Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
But they need to be green. That patina is awesome and adds character!! If they are clean, but for the green, I say leave 'em alone. Shiney pennies should be new ones!
Just my 2 cents worth
~Nash~

D

dugupfinds

Nashoba said:
But they need to be green. That patina is awesome and adds character!! If they are clean, but for the green, I say leave 'em alone. Shiney pennies should be new ones!
Just my 2 cents worth
~Nash~

Totally agree.

flip

Jan 29, 2005
kansas city/ osceola missouri
Detector(s) used
garret deepseeker , ace 250, DMC11ba
Nashoba said:
Just my 2 cents worth
~Nash~
I agree, if its old , it should look old.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would loooooooooove to able to get rid of the green as well. It would make these 90 indian heads I dug this year worth some actual money. I got some pretty good dates in what I found, but sadly being green takes any significant collector value away from them.

D

dugupfinds

bscofield6 said:
I would loooooooooove to able to get rid of the green as well. It would make these 90 indian heads I dug this year worth some actual money. I got some pretty good dates in what I found, but sadly being green takes any significant collector value away from them.

Do you want to collect them or find them? If you want to collect them then buy them, If you want to find them then appreciate the patination.

coinman66

Nov 23, 2006
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle II SL 90
The only thing i would do is use the hydrogen peroxide method. I agree with Nash leave em alone green is good! Olive oil works good but i believe it leeches into the coin and it always looks greasy. Happy hunting!

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama
Use nothing but virgin olive oil and a denture tooth brush.It will leave the nice patina and all details will be seen.I once found a beautiful 1907 IH and every letter in liberty was detailed.I tried electrolysis on it and completly ruined it.

Woodsie

Oct 25, 2006
Northeastern PA
Detector(s) used
XLT by Whites
I soaked one in olive oil and a little dishwater detergent...Left it soak for a few days.....Rinsed it off a little and used a Q-tip to lightly rub some of the dirt off...came out beautiful...full LIBERTY

D

damz68

Silverseeker, you did an awsome job on that penny. I think I will give it a try. I dont think I could do it to an indianhead unless it looked as bad as the wheats I dig around here.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dugfinds said:
bscofield6 said:

Do you want to collect them or find them? If you want to collect them then buy them, If you want to find them then appreciate the patination.

Well it would be nice to be able to sell some of the finds. I'm not saying I want to collect them, I'm saying it would be nice if they weren't green so that if I ever wanted to sell some of my finds I could actually get some decent money for them.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
What turns them green ? I have found Indians, but they all have been deep brown. Now wheat cents are another matter, they always seem to be corroded really bad, or green.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gribnitz said:
What turns them green ? I have found Indians, but they all have been deep brown. Now wheat cents are another matter, they always seem to be corroded really bad, or green.

Soil conditions, water, weather, etc. That's my best answer, haha, sorry it's not too technical. All of the ones I find are green as are most old wheats.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with everyone else, don't try to clean them, just be happy you can read the date. I think a little dirt left on the coin helps to read the date.

I also tell people not to try and clean 2 cent pieces, sheilded nickel's or V-nickel's, they turn to crap also. Most of the coins we dig are not going to earn you a lot of money. We just have fun finding them and enjoying them. If of course it is silver, well that's another story.

HH, Ringfinder

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't clean them. Your efforts will not improve the collector's value of the coin. Well said, T.Stag.

Buckleboy

S

Scots Gaelic

Ok, I think I may (may) have found something new. I have been trying an ultrasonic cleaner w/ regular solution, to no avail - but - last night I was soooo fed up (with approx 10 coins, unknown value @ the time, due to complete "incrustation"), that I changed solutions. 3 turned out to be mercury dimes, 5 - 1940's silver Canadian cents, and 2 1960' quarters! All look brand new now!

In the ultrasonic, I used "ZEP-Tub & Tile Cleaner" (Home Depot), for approx 20 minutes, on Hi.

P.S. Guys, I don't recommend using your girls ultrasonic cleaner (trust me, she will not like it!) :-\

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread