New record clovis

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
Do you have any evidence to support your claim of the bid being up to $1m? Since it's showed up to nearly every major show since August and the bidders don't seem to be lining up for this piece I have a hard time believing your claim.

Or, since this is your first post, are you one of the family members or entourage who follow the finder around at shows? Just curious.

Thanks,
Hippy

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I just heard Donald Trump bid 1.5 million, but the Barista at Starbucks said the Pope is planning a bid north of 2 mill.

(Note, I'm making fun of the hype regarding this point, not the point itself. I haven't seen it in person.)

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
ZakkWyldeRocker said:
Turns out it must be real...i found out yesterday it is still in private auction...one bidder is the ceo of wal-mart and another is national geographic...bidding is up to a cool million.........

Oh yeah, it must be real...lol. I hope Wallyworld gets Blackwell'd.

Oct 19, 2010
Hippy said:
Do you have any evidence to support your claim of the bid being up to $1m? Since it's showed up to nearly every major show since August and the bidders don't seem to be lining up for this piece I have a hard time believing your claim.

Or, since this is your first post, are you one of the family members or entourage who follow the finder around at shows? Just curious.

Thanks,
Hippy
Honestly i don't care if you believe me or not...I'm new to the rock world and just had a guy come look at some pieces i had handed down from my grandad. The guy that came and looked at my stuff was a friend of the guy who found the monster clovis...turns out he didn't even find it in calloway county...10 minutes from my house....he actually found it in northwest tennesse somewhere...calloway is just what he told the papers. And no....i've never been to a rock show.....besides many great concerts...lol....I'm a combat vet new to the rock hunting game...just got interested in this story cuz it's my hometown and got some inside info...like i said it's in a private auction....i have a GREAT job but not that great to be able to get in that kind of auction...i guess when national geographic ends up with it you'll believe me then but like i said....i have no reason to make this up...i'm not involved in any of it...just interested.

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
ZakkWyldeRocker said:
Hippy said:

Thanks,
Hippy
Honestly i don't care if you believe me or not...I'm new to the rock world and just had a guy come look at some pieces i had handed down from my grandad. The guy that came and looked at my stuff was a friend of the guy who found the monster clovis...turns out he didn't even find it in calloway county...10 minutes from my house....he actually found it in northwest tennesse somewhere...calloway is just what he told the papers. And no....i've never been to a rock show.....besides many great concerts...lol....I'm a combat vet new to the rock hunting game...just got interested in this story cuz it's my hometown and got some inside info...like i said it's in a private auction....i have a GREAT job but not that great to be able to get in that kind of auction...i guess when national geographic ends up with it you'll believe me then but like i said....i have no reason to make this up...i'm not involved in any of it...just interested.
Already a debate on where it was found?? Not good at all! If found somewhere and claimed to be somewhere else makes the artifact lose credability in a hurry. Just does not help at all. Hope it is legit , but????

Twig.

Oct 19, 2010
Bent-Twig said:
ZakkWyldeRocker said:
Hippy said:

Thanks,
Hippy
Already a debate on where it was found?? Not good at all! If found somewhere and claimed to be somewhere else makes the artifact lose credability in a hurry. Just does not help at all. Hope it is legit , but????

Twig.
No debate over where it was found....turns out he just told the papers calloway county which is in west ky...but i guess he actually found it in a creek in north west Tennesse...which is only 30 minutes from calloway county....just gave a false location to keep the spot hidden.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh cool !! Tn now has the world record clovis and we did not even know it.. :coffee2:

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes inquiring minds would like to know this auction!! So please stop being candid and kindly reveal the auction site. If you do not have this information, I think with your connection to the finder through the other gentleman you might be able to come up with it. I know and I think I speak for a lot of people here would love to know of this auction and date of sale. Thanks for your help in this......................GTP

P

pickaway

Well his (finder) kid was on a other board saying it was found in KY im thinking she just mite know ... :icon_pirat:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys will enjoy this old read about Kentucky clovis find. Here is the new link to the old article. Anyone find out what ever happened to this item?
HH
TnMtns

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very hard to tell from a pic.

I find it hard to believe that a piece that size would be practical.

'Ceremonial" is a term that pops up when we aren't sure....I doubt if it fits here, but anything is possible.

I would love to hold it. Interesting thread.

RutzClovis

Greenie
Feb 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
So did anyone ever get their hands on information about this auction or the point? Inquiring minds would like to know whether this was ever proved or disproved as a fake... Or what it sold for...

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Don't see what it sold for, nor any proof that it's real.... And the recent public sale of the Rutz Clovis still claims that it is the largest.

Kevenater

Jan 10, 2007
Cullman, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
My link is to show who the supposed purchaser is in case somebody wants to contact them for info. I ran across it by accident looking at my local cl. Searched for info since I didn't lnow there was a supposed new record. Saw this link to this post.

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Stumbled upon this older thread....read the whole thing and just gotta know.....what has happened to this artifact?.....and has a consensus ever been reached as to its authenticity?

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure want to believe it is true. If he has sold it,it will not really matter. Looks like it would be a grave item but we have no records of Clovis burials do we? Kill sites yes but burials I do not know. Giant and perfect. I would have made sure to get an insitu even if I had to hike back for a camera. Nice link thanks for sharing.
HH
TnMtns
I know this is an old thread.Was the Anzick site not considered a burial site? I thought it was the site of a child burial? Or is that not the right context for this type? I'm not good with Clovis history, still learning, I am super curious! I also have a question: I like to take pics of my finds insitu, mostly because at that moment, when I find it before I touch it, to me that is the BEST part of the find. Do you guys believe that an insitu pic is important for authentication? I feel like it does, just would like to know what you guys think?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread