new here...

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Howdy, everyone! Live in Sacramento, been prospecting awhile, but had kids and had to slow way down! Now I'm back, kinda. Just found out I'm moving to Mecca(colfax), and was wondering if there were any locals on here? When I got onto gold($236), I always went alone, but since I started again I got a buddy I go with, and MAN! Is it more fun with people! Thanks for anything,
Kris in orangevale

Upvote 0

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome 419, and if you are going to be around Colfax, I suggest you check out Reed Lukens utube mining videos as he lives near Alta and knows the
area intimately.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the net. ALWAYS room for more! I am East of Sac about 80 miles.... Murphys. They just updated the POPULATION sign..... went from 1700 to more than 4300! Makes us as big as Jackson, till they update! Take care. TTC

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Auburn Recreation area outta Auburn with 2 forks of the American is a great place to get you feet wet again so to speak. Drivers Flats off forest hill divide or Cherokee Bar outta Kool are decent places with plenty of miles to work-tons a au 2 u 2-John

OP
OP
419GottaMinute

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for all the welcomeness! Me and Google earth have been very close lately, and I was wondering of anyone has worked Duncan Canyon near mosquito ridge? My topo shows 6 or 7 mines in this canyon and they arw all uphill from the creek. Looks like a hard hike in, but that means les people have worked it, right? Any info would be heaven sent. Can't really find anything online, other than the mine registries...thanks again
Kris

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know that area personally but you are right on about "hardest to get to, the better the gold" in general.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello there 419GM,
Be very certain that where you are going is not an active claim! The Mosquito Ridge road area has a lot of mining activity going on so be sure the ground you are working is not someone elses claim. Second the area is very rugged! Be in very good physical condition, make sure others know where you are going and stick to your plan of action as being lost out in that country is not a good thing! Carry a good survival kit and if you can carry a Spot GPS Messenger device, go to findmespot.com for a look see. One of those saved my bacon a few years back. Mosquitos and bears are there as well as rattlesnakes of slithering and two legged kind. Also, the forest service in that area is not kind to miners. Read the post under FS steals miners gear on Tnet. Other than these few negatives have at it!! Be safe, have fun, find gold and come home to tell about it.............63bkpkr Ohh, almost forgot, take pictures.

OP
OP
419GottaMinute

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks guys! I have decided to wait awhile to check that canyon out. I need to check claims and get into better shape before wrestling snakes and bears...ll, I need to get into better shape before wrestling mosquitoes!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey 419GM,
Do not give up there are other places easier to go to than down a canyon wall especially if there is no trail! I've been playing in this area since 1964 and shucks one can drive down to many of the rivers and park for the day and prospect, swim, picnic and enjoy the fresh air. Sure there will be many others there and it won't be exactly like being in a remote canyon all by yourself but you can still prospect in all the usual places, on the downriver side of large boulders and likely you will find some gold as well. Just check out your maps and drive down to one of many road/river crossings and spend the day, have some fun, maybe even talk with other folks.

I started doing what I refer to as "committed" backpacking trips, ones where a person is away from all forms of help and it takes 3 to 6 hours to hike out with your gear, many years ago. Oddly enough they just keep getting heavier and harder and I just keep doing them and now I'm 68 and still doing them. My usual pack is around 85 pounds, I've carried in 115 lbs in one shot and 200 lbs of gear over a two day period all by myself. The 115 and 200 lbs trips were a few years back and yes I was in good shape!

Since I started having lots of bear problems about 10 years ago, ones that threatened myself As Well as my children I started carrying a 44 Mag. Then when I saw a demonstration of what a real revolver could do I purchased a 454 Casull and that is the last handgun I will need to purchase, that leaves a loop hole for the just want's. It will pierce 3/8" thick steel plate and that means it will knock down anything on the North American Continent and most other continents as well. So this is my carry gun to ensure my well being from any type of beasts of the land. Do I want to shoot something, NO! Do I want to be injured by something, NO! So I choose to be able to take care of myself. I also carry the Spot Messenger GPS unit and yes it seems expensive, that is till you NEED to use it just once then it seems really cheap to own.

I've had some of the most wonderful experiences of my life hiking these sierra canyons either by myself, with my three children and with friends. Found a Two Hundred Foot tall waterfall that has loads of 18" to 24" trout at the bottom of it and hardly a soul goes in there. Found a Five Hundred Foot tall waterfall and not many folks go in there either. Odd how the tough trails tend to keep out the looky lookers. It takes work to get into some of the beautiful places and then again just at the bottom of the trail the rivers are just beautiful enough right there.

Physical condition depends a lot on your general life style. If you are 200 lbs overweight stay out till you are all the way down to what you should weigh. If you have not exercised for many years stay out till you've got enough energy to hike some simple trails with a 30 pound pack. Before you go into wilderness country be able to hike for 3 hours with a 30 pound pack, be able to take care of a snake bite, be able to take care of simple cuts and stings and bites. If you are alergic to bee stings carry a kit to counteract their venom. Always have a head covering. Always carry your own water and a way to sterelize more water when you find it. Always know where you are going and let others know where you are going, carry a map with you, carry and know how to use a compass, carry a good reflective 'thing' to use as a signal mirror. All this stuff adds up to the point that there is not much in your pack and then your pack gets heavier. Of course if you are going in only as far as the car will take you, and there is nothing wrong with that, then your list of needs will change some. In all cases you must be able to take care of yourself. If you are going to be around water then you should know how to swim. You should understand that some mountain rivers/streams are swift and therefore one needs to be careful to not let them get control of you as slamming into rocks hurts, now just how do I know that! Getting your feet trapped in the rocks is also not a good thing. I've survived all of these things for many years and I intend to continue to do so and I intend to continue to keep going "out there" as long as I can keep my body in shape to allow me to do the things I've come to love doing! You will be sitting quietly just being one with the spot, a deer or little fox or a bear will walk up and realize that you are not really a part of what it should be around but if you have the right feeling about you then lets say the deer will stay and listen to you talk to it for awhile before it slowly walks away, yes I've done this. I've also done this with a bear and they are beautiful but I've also come back to a bear attacked camp and that is not good. So prepare yourself, do some reading , some exercise, understand what you Can do and then prepare to do what you are not used to doing because as you go 'out there' you will be given the opportunity to stretch yourself and if you choose to do so you will change and for the better. You will however continue to stretch for many years to come.

Have fun, be safe and enjoy the beauty of what is out there............63bkpkr

170_7026.JPG 188_8852.JPG 191_9175.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
419GottaMinute

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow! 63! That's a lot of really sound advice, and it let's me know a lot about what kind of guy you are! I used to dig in ground pools for a living(10 years and 50 pds ago) and I don't think I could have hiked 200 pds of gear anywhere... Pretty new to forest hill divide prospecting, only really been panning at mineral bar, got me a bubasu, but not real 4x4, so my road options are limited. Moving to colfax will open up a lot more places for me to explore, hopefully. Funny thing, my body remembers what its like to mine, and the callouses came back pretty fast. Thanks for all that good advice! As for that .454, I heard it hurts to shoot, in the wrist AND the wallet!

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would only add a couple things to 63bckpkr's advice. 1. - take poison oak medicine 2. more newbies get hurt "boulder hopping" along the waters edge
3. usually slow and steady will get you there faster and 4. just this week a hiker was attacked by a mountain lion above Nevada City near hwy 20. he was
asleep in his sleeping bag. Oh. and a good walking stick is a must when crossing fast water!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread