New here

S

Scots Gaelic

After 12+ years I have come back to this wonderful past time. I have an old Garrett ADS III that "just does not like me". 3 weeks ago I recieved my Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II, and am amazed at what it can do! From the 1st day I got it, I have been hunting at a park (1 mile long by apprx 100 yards wide) here in Orange County. Calif.. I have found apprx $130.00 in coins and a beautiful gold Charm w/ a tigers eye cabasion stone (cut just right to look like a star sapire (but yellow/brown insteade). I appoligize for no pictures but have almost got enough for a digital camera, which I will have by 01/01/07. I will post full pics around then.

My main question is this: "How the h&%$ do you get these coins clean?
("Forget the zinc pennies that look like they have a really bad case of pimples"), (really gotta love the idiot who came up with that idea!) I have tried an ultrasonic cleaner to no avail, and do not want to make them worse than they already look!

Please, any and all idea's and advise would be great!

Hello,

Welcome to the forum. In regard to getting the coins clean, I believe the most common method I have seen posted is to use a rock tumbler. From the pictures shown it appears to do a good job. I haven't tried this myself so I can't speak to it personally, but I know alot of MDr's use one.

Another method , one that I have used myself, is electrolysis(sp?). It works well and is not very expensive to build a unit for yourself.

I remember reading that someone put their clad coins in a peanut butter jar with a little of that sand stuff that the rock tumbler guys use and threw it all in the washing machine (a poor man's rock tumbler I guess).

I wouldn't suggest any of the above with anything other than clad. If you think you might have a coin that might be worth something then I would'nt even try to clean it.

I hope this helps....

HH....Grumbler

Grumbler and Scots Gaelic, welcome to TNet...both of you. Grumbler is correct. Some coins can be cleaned with various methods and some coins shouldn't be cleaned at all...well, except with soap and water. There are posts on this forum that explain in detail how to make your own electrolysis bath should you want to go that route. The tumbler with rouge (grit) is OK if you don't mind spending some bucks for the initial purchase of a new or used tumbler, the grit, and the electricity to run the thing. Sounds like you're on your way to becoming a very successful detectorist, WTG.

Welcome newbies, it's good to have you aboard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back