New Key West Wrecks

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Read about this in this mornings Key West Citizen. Does anyone know anything about this company or the 2 new wrecks they claimed to discover?? I understand one of the principals is an ex Fisher Boat Captain.

December 23, 2012 Salvors claim 2 wrecks found
New technology hunts for metals
BY ADAM LINHARDT Citizen Staff
[email protected]
A newly formed Key West salvage firm with access to a new mineral-detection technology is set to turn the marine treasure recovery industry on its ear.
Oceanic Research and Recovery (ORR) already has found two wrecks in Keys waters, its owners said this week.
ORR, formed Nov. 15, is using a type of sensor it calls "barrier detection technology," reported...
For the complete article, please pick up a copy of The Citizen for this day or purchase this day's electronic edition at Receive the Entire Key West Citizen Online. Home Delivery & Electronic Edition subscibers to The Citizen may access this article, once logged in to keysnews.com, at no charge. If you forget your password, please call us at 305-292-7777,

Emerald trial almost over
Saturday, December 22, 2012

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm always suspicious any time an unknown groups claims to have found treasure with some mystery technology.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I think I have heard of that ORR, but it could have just been similar. I have not seen any salvage boats with that name out there. I have not ever heard of this technology either. I looked on line, couldnt find anything. The link you had wasnt about this post. I found ORRV, the same company that claims to have found the emeralds. Should have known.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I have heard of that ORR, but it could have just been similar. I have not seen any salvage boats with that name out there. I have not ever heard of this technology either. I looked on line, couldnt find anything. The link you had wasnt about this post. I found ORRV, the same company that claims to have found the emeralds. Should have known.

I found a few links to the technology, but it doesn't seem applicable to UW searching.

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Steve, I Don't think the newspaper article is about ORRV. The newspaper article mentions 2 guys who made the find.
Capt. Glenn Jackson and Robert Bostick. It says they are from Marathon. Anyone know these guys??? There was also a picture of these guys holding gold and silver bars.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I saw the newspaper link now. I couldnt go to the 12th page. I dont think I have heard those 2 names. I know there is some kind of sat scanning that can see under the sands of Egypt. I have heard rumors it can see into the ocean and under the sand.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

crzhors

Oct 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse,Excaliber,Pulse8X
Too bad a 10 year old DUI is how the public gets to see someone's new business venture....Just sayin..

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Too bad a 10 year old DUI is how the public gets to see someone's new business venture....Just sayin..

I agree about the mug shot, but it did prove to be the same guy. I'm curious though. The pictures of the gold in the newspaper article proved to come from an old web site for Gulf Atlantic Salvage in Marathon. So they had nothing to do with the 2 wrecks reported in the article.

Also the wrecks were supposedly found with long range detection. ( Until I see that technology work, I'm not convinced that that technology does work, but I have an open mind. ) So, I would like to hear more about the project and if they really did find even one treasure wreck? I congratulate them.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any anomaly is theoretically exploitable, but one quickly runs into limitations: technological, physical, or financial.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have spoken with Glen Jackson on the phone several times, seemed like a decent guy to me and he's been around the industry for a long time. His voicemail is for Gulf Atlantic Salvage, but he did tell me he was a partner in another goup also. He didn't mention any new technologies to me when we last talked, but we did go into great depths about the inner workings of Pulse Induction detectors. I called and left him a message, maybe he will call back and give me more details.

Last edited:

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I spoke with Glenn, as you can imagine details cannot be disclosed but I can tell you the technology is NOT a long range locator or any other type of mystic/psychic/mental apperatus, nor is it satellite based. It was developed by the military and is not available to civilians at this time. Glenn's partner was involved in the development or with the company who developed it in some capacity. They are still aquiring legal counsel and laying claim to a few areas before they allow more articles to be published or further details to be released. In short, Glenn was a very happy man...and nothing we talked about lead me to believe this is any sort of scam. They are also not affiliated with ORRV (Scott Heimdel's group) of Key West emerald fame.

I don't know much, but it sounded pretty interesting and legit as far as these type announcements go. He mentioned a few details that I will retain out of professional courtesy, but I will fact check the claims and report here if I see something that doesn't look right. For now, I am interested to learn more and excited about the possibilities if all of this is true. Glenn has always been honest and a pleasure to do business with in my experience.

Generally, you would get secretive, sketchy responses when questioning someone about a claim like this. Glenn was more interested in getting a quote for a lot of detectors, offering me a job, and inquiring if I knew any good captains and divers looking for work. That doesn't sound like a guy trying to pull off a fast one to me, and I've never known Glenn to be that type anyways.

I know literally nothing about this, but it passed my initial smell test if that means anything.

Jason

captbilly

Nov 1, 2007
Samana
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse,Garrett
I remember in the mid-eighties i was watching a space shuttle launch and the nice lady on CNN said the mission was to deploy a satellite and the satellite had an ability to pick up gold and silver and precious metals. It wasn’t long after that the Fla Keys were made into a sanctuary. Just a guess that maybe after seeing what existed that they hurried to protect the new finds.
Then when we were working the Kirby area we were approached by someone from Atlanta Georgia. He didn’t want any money up front but wanted a contract of a third of what we found with his technology. We did get him a contract. He produced a map, obvious some type of military chart. With tiny burn holes that showed where there was gold and silver in our area, Strange map like it sat under a machine and when the satellite picked up precious metals it burned a hole in the map. Little tiny pin holes. He said he even knew the volume or the weight of what metals that was there. I was impressed. We did a mag survey over the area. We had large iron anomalies exactly over the area he produced. He had said there would be iron also. We had to get permission to dig in this area by the sanctuary. They said they didn’t know of this technology and wouldn’t give us permission solely on this technology alone. The Georgia man then produced a book based on this technology. From what I read a military satellite did have this technology and at each pass of the satellitea very small laser would move a centimeter a pass and could detect metals in water and on land. I seen and read enough to believe this was indeed a fact.
We got the sanctuary officials to dive the site. There was turtle grass in that area. (Maybe a blade of grass per square foot). They said they wouldn’t give us permissionto dig there. They were very nice about telling us no. They said they were in court with many vessel groundings that they were seeking damages for destroying the sea grass. And with that going on they couldn’t no way give us permission to dig up the sea grass. They did say if we found a sand hole and proved something up other than a barrel hoop that they could eventually let us dig. They had seagrass damage assessment teams and sea grass replacement crews. (Nice tax dollars spent there). But we never did find anywhere that we were able to dig because of the sea grass. I still believe in that technology and firmly believe what the man from Atlanta told us. And it was a staggering amount of gold and silver. Three and a half tons of gold and twelve tons of silver. But that pesky sea grass stopped any more efforts in that area.
It still eats at me to think such a large treasure is buried just a few feet below that precious sea grass.

Last edited:

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Did you stay in touch with the guy and/or his company?

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DISCLAIMER; Some of the following information was gathered from third parties, so I cannot vouch for the total accuracy. This is a synopsis,

captbilly, according to my information, during the 80's the government was developing several methods of identifying and plotting mineral deposits from the air. Satellite Imagery was one of them. To qualify the Satellite imagery locations of interest, they were further identified and plotted using a Jet aircraft flying at low altitude. This type of survey was available to the private sector at the time for $200,000 for a 50 square mile area.

Another method the government was experimenting with was a method of detecting and discriminating Mineral/metal deposits from conventional aircraft. So was I. Although both our methods were successful in detecting, and discriminating potential hot spots from the air, we both used conventional Geophysical methods and ground truthing to confirm our locations. At the time the government had invested more than a million dollars in this technology. They had the advantage.

Nova, did an interesting TV documentary on this technology. If anyone can find it, I would like to see it again?

A third method the government was experimenting with, was near infra red aerial photography. From my understanding, they paid Kodak one million dollars research grant to develop the near infra red camera technology, which they did and built 3 cameras. But, the government then had better technology and the camera was obsolete. Kodak, had a cost overrun of $200,000 which they recouped by selling one of the camera's to a Geologist in Utah. I have a copy of the Kodak receipt somewhere in storage,

An associate, hired the the Geologist to accompany him and take aerial photos of a suspect area. I was given copies of the printed copies to examine. The resolution was poor, but the natural Gold veins and deposits show up very well. There were even 3 faint rectangular shaped anomalies on a knoll that I suspect are buried Treasure.

During the 80's I was involved in the Air, Water, and Land field testing of a number of Remote sensing discrimination instruments built by the private sector. The first so called Long Range Locators (LRL) (MFD) were fully electronic from transmitter to receiver.

Although you have apparently confirmed the accuracy of the pin hole locations on a Satellite map(?) with the use of conventional Geophysics instruments, and possibly ground truthing, I seriously doubt your locations, although valid, are the result of Satellite detection. Some Dowsers, have used this ploy as a means of appearing credible.

I fell for a Dowser's "computer" generated locations myself. The guys locations were valid, but in this age of technology there is a stigma of disbelief, and ridicule if the word "Dowsed", or Dowser is used. In my case, the dowser was honest and I deceived myself into thinking "computer generated" referred to a computer like the PC in front of me. The computer the Dowser was referring to was the Biological computer (brain) inside our head as the source of his information, which has made all other technology possible. Dell

Last edited:

captbilly

Nov 1, 2007
Samana
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse,Garrett
Dell,
The information given to this fellow from Atlanta was leaked to him by a friend of his in the Military. After 9/11 that door was shut. What was interesting was this fellow went ahead and did many of his own surveys with the information he had obtained spending a fortune of his own money. I never did hear if he was sucsessful. But one "golden" anomaly he wanted to check was just a tiny consentrated area. He didnt know at the time that this was just a few hundred yards away from the Atocha´s main hull.
Other than that the fifteen years i have been in this business everybody and thier mothers and thier dogs have come to me with some type of long range detection devises and never has any of them proved to me they worked. Just thinking i remember a company flying around two dowsers in a helicopter up and down the reef. That didnt work either.
Magnetometer, sub-bottom profilers, side scan imagery and most of all just plain dumb luck. The last being the one that has worked best for me.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well boys, I am not sure I would invest any money into this venture at this time but I would be willing to invest about a month of my time to help them out and to see if there is any validity to this technology. I am not one to sit on the side lines and to watch the world go by, if I believe that there are rewards to be had,whether it be monetary or personnel rewards I will take a serious look at it.
So if Glen Jackson is reading this drop me an PM and we will talk. I will work for five cobs a month.:wink:
ZDD

Jan 20, 2013
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but if these countries that the ships belong to abandoned there efforts. Then why should they get anything . Along with our so honest government. Finders keepers... you spent time money and aggravation of searching...

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dave, Glenn is coming over here to Tampa soon to look at some new technology from Aqua Scan UK. I will drop your name in his hat of potential divers. I think I've seen enough here to vouch for your skills, experience and determination. :-)

Jason

DiverBry

Jan 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason - This thread caught my eye. Always wanted to be part of a salvage effort. I am a very experienced SCUBA diver and find myself in a place where I could spare some time. Resume: * 1500 dives off all US coasts from Maine to Key West, gulf, Monterrey Bay CA, and Puget Sound, * BS in Engineering Management * Master of Engineering in Ocean Engineering from Florida Atlantic Univ.

Would love to get injected into this discussion.

Thanks
Bryan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread