Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw the landlord raking the lawn of a large apartment building in my neighborhood Today ! This place was built in mid 1800's and I had been eyeing it for a while ! He said go ahead, I don't care if you dig an 8 foot deep hole as long as I fill it in !!! Great ! and thank you I said. Alot of trash ! It is going to take me awhile to clean up this site !! I was surprised I did not pull at least a Rosie out of here in the 3 hours I hunted ! I dug alot of signals and even when I retraced my search route there were still quite a few signals ! Pics of digs follow ! I go back tomorrow ! While I was digging up the lawn a nice woman came out of the building and asked if I collect coins and gave me these 2 cool Canadian Breast cancer awareness Quarters ! I had never seen them before! I thanked her and told her they meant more to me than anything I had found today since my sister died of breast cancer 3 years ago at the tender age of 40 ! I started crying on the spot and now I am crying again as I post this !! Bye MaineRelic. I know the pics say dug Feb 28 but this is wrong ! Forgot 2 change Tag photo date ! Dug today March 12th 2010 MaineRelic. 0 UPDATE: March 13th, Fellow T-net member HCW pointed out to me that my 1888 Indian I found yesterday looked like an 8 over 7. If so it could be a fairly valuable coin ! If it is ! I will try to sell it and donate the proceeds in honor of my sister to Breast cancer research. I will have my coin dealer look at it on Monday MaineRelic. UPdate 03/16/2010 I took the suspect 1888/8 over 7 Indian to my dealer today, at first he was intrigued by the coin but after closer examination he concluded thay it was a pushed date . Probably against a rock by the frost ! He said it just did not have any of the tell tale die anomolies associated with the 8 over 7die ! Just a ood conversation pece! Maybe next time ! MaineRelic

Attachments

• IMG_0581.JPG
    IMG_0581.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 2,448
  • IMG_0575-1.JPG
    IMG_0575-1.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 2,467
  • IMG_0576.JPG
    IMG_0576.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 2,465
  • IMG_0577.JPG
    IMG_0577.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 2,476
  • IMG_0582.JPG
    IMG_0582.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 2,475
  • IMG_0578.JPG
    IMG_0578.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 2,443
  • IMG_0579.JPG
    IMG_0579.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 2,462
  • IMG_0580.JPG
    IMG_0580.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 2,458
  • IMG_0587.JPG
    IMG_0587.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 2,452
  • IMG_0591.JPG
    IMG_0591.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 2,438
  • IMG_0581.JPG
    IMG_0581.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 2,406
  • IMG_0581.JPG
    IMG_0581.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 2,431
Upvote 0

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
MaineRelic said:
Thanks HCW. I am going to take your advice and get a second opinion on this coin. I tried To take a closer image of the date and I am also going to put it on a coin forum !! MaineRelic.
excellent idea on all accounts.
Westside Stamp and Coin Co. 921 East St. Walpole Ma. 508-668-9445

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
While I agree there is something "different" about the last 8 I'm going to add my 2 cents worth. The right side of the 8 looks to be slightly flattened as if it was hit with something and the reason I say this is that the rim directly below the 8 where the edge design is looks to be slightly flattened as well. The bottom pic in the last group of pictures you posted shows this pretty clearly. The edge "reeding" looks to be flattened & pushed up towards the 8 causing it to appear fatter than the rest of the edge. Pictures I've seen of legitimate 8 over 7 overdates don't look the same as your coin. My humble opinion is that at some point in it's life it was hit fairly hard by something at that spot and then wore down to give it the appearance it has now. Still a great find.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey MaineRelic. I got a coin dealer that I do a lot of buisness with, I could put you intouch with him. I think your up in Bangor? He would be about an hour away from you. Let me know if you want his Info. Good luck buddy hope it turns out to be the real deal.

coin1921

Dec 1, 2006
Manitoba, Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Deus V 3.2
Bounty Hunter Water Detector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Canadian Quarter interests me. This coin was issued for circulation in 2006, and should have a date above the queens head. I do not see a date in your photo, and if there is actually no date on the coin, it could be a valuable mint error coin.
Is there a date on the coin?

unclevinn

Sep 6, 2009
maine
Detector(s) used
fisher1212x
one of our fellow mainers was on the banner two or three years back. bootstrap vinn had that nice 1 dollar califonia gold piece on there remember? unclevinn

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NHBandit said:
While I agree there is something "different" about the last 8 I'm going to add my 2 cents worth. The right side of the 8 looks to be slightly flattened as if it was hit with something and the reason I say this is that the rim directly below the 8 where the edge design is looks to be slightly flattened as well. The bottom pic in the last group of pictures you posted shows this pretty clearly. The edge "reeding" looks to be flattened & pushed up towards the 8 causing it to appear fatter than the rest of the edge. Pictures I've seen of legitimate 8 over 7 overdates don't look the same as your coin. My humble opinion is that at some point in it's life it was hit fairly hard by something at that spot and then wore down to give it the appearance it has now. Still a great find.
I can agree with much of your theory however if you look at the entire coin you will see other areas of flattening as well. Those areas did not deform like our mystery '8'.
Could it be a FLATTENED 8/7?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread