Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff,

It's all about having options. There have been some really crazy people in those mountains. I have been threatened many times, but nothing ever came of it.

Take care,

Joe

I see that Joe.

Just saying there seems to be plenty of opportunities there to fall, & break your neck.
or even get lost and stroke out without any ones help.

(Fun Place !)

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
I see that Joe.

Just saying there seems to be plenty of opportunities there to fall, & break your neck.
or even get lost and stroke out without any ones help.

(Fun Place !)

I can vouch for that.

I was in there with Dale once looking for his mine on the south side of Black Top. Just walking along over the huge boulders on the side of the mountain, when all of a sudden I was doing a complete 360 in mid-air. Landed on my feet, but my Colt hit the rocks. I don't remember if I was hurting, but it was a shock.:tongue3:

Take care,

Joe

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Wrm,

Pretty much the same as today, except for the early trips. To be honest, I don't recall where we started from. West end of the range is best I can recall.

Good luck,

Joe

Thanks Joe,
One other question who built first water ranch and what year.
And back then was Garden Valley void of cactus like today. I guess I mean Saguaro.

Wrmickel

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did Wayne say old RW was killed off? He's not even on the show and it's like Jr Euing who killed off Randy?
I think some good information is coming out. Jesuit Priests and Petroglyphs leading to Treasure. Something I was just saying the Fake Stone Maps Thread that circle petroglyphs tell a Jesuit Treasure story about how to read the ground maps.

Did anyone catch the drill hole left of the Jesuit Cross Petroglyph?

The ladder symbol shows the depth of the mine or tells you have a measuring point nearby. Same stuff in the Catalina's down here.

To bad Joe they dumped your Black Legion now they're Jesuit's! Black Jesuit Legion! Dark lords of scary black hands! Devil symbols, DAMN it sound's like the same stuff I'm posting.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK I SAY.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
PM me with your name, I also lived in Montrose for nine years.

I did, but if you watched today's episode you heard my name mentioned. I died a few years back :)

Someone asked Joe about driving in. The only place you used to be able to drive in further was to Parker Pass via first water trailhead. They eventually pushed the boundary back to the current first water trail head.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
It isn't quality TV- far from it. Also GGL wasn't a "choice," they were the one that thought there was something to be exploited here and tried to do something along the lines of the drama that you see in "Gold Rush," "Ax men," and so and on, but the problem is that those shows deal in fairly simple concepts (finding gold or lumber) which allows for the drama to take center stage.

The history of the Supes, on the other hand, is complicated, with quite a few players, and much better suited for a PBS or NG type documentary. So in that regard, you are right, GGL is a very bad match for this complex subject. They have the wrong mindset.

Trying to pair up, and quickly sum the complex history of the Supes, yet have time for contrived drama, is just backfiring on them. Viewers interested in actual history find the drama distracting, and the viewers who enjoy drama aren't interested in history.

And those who really know the history of the Supes are doubling over in laughter.

Well said but there is always a choice. I know of at least two gentleman who are sitting on stories that would keep you eagerly listening. They are waiting for their spotlight in the sun or for their legs to give out, who knows. You have one chance with this sort of thing (TV).

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did Wayne say old RW was killed off? He's not even on the show and it's like Jr Euing who killed off Randy?
I think some good information is coming out. Jesuit Priests and Petroglyphs leading to Treasure. Something I was just saying the Fake Stone Maps Thread that circle petroglyphs tell a Jesuit Treasure story about how to read the ground maps.

Did anyone catch the drill hole left of the Jesuit Cross Petroglyph?

The ladder symbol shows the depth of the mine or tells you have a measuring point nearby. Same stuff in the Catalina's down here.

To bad Joe they dumped your Black Legion now they're Jesuit's! Black Jesuit Legion! Dark lords of scary black hands! Devil symbols, DAMN it sound's like the same stuff I'm posting.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK I SAY.

Hope they get Father Guido Sarducci to set the record straight on Jesuit involvement.

bigtimedeal

Feb 3, 2011
FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I really like watching the show. It stirs the imagination. Who wouldn't want to join a team on a quest for treasure?!

It seemed like were thrilled about Bob's map last week - thrilled enough to give him a 25% cut. Then this week they seemed to move on to a new theory quickly.

Are they saying that Waltz found a cache left by the Jesuits?

Sure it's tv - scripted, planned and spiced up to add excitement. It's still fun, especially if you use suspension of disbelief. I'm not looking for LDM, but I do plan to head to AZ and UT in Apr 2015 and it's exciting to see the terrain. The show makes waiting easier

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't get it? Anyway, if they look anything like this they might be authentic.

View attachment 1128941 View attachment 1128942

Those look to be authentic. How old? I don't know, but the red hand print on the right you can slightly see the green moss/whatever it is over parts of the red color. Now that would not have been put there recently! Thanks for sharing!

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Those look to be authentic. How old? I don't know, but the red hand print on the right you can slightly see the green moss/whatever it is over parts of the red color. Now that would not have been put there recently! Thanks for sharing!
No clue however they are old and one of the few examples that exist here in NJ.
I read about it in an old book (1906) and it took me two years to find it 100 yards from a dirt road. I had asked for help and permission to see it from Park Rangers and they refused. The last time I parked and walked in they (Rangers) were waiting at my car. One says "did you find it?" I showed him the photos and he just shook his head.

View attachment 1128945
There are more marks now only viewable with IR.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in any event.

If it's old, I'm sure who ever did it is no threat now.
but could be a good area to search.
& if new it's more likely someone playing indian.
but I'd search anyway

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Red hands are to mark where there was death. They have nothing to do with treasure. It could be where someone died or mark the area where they were buried.

Last edited:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't read the entire thread, pardon me if some one else mentioned this, but I remember reading about red and black hands as being cache signs of the Knights of the Golden Circle.

Black hand meaning simply a cache of weapons or bullion, red hands meaning booby trapped cache.:dontknow:

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Is it near or in a cave? Whats the story of the area?
Its a shelter, not really a cave and it sits beside a spring and small pond.
The natives were gone from this area fairly early on.
A short hike up from the Delaware River, not to far from sacred Minisink Island.
Lenape. Minsi.
Look above my head.

Not sure about the significance of RED hands and death and there are no treasures associated with this site other than the marks themselves.
It was just an example of authentic hand prints.
View attachment 1128975

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I did, but if you watched today's episode you heard my name mentioned. I died a few years back :)

That certainly gave me pause when Tuttle said that.

But hey, at least your death helped them "triangulate" and isolate the bat cave as the headquarters of those infernal cloak-wearing Jesuits who apparently walk around in sneakers, if I saw correctly. :tongue3:

The nearest mission the Jesuits had at any time to the Supes, was Xavier del Bac, almost 150 miles to the south and even then wasn't consistently administered until 1756 by Fr. Espinosa. Between singlehandedly building the church, baptizing, preaching, running a mission, and fending off the occasional Apache attack, I'm quite impressed he had the time to sneak in a 300 mile round trip up north via horseback, with the express purpose of booby-trapping a small cave with baling wire!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't read the entire thread, pardon me if some one else mentioned this, but I remember reading about red and black hands as being cache signs of the Knights of the Golden Circle.

Black hand meaning simply a cache of weapons or bullion, red hands meaning booby trapped cache.:dontknow:

the way I see it if indians put that hand there they may have lost relics there.
or someone may have decided that's a good place to use for a cache.

if someone else put it there to scare treasure Hunters that believe in spooks,
they may have a cache hidden there.

Last edited:

Culinary Caveman

Jan 25, 2011
relocated to Wyoming
I tried to watch the show with an open mind. I tried to just enjoy the adventure, the scenery and the story. Sadly it has become difficult even for me to watch and as anyone who knows me will tell you, I'm a huge fan of a good yarn. Sad, just sad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread