers if they had any general tips for running this beast. I've got the manual downloaded, and have been practicing a little w/ a test bed I put in the yard. If I'm understanding everything correctly, I'll just say that there sure is a lot of fiddling with this to use it right. Tell me if I'm wrong, but it's intended to be ran in both modes, yes? For instance in VLF, and then switching to TR to dial out the discrimination? Certainly, you can use one or the other, but I understood it as this would be the way to be most thorough, as well as pinpoint to the best of your ability.

One thing I wasn't expecting, in addition to the 8000 decibel speaker on the back, was the "beep-boop". I was hoping for more of a squelch. I do have a pair of Garrett headphones, with adjustable volume, so that helps, but I'm having trouble tuning my ears to the variances in tones. Any suggestions there, or on running this MD in general?

I'd certainly appreciate your input. I've got an old turn of the century farmhouse on some property my buddy farms, as well as a friend who lives on the site of an old coal mining camp. He found a 1902 Morgan in 20 minutes the other day. I'm super excited to get going, and find some history.

My dad was a hell of a guy. Mechanical whiz with small engines, stubborn as a mule, hardworking, and left me some awesome collections of coins, arrowheads, hit n' miss engines, ect. I'm just glad to be finally able to appreciate them the same way he did, and carry it on.

So, that's my story. Great to be here. Been reading this forum for a while now. Bout time I got off my rear and joined.

Cheers!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
I noticed this is you first post - so, welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA)!
reading_01.gif
You didn't mention your state - but you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.
searched.gif
Until someone pipes in - I searched
tn_02.gif
and found a few threads talking about your MD. Here is just one of them: Master Hunter VLF/TR Featherweight Questions (Apr 15, 2011)

OP
OP
G

gonzo_life

Tenderfoot
Apr 21, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the welcome! I updated my profile to show I'm smack in the mid-west, just north of Kansas City, MO.

I totally forgot about that thread. Actually, I've read through a lot of this forum in general. Before I bit the bullet and just ordered a battery tray for this dinosaur ($30 bucks is hard to shell out considering this thing is 40 years old), I was going to attempt etching my own PCB, and got some good pics to lay out my traces from here. I'll make sure to go and give that another read. Thanks.

And, yeah, overall really happy to finally join the forums. I've got the FEVER, baby, and it's gonna be on like donkey kong this summer! There's a lot of history surrounding the little town I live in, and there's plenty of places to hunt.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome to the forum.
I just bought my first MD,last year when I joined, a Groundhog, Master Hunter, ADS, vlf/tr.
$10 at a yard sale in almost mint condition. Works perfect. Just put groundhog, or featherlight Garrett in the search and you will come upon the thread where me, and quite a few others, plus another person gave a lot of tips.
I was missing the battery cover for mine and Garrett sent one out in 1 day for free.
I will go find the thread and post a link where we talked about these old detectors.

Here is the thread http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garrett/232874-master-hunter-vlf-tr-featherweight-questions-2.html

What I did was copy and paste what occupant said and printed it out and made a folder with the manual from Garrett.
Go to a store and buy one of those plastic binders that kids put reports in.
oops,same one as posted above I think.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread