New in colorado

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
well lets see you could go to 8th ave at I25 theres a park there and its real close to the stream. or you can go to Florida and platte river drive, theres a place to park right across the street from the golf course at the base of ruby hill or on platte river drive from evan south of about 6 blocks, you can pull off the road and go right over the bank and your there.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waterton canyon is the only spot I got skunked. Gorgeous place though, beautiful country.
Other than that I've never put a shovel in the platte and not come home with gold. I'm eyeballing the local creeks here where I live taking a queue from Kevin for some quick after work shots this summer.

Looks like a sluicing weekend to me Gents! Get your gear together today, don't forget to stretch and hydrate when you are out!

Happy Hunting! :)

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
Waterton canyon is the only spot I got skunked. Gorgeous place though, beautiful country.
Other than that I've never put a shovel in the platte and not come home with gold. I'm eyeballing the local creeks here where I live taking a queue from Kevin for some quick after work shots this summer.

Looks like a sluicing weekend to me Gents! Get your gear together today, don't forget to stretch and hydrate when you are out!

Happy Hunting! :)

well thanks 70 thats saves me some time and hassle, i was thinking maybe if its in the platte it would be up there also. your in longmont or loveland right?

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well thanks 70 thats saves me some time and hassle, i was thinking maybe if its in the platte it would be up there also. your in longmont or loveland right?

I'm sure its up there, I was just lazy and didnt want to walk all the way to the Dam with all my gear (I assumed you could drive right up to it, but you can't, thanks Lockheed :P), so we hit the first bend we came to.

However: I'll be up on the other side of the Waterton Dam this summer, follow the river up on google earth past the dam, it looks very promising! (Burn areas up there too. Oh Baby!)((Even a couple of mines))

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
stronchia reservoir... whould it be easyer to come down from deckers? there was that flood up there several yrs ago... remember?

OP
OP
ssdevilfish

ssdevilfish

Jan 8, 2014
Hey thanks tweet. Yea the nugget bucket is a cool little setup. Classifies great and keeps my girl busy all day. Lol. Well I'll be down on the platte tomorrow then. Look for a goofy guy with a boston red sox cap and looking like I have no idea. That will be me. Lol.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most of the gold in the S Platte in the city is not from the Rockies, it is from ancient rivers that predate the Rockies and which are re exposed by the Platte or the little front range streams which feed it down here. So going up stream south of Denver is consistently disappointing until you are well up in the mountains (eg park County).

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Seems after one call to city of boulder I was informed that panning and prospecting for minerals is now banned in boulder county. Unless your on a claim with permission. Not sure on BLM land yet. But it seems no gold panning allowed especially in area of gold hill in boulder county. Doesn't seem right seeing a lot of streams are public in boulder county. Not sure what to think of it. Boulder county and gold are part of the heritage of the area seems they want to keep their mineral rights private.
If only it were that simple...people get confused about the various legal entities that make rules, regulations, ordinances, laws as well as the relevance of who owns the land. Something you hear from the City of Boulder is clearly not relevant across all of Boulder County. Additionally it's important to understand whether the city is talking about what you can do on city OWNED land OR any/other land within the city limits. Also, some bureaucrats will give answers (either way) which are NOT supported by law or regulation but are merely their own opinion of what is best. This means you have to respectfully ask them for the law or ordinance which supports their statement. Tricky right?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread