New member from South west PA, USA.

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+ Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My name is Roy and I am from Southwest, PA south of Pittsburgh. My kids bought me a cheap Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 about 10 years ago for father's day and we had a lot of fun with it in the yard when they were little. We found a few coins, a pen knife and a piece of iron pipe. My latest find was the clean out for our septic line last summer so the plumber could clean it out with a snake. :icon_thumleft:

I am going to the Outer banks this summer and thought I would take the BH and maybe purchase another MD so that my nieces could do some searching with me when I'm not teaching them how to surf fish. I know it is a National Seashore and I cannot search on Hatteras or Ocracoke but I can north of the park in the Nags head area and north. That should be a short drive to the first beach access.

I am thinking about getting something like a Garret ACE 250 and a pointer, either Garrett or Vibraprobe 580. Will the Ace work in the sand if I keep it up out of the wet salty sand?

We never had a pinpointer with the BH and because of that, our holes were big, but we were in my own yard so it didn't matter.

Nice place you have here.

Roy

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
Welcome aboard from another member of the great state of Pennsylvania!

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Roy! The ace 250 will work in the dry sand, if it chatters, just turn the sensitivity down. You dont need a pinpointer much at the beach, but a beach scoop is very handy.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread