New in colorado

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome aboard! Cool sluice gear, colorado has got some gold somewhere. Best of luck, check blm in colorado for gold sites.:2barsgold:

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all just picked up a royal 30 inch recirculating kit and Santa brought me a gold rush nugget bucket. I am looking for place in Denver area to try out and learn how to use this stuff. Joined GPAA and looking forward to any advice and places to go on front range Colorado.

Check out "Kevin in Colorado" posts. Welcome to the tnet ! :icon_thumright:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Check out "Kevin in Colorado" posts. Welcome to the tnet ! :icon_thumright:
yup, just go to my profile and scroll down to the link to read all my posts. You will find details on some hot spots around metro Denver.

Where are you based exactly?

OP
OP
ssdevilfish

ssdevilfish

Jan 8, 2014
yup, just go to my profile and scroll down to the link to read all my posts. You will find details on some hot spots around metro Denver. Where are you based exactly?
in northern Colorado Loveland. But will travel to find gold. Lol.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
since you joined gpaa, you could go to Wyoming to Douglas Creek to the gpaa claims there.fairly close. but theres a lot to do in Colorado also!and a lot of nice people!

OP
OP
ssdevilfish

ssdevilfish

Jan 8, 2014
I'm just itching to get out and try my equipment and start learning. Need to test equipment out and hoping I can find somewhere tomorrow. Figured I would check out the local chapter GPAA meeting on sat. But any info on good place to try on front range would be great.

OP
OP
ssdevilfish

ssdevilfish

Jan 8, 2014
since you joined gpaa, you could go to Wyoming to Douglas Creek to the gpaa claims there.fairly close. but theres a lot to do in Colorado also!and a lot of nice people!
. Seems to be some cool people right here on this app. Can't seem to put it down lol. Anyone willing to meet up and teach me a few things here in Colorado will be rewarded with lunch of their choice. Itching to learn and excited to have a new hobby that gets me outdoors. I'm hooked bad guys. Lol. Help.

OP
OP
ssdevilfish

ssdevilfish

Jan 8, 2014
Check out the areas that flooded near Boulder this year. I wonder if anyone has done this?.
I have heard about some serious restrictions prospecting in creeks and streams in boulder county. Thought the same thing about after flood gold but before I even attempt to try it in boulder county I will be calling the BLM and county office to find out exactly. Heard some people had equipment seized.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Check out the areas that flooded near Boulder this year. I wonder if anyone has done this?.
People were so excited by the flooding that the hardware store in Boulder sold out of gold pans! Still, I am sure there is lots to explore. The only touchy thing is permission to prospect. A lot of the creek and creek side is either private (need to ask permission from the landowner of course) or owned by Boulder County Open Space - they say NO! to any disturbing of anything...can't pick a blade of grass let alone use a shovel on their land. They do patrol and I've heard they confiscate equipment and hand out fines although I have no personal knowledge of this.

In any case there is gold in almost every creek and river along the front range from Boulder south thru Denver. Almost hard to find one that is barren of gold! (Gold is why Denver exists after all...)

The GPAA High Plains group (meeting this Sat) is a good group to join. I will be out of town and so I'll miss the meeting this time. The creek behind the store where the meetings are held has gold..better a few blocks downstream vs right behind the store though from what I've seen. Clear Creek Prospecting Supply has all the stuff you need too including good advice from Johnny Walker (one of the owners...cool name right?!!). Tell him Kevin said hi!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ssdevilfish

ssdevilfish

Jan 8, 2014
Seems after one call to city of boulder I was informed that panning and prospecting for minerals is now banned in boulder county. Unless your on a claim with permission. Not sure on BLM land yet. But it seems no gold panning allowed especially in area of gold hill in boulder county. Doesn't seem right seeing a lot of streams are public in boulder county. Not sure what to think of it. Boulder county and gold are part of the heritage of the area seems they want to keep their mineral rights private.

OP
OP
ssdevilfish

ssdevilfish

Jan 8, 2014
People were so excited by the flooding that the hardware store in Boulder sold out of gold pans! Still, I am sure there is lots to explore. The only touchy thing is permission to prospect. A lot of the creek and creek side is either private (need to ask permission from the landowner of course) or owned by Boulder County Open Space - they say NO! to any disturbing of anything...can't pick a blade of grass let alone use a shovel on their land. They do patrol and I've heard they confiscate equipment and hand out fines although I have no personal knowledge of this. In any case there is gold in almost every creek and river along the front range from Boulder south thru Denver. Almost hard to find one that is barren of gold! (Gold is why Denver exists after all...) The GPAA High Plains group (meeting this Sat) is a good group to join. I will be out of town and so I'll miss the meeting this time. The creek behind the store where the meetings are held has gold..better a few blocks downstream vs right behind the store though from what I've seen. Clear Creek Prospecting Supply has all the stuff you need too including good advice from Johnny Walker (one of the owners...cool name right?!!). Tell him Kevin said hi!
that is a cool name. I was blessed with a name that not even a decent storm can be named after. Lol. Roger a little too confusing on the radios I guess. Lol. Anyway I will tell em you said hi. I stocked up on all the basics for now. Need to just use the stuff. For years I bought and sold water rights in Colorado and always passed on mineral rights. My big mistake is haunting me. Lol. I'll let you know if I find any gold on first trip out. Will be trying it after the meeting.

OP
OP
ssdevilfish

ssdevilfish

Jan 8, 2014
I'm finding out that prospecting for information on prospecting is the hardest part of this hobby. Hahahaha.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you had a nice Christmas,
Clear Creek out of Golden has always been a good place to get your feet wet and its not a very long trip from Loveland. I'd also take a look at spots in Wyoming. I've seen a couple of nice pickers folks have claimed they found around Baggs, Wyoming. A little far to go, but be a nice 3 day weekend trip I would think? I also herd a story of a fella picking up some nice gold samples spotting with a metal detector around Encampment Wyoming. You could do that prospect in a day from Loveland. I myself have always wanted to take some time to follow up on that story. Not such a hot spot for tourist in the greater part of Wyoming and gold has been found in various areas of the state... Have Fun!

Gold Strike Colorado Prospecting: Finally, The Secret Free Gold Panning Spots in Colorado List

Where to find Gold in Wyoming. Panning and Prospecting

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
I'm just itching to get out and try my equipment and start learning. Need to test equipment out and hoping I can find somewhere tomorrow. Figured I would check out the local chapter GPAA meeting on sat. But any info on good place to try on front range would be great.

welcome... hey try the south platte river... my biggest piece comes from right in the middle of denver! infact im going to spend my day down there. ill show you pics later this evening.

Colorider

Greenie
Aug 11, 2013
Westminster co
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevin and tweeta,
Have you guys ever tried bear creek ? I drive from Morrison to evergreen all the time and see several spots that look like they would be fun.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin and tweeta, Have you guys ever tried bear creek ? I drive from Morrison to evergreen all the time and see several spots that look like they would be fun.
i tried briefly once and got nothing. One of the only creeks in town I've been skunked on! Still could be worth further exploration but go to the Jefferson County Assessor website to look at the ownership map...to confirm you are on Jefferson County or Jeff Co Open Space owned land.

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
no havent tryed bear creek yet. kevin has more of prospecting experience then i. i have been reading alot about castle rock area.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ssdevilfish

ssdevilfish

Jan 8, 2014
Hey tweet. You up. Was wondering about spots on platte. Any chance you can direct me to a decent stretch. And were to park. Thanks. Cool build man. I want one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread