New hobby

maxmoney

Sep 15, 2008
Bloomington Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini-3, Ace 250, Cen-Tech pinpointer
Hello all, First post.

I am new to the hobby. I just won a ace 250 on ebay for $130(not a bad deal). This is my first and only metal detector. I have never done this hobby before. I can wait to get started here in Bloomington, Illinois. I have never personaly seen another metal detector 'out and about ' around these parts. The ace 250 was shipped today and I should be getting it in a few days. Anyway, Great to meet you all.....

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
maxmoney

maxmoney

Sep 15, 2008
Bloomington Illinois
Detector(s) used
Well, it was 8:45 before I got outside. I did my search in the dark going by sound only (since the sun went down hours ago). I set the ace at half sensitivity/coin and just dug all beep's. I worked a 10ft by 10 ft section in total of my yard. The first thing I dug one minute after turning it on was a pull tap at 5 inches. This is very common to you all, But I had never seen an old pull tap before. Since it was my first find metal detecting I am going to make a necklace out of it. Less than a foot away from that I pulled out a 74 penny at 3 inches. What a rush moving little handfuls of dirt over the coil and hearing the ding go off. I felt like a real pirate treasure hunter(cool feeling). Then I pulled a nail out 4 inches down that took me forever to find in the dark. After that I got my big find of the day..My first wheatie !! Its a 1953d. What a rush!!! In the first half hour out how cool is that. After that was 3 pieces of scrap metal that beeped like a coin. Next was a 1974 dime at 4 inches(and it read dime when I flicked a lighter to see). Then less than an inch deep was a 98 quarter right next to the sidewalk. I found a couple of more pieces of metal and decided to stop digging. I then walked my yard(the whole thing) just for fun and got like a thousand more beeps. My yard is trash filled. Its going to take a while to dig it all up. A good start for under 2hrs time, first day out, and in the dark.

Coins found:98 quarter
74 dime
74 penny
53 wheat penny

What a neat little detector...worked just fine. I used a butter knife to dig them all up.

Attachments

• first day out.JPG
    first day out.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 221
  • first 2.JPG
    first 2.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 223

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
Congratulations on a successful first hunt! :thumbsup:
A wheatie is always a good find
I would recommend to continue what you're doing for a little while-just using coin mode and hunting in areas where modern coins are likely to be found in good numbers.
This is an excellent way to practice, learn the machine and gain confidence in your abilities
Soon you'll feel comfortable enough to begin using the jewelry and all-metal modes and digging more targets
By using the Ace's tones, meter, pinpointer, and depth gauge, you can make educated guesses about the probable identity of the target-whether it is a coin, aluminum can, small iron, large iron,foil, brass object, bullet, etc(but don't expect 100% accuracy)
Here's a practice tip-before you dig something, use all the info the Ace is giving you and predict what the target will be
Dig and confirm whether you were right or wrong, and why
If you keep at it you'll learn quickly and have lots of fun
Good luck and post your finds here!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'll need something alot more robust than a butter knife. You are flirting with breaking it and seriously hurting yourself. But.... you may get blisters first to wise you up. Keep it safe... keep it fun. I suggest a Treasure Wise T14 or T12 for starters. TTC

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Great first haul!
It's amazing how excited we get over a penny. I have driven 20 miles just to find a penny and was happy to get it.
Keep on going and before long you will know exactly what to look for.

OP
OP
maxmoney

maxmoney

Sep 15, 2008
Bloomington Illinois
Detector(s) used
I will post other finds in the right spot, But I wanted to give you an update on what I found in my first full 24 hrs of owning my first detector. I went hunting in the yard again this morning and found another wheat :thumbsup:. The first pic is what I got out of my yard. The second pic is what i got at the park. The third pic is my first 24 hour total of coins I found(out of all 3 hunts). I am learning to go slow and listen to the beeps. 14 coins total (2 wheat). I am not going on any further intill i get a pinpointer and a nonmetal small digging tool. In the first pick next to the 2 nails is a big piece of lead i think? it weighs a lot and is shinny when i bent it on a thin spot.

Attachments

• DSC04326.JPG
    DSC04326.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 173
  • DSC04329.JPG
    DSC04329.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 187
  • DSC04330.JPG
    DSC04330.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 178

Kick

Jul 21, 2008
MS
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Great finds! :thumbsup:

I recently got an ace 250 also. I've had a blast with it.

littletwig

Sep 4, 2008
Magnolia, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, M6, 6x10 DD, 4x6 DD
treasureace13 said:
dougadam said:
treasureace13 said:
kool i have an ace250 also!
im 13 and its no problem for me so it should be a great easy machine to learn on for you!
btw-go to parks with consession stands and hunt in the grass (or whatever there) out in front of the consession stand.i always find coins with my ace.

Your 13 and a senior member? ???
i started on this website when i was like 11 or 12.
ya it mean i have alot of post'

Yo ought to be the expert for ll the parents who are trying to get their kids into metal detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread