New members

ohiograndpa

May 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't be offended if you are asked for references when trying to make a Trade deal on the Forum
It takes time for your name and reputation to build. There are too many Scammers out there for any of us to "TAKE A CHANCE" ... So try to understand it's not personal, and it's not saying your not honest. It's just good old precaution on my, and other members part.

No one will send you a detector, and or accessories unless you are known without having some faith in you. So give the references if you have them, and do what you must till your known. In the mean time expect to ship first on trades, and or pay first before you get the item shipped.

In fact ,I would require you to ship first, that would be based on my reputation thats a proven fact from my past transactions on the Forum, and your lack of references. You know your going to get the item shipped from my past performance. In time you can earn the same respect..but it does take time.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Been transacting on the internet since the early-early days. Made my first eTrade via usenet, before ebay even existed.
I've seen darn near every possible variable, problem and hitch that could possibly arise in an internet trade.

The rules are pretty clear.
The imperative to 'send first' is on the purchaser, not the seller, meaning that the buyer pays first, then the seller ships. If the seller happens to be a new user without any background, then asking for trade references is perfectly acceptable. You cannot 'expect' them to ship first, though. If they agree to ship first, being a new member (as I have many times, when I was a new member on other forums), then that's their decision to make, but you cannot get indignant with them for not sending first. Simply move on to another deal you're more comfortable with.

Also, everyone should at least be aware of the potential risks of dealing online, regardless of how long a member has been registered. Just because someone is a long-time member means very little. Go to any established forum with a Buy/Sell/Trade section and there will be invariably be stories about "MemberX" who was a long standing and well respected member until he screwed a bunch of people over. The two times I've been shafted came from long-time registered members with 'high post counts'.

I've found that the best layer of security is simply asking for a phone number and making a phone call. Scammers react to this like a cat to water, however honest sellers rarely have a problem with this and usually, you get to have a fun conversation with someone who shares a likewise interest.

PAPPYGOL

May 15, 2008
niles ohio
Detector(s) used
grand master hunter cx2 ,,. , fisher 1235x 1236x2, 2 coin computers, garrett freedom 3.
to ls morgan. how about sharing the names of those bad guys with us?? inquiring minds want to know

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread