"New Park For Us"

R

RUDY2003

"New Park For Us"

Hey all. I went with Ima this morning to a first of many new parks locally that Ima obtained written permission from the Parks Director. We met early and started in the playground area of this 20 acre site.
The quarters were coming at a good pace then the nickles and pennies. We hunted the playground for about two hours and decided to try our luck at the ball fields and bleachers at another section of the park.
To our disappointment, the bleachers were all on concrete and we had agreed not to dig on the actual ball fields since they are still in use this time of year. Anyway we were done for the day, we thought as we started to walk back to our trucks. As you have heard before, most of the best finds are found while walking back to the truck. We both found another handfull of coins and I found a small kids ring. Not bad for a few HOT hours. We will be back... There are another 25 or so county parks around here to go....
Keep safe...

Attachments

• 6-9-07-park.jpg
    6-9-07-park.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 414
Upvote 0

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Re: "New Park For Us"

Pretty good haul! Do you have to get permission to hunt parks in Texas?

OP
OP
R

RUDY2003

Thanks prober...We only have permission for city and some county parks. State parks are still off limits even though House Bill 1016 this year would have allowed limited access to state parks. The bill died in committee this year..
Keep safe....

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer

Funny thing about bleachers on concrete.. they still harbor coins.. only they are at the very edges of the concrete pads. I overlooked many hits at first because somewhere back in the recesses of my tiny little mamalian brain there was little voice that said.. "Nuh uh.. rebar" That's reinforcement "wire" or rods to those who don't know what rebar is. They lay the rebar down in the gravel and other aggregate then pour in the concrete and/or cement. Keeps the pads and sidewalks from cracking and falling apart. Well your metal detectors will get iron reads or even multiple type reads sometimes from rebar..till you tune them out with your descrimation. After I silenced that little nagging voice I started noticing that there are lots of "hits" right along the sides of these bleacher pads,sidewalks and even driveways. I've found over a hundred quarters right along the sides of these pads or just an inch or so off of them. People still have pocket dumps sitting in these concrete reinforced bleachers.. and while they may recover most of their coinage..some of it inevitably rolls off the edge of the pad right along side into the grass. Beep! Beep! Hello George!
<grin>

Also.. you probably allready knew this, but stand along side the bleachers and look around for the nearest concession stand or place where they park the mobile types.. imagine the foot traffic from the bleachers to the concessions.. and you will find lots of coins. Everyone loses change going and coming from the concessions. I've got over thirty bucks in recently recovered clad to prove that. some of it will even be right on top of the ground.. barely under the first few blades of grass if that deep. Ok, so it's not so much a challenge.. but it's still a find and it's spendable! Batteries and gas money! <smile>

Frodov

HH all

OP
OP
R

RUDY2003

Frodov said:
Funny thing about bleachers on concrete.. they still harbor coins.. only they are at the very edges of the concrete pads. I overlooked many hits at first because somewhere back in the recesses of my tiny little mamalian brain there was little voice that said.. "Nuh uh.. rebar" That's reinforcement "wire" or rods to those who don't know what rebar is. They lay the rebar down in the gravel and other aggregate then pour in the concrete and/or cement. Keeps the pads and sidewalks from cracking and falling apart. Well your metal detectors will get iron reads or even multiple type reads sometimes from rebar..till you tune them out with your descrimation. After I silenced that little nagging voice I started noticing that there are lots of "hits" right along the sides of these bleacher pads,sidewalks and even driveways. I've found over a hundred quarters right along the sides of these pads or just an inch or so off of them. People still have pocket dumps sitting in these concrete reinforced bleachers.. and while they may recover most of their coinage..some of it inevitably rolls off the edge of the pad right along side into the grass. Beep! Beep! Hello George!
<grin>

Also.. you probably allready knew this, but stand along side the bleachers and look around for the nearest concession stand or place where they park the mobile types.. imagine the foot traffic from the bleachers to the concessions.. and you will find lots of coins. Everyone loses change going and coming from the concessions. I've got over thirty bucks in recently recovered clad to prove that. some of it will even be right on top of the ground.. barely under the first few blades of grass if that deep. Ok, so it's not so much a challenge.. but it's still a find and it's spendable! Batteries and gas money! <smile>

Frodov

HH all
Thanks Frodov, I haven't tried that yet, but I will next time....
Keep safe and keep diggin'....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread