New Member with a couple of questions...

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, my name is Jared and I now live in Arlington, VA. I started me hobby in the eastern panhandle of WV, prime CW territory. I have a White's MXT with the standard coil. I don't get out as much as I would like to since I moved to Arlington. I live in an apartment complex which is in a very rural community. I have switched my techniques to Coin and Jewelry, however, I am still learning. I have a couple of questions:

1. I hunted in a park yesterday, machine on Coin/Jewelry mode, hoping to find coins. I got a lot of coin readings and discovered that it was all trash, pull tabs, bottle caps, etc. Is there a way to better distinguish with the MXT, or do I just dig everything?

2. I still hunt in WV as well, but as you all know, CW relics are much deeper than coins and such. Which coil do you recommend I use for relic hunting? Will the one I have now suffice?

Any help would be appreciated as I am very excited about improving my skills as a treasure hunter. My degree in an Anthropology, with an emphasis in Archaeology, so you can all tell that I am very passionate about this hobby and hope one day to make it my profession.

Regards,

Jared

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I'm not an MXT user unfortunately.... but you might want to post this in the metal detecting forum where more people will see it.

There's lots of MXT users on this forum, I'm sure someone can give you a hand. ;D

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it or not the MXT is a lot alike the Minelab Quattro. The big difference is that the Quattro has 27 frequencies.

To answer your questions.

1. Try to learn how to set the block out settings. The manual will help. Air test a good item and a bad item that reads good. Then try to determine if the VDI numbers are the same if not you can block the bad VDI number and make your recovery more likely to be a good one. Get the idea.

2. Try a Eclipse Deepscan DD 1400 coil. It is larger and will go deeper. As with any larger or DD coil you will get reduced pinpointing.

Good luck,

Ed Donovan

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the VDI numbers like ecdonovan suggests. The same piece of trash in one location might not read the same in another region. A larger coil may help but a lot depends on the amount of trash and the amount of target masking. A DD coil pinpoints easier just off the tip or the back instead of the middle like in concentric coils. Good Luck,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions