new show on the dutchman

Island Maser

Mar 9, 2015
Scottsdale
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may remember me saying this before.
My first look at the sups was google earth.
So when I finally put boots on the ground. I was completely unprepared. So Im glad folks get to see the real terrain. Still I love those mountains. I could be up there everyday. If I didn't live so far away.

I agree the area is brutally rugged and it is very easy to get in over your head out there. I only go in deep when I have the right gear and people I am confident in there hiking abilities and survival skills.
I have refused to go with some guys just because I don't trust there judgement and abilities in certain situations. I have also done a lot of searching on Google Earth. Without laying the route over a hand
held GPS it is very easy to get turned around.

I recently was out there with the wife just looking for access points. I was leaving a bread crumb trail with my Jeep GPS just as a last resort. It had rained a few
days before so there was only one other set of Jeep tracks that I saw that day. We were talking and driving and just enjoying the scenery. On the way out we came to a fork that I didn't even notice on the way
in. I got out to look for our old tracks and I had to hike both trails a bit to confirm the right route. Even the Jeep left very little track over the rocks. GPS would have been my last resort. I love following trails
until they end just to see whats there and to put down another GPS track I can overlay onto Google Earth.

Being a Newb I can see how the hard core hunters see issues with the show. I was hooked before the first episode as I had just been reading all the information I could find up to that point. Being about an hour
from the area the show has gotten me off the couch and out in the mountains. There just so many cool things to see out there. I find that just stopping every 5 minutes or so just to look around and take in each
area opens up new possible areas to search. If you want to see new unexplored ground you really need to become a mountain goat. Attached is a picture of the real deal from my last trip. I love the show and think it
is great. With all the crap on TV today this is very interesting TV. I like all the gold shows like Gold Rush, Bearing Sea Gold and Ice Cold Gold. On Ice Cold Gold I saw Greenland not giving them access permits as soon as
they made the find. This is what big governments do. 2015-03-04 17.51.56.jpg

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom k said on fb that there is a bill of sale from the peraltas to waltzs. He didnt say who had it.
He also said that waltzs tried for 10 months to explain how he got the mine,and where it was located. If this is true,and I have no reason not to believe him. How did dick holmes get involved.

Don't know anything about the Bill of Sale from Peralta's to Waltz - if there is or was a real document to that effect I doubt it exists today.

Waltz supposedly spent months on and off trying to explain to Julia and Rhiney how to get to the mine/caches but eventually gave up because they either weren't paying attention or just were not experienced enough to understand his directions so he decided in the end to go with them as far as he could and then point out the rest of the way.

Holmes got involved because he was supposedly one of the last couple people to see Waltz alive by his bedside while Julia went for the Dr. During the time between Julia leaving and returning, the story goes that Waltz told the story of how he got the mine and made a confession of killing a number of people and then tried giving at least some directions to Holmes.

Whether any of that is really true is always open for debate, but two facts we do know are:

1) Julia and Rhiney searched for his gold source at least once - they eventually added Hermann and Gottfried to the mix and they searched on and off for many years

2) Dick Holmes searched for his gold source for many years and passed the information along to his son Brownie who also searched for many years before passing his information on to Clay Worst who has also searched for it for many years.

No matter what actually "went down" with Waltz the last year or so of his life and what he told about his gold source, he had to have told them something for them to spend so much time, money and effort to search for it.

Island Maser

Mar 9, 2015
Scottsdale
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They get busted by the feds and wind up as famous guests of Joe Arpaio.
Next season you will be able to watch them hiking the wilds of local freeways, all in matching pink jumpsuits and pickin trash.
Tune in to hear Frank say...." He guys, look at this old letter I found. It's written in SPANISH !!"
Will Woody be afraid of that guy in the upper bunk ?...."He's been lookin at me kinda funny an I've heard stories"

Maybe they want some of Joe's Pink designer underwear!

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Tom k said on fb that there is a bill of sale from the peraltas to waltzs. He didnt say who had it.
He also said that waltzs tried for 10 months to explain how he got the mine,and where it was located. If this is true,and I have no reason not to believe him. How did dick holmes get involved.

Are you certain that he wrote that? Will you cut and paste the quote here? I never heard that before.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Isn't the life of the show dependant upon finding the treasure?

The life of the show is dependent on it's ability to fool people. So far it hasn't fooled most people on here- but then the people on here are very knowledgeable.

No idea about the rest of the country.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
The life of the show is dependent on it's ability to fool people. So far it hasn't fooled most people on here- but then the people on here are very knowledgeable.

Produce for the masses and eat with the classes.

pkdmslf

Feb 26, 2015
Aridzona
Detector(s) used
El Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Television Shows:
Searching For Bigfoot- Did you ever see the Bigfoot, did they show indisputable proof? NO.
Ghost Adventures: Other than staged items moving, falling or noises coming from off-camera, NOTHING.
Oak Island: NOTHING
There are others with the same results.
Are they going to find the LDM? NO.
Where's the gold? Watch all of the advertisements. More advertisement minutes than actual show minutes.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Television Shows:
Searching For Bigfoot- Did you ever see the Bigfoot, did they show indisputable proof? NO.
Ghost Adventures: Other than staged items moving, falling or noises coming from off-camera, NOTHING.
Oak Island: NOTHING
There are others with the same results.
Are they going to find the LDM? NO.
Where's the gold? Watch all of the advertisements. More advertisement minutes than actual show minutes.

Hard to believe but my brother and I both watched something brown, large, hairy and upright walking through wetlands near Hight Point NJ in 1972. Still not sure what we were looking at. Either a very large human playing a joke or something unknown. We only have garbage eating black bears in NJ.

I am holding out hope that the program somehow redeems itself in the final episode.
Someone please let me know.

Island Maser

Mar 9, 2015
Scottsdale
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to believe but my brother and I both watched something brown, large, hairy and upright walking through wetlands near Hight Point NJ in 1972. Still not sure what we were looking at. Either a very large human playing a joke or something unknown. We only have garbage eating black bears in NJ.

I am holding out hope that the program somehow redeems itself in the final episode.
Someone please let me know.

The government believes. I have a friend who inherited some land near the swamps in Florida. He was looking into developing the property. Protected habitat.
He asked "Protecting What". Skunk apes!!! True story! Much better hearing the story directly from him after 4 or 5 cocktails.

3stooge

Greenie
Apr 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first episode of this superstition mountain show I'd swear they caught a bigfoot on night vision video. They only showed it for a second but at the time I watched it I was thinking that sure looked like bigfoot. Anybody remember that?

winchester3030

Tenderfoot
Dec 24, 2014
Mohave County, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree the area is brutally rugged and it is very easy to get in over your head out there. I only go in deep when I have the right gear and people I am confident in there hiking abilities and survival skills.
I have refused to go with some guys just because I don't trust there judgement and abilities in certain situations. I have also done a lot of searching on Google Earth. Without laying the route over a hand
held GPS it is very easy to get turned around.

I recently was out there with the wife just looking for access points. I was leaving a bread crumb trail with my Jeep GPS just as a last resort. It had rained a few
days before so there was only one other set of Jeep tracks that I saw that day. We were talking and driving and just enjoying the scenery. On the way out we came to a fork that I didn't even notice on the way
in. I got out to look for our old tracks and I had to hike both trails a bit to confirm the right route. Even the Jeep left very little track over the rocks. GPS would have been my last resort. I love following trails
until they end just to see whats there and to put down another GPS track I can overlay onto Google Earth.

Being a Newb I can see how the hard core hunters see issues with the show. I was hooked before the first episode as I had just been reading all the information I could find up to that point. Being about an hour
from the area the show has gotten me off the couch and out in the mountains. There just so many cool things to see out there. I find that just stopping every 5 minutes or so just to look around and take in each
area opens up new possible areas to search. If you want to see new unexplored ground you really need to become a mountain goat. Attached is a picture of the real deal from my last trip. I love the show and think it
is great. With all the crap on TV today this is very interesting TV. I like all the gold shows like Gold Rush, Bearing Sea Gold and Ice Cold Gold. On Ice Cold Gold I saw Greenland not giving them access permits as soon as
they made the find. This is what big governments do. View attachment 1129781

Hey IM, great post, and I agree with all of your sentiments.. Enjoy the show(s) for what they are, entertainment value. It is a mix of fact and fiction, but the name says it all....LEGEND.
Get out there, look around, enjoy the scenery, but above all BE SAFE and be smart. I Always bring a friend, let others know where we will be and when to expect us back, and bring enough water for at least an extra day. Never been in the Supes, but NW Arizona has a few "lost mines" and legends too. While not quite as hazardous as the Supes, the Cerbats, Black Mountains, and Gold basin are fairly rough areas too.
Oh, and just a small correction. Your photo is of a big horn sheep, not a mountain goat. Probably does not make a difference to anyone but other sheep! Have fun and be safe out there.

Winchester

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona

But your watching it and I know you won't miss #6

johnmark29020

Oct 8, 2012
oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you certain that he wrote that? Will you cut and paste the quote here? I never heard that before.

Its always possible I misunderstood. I will try to find the post. It should be on his page since he posted it.

I just went over the post,and I have to apologize. You were correct if questioning. I apparently misread. It was a series of post about fake doucuments concerning the ldm. I didnt find the one I remembered,but it had to be part of fake docs.
I hate egg on my face,but that what I get for reading to fast.

Last edited:

Island Maser

Mar 9, 2015
Scottsdale
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey IM, great post, and I agree with all of your sentiments.. Enjoy the show(s) for what they are, entertainment value. It is a mix of fact and fiction, but the name says it all....LEGEND.
Get out there, look around, enjoy the scenery, but above all BE SAFE and be smart. I Always bring a friend, let others know where we will be and when to expect us back, and bring enough water for at least an extra day. Never been in the Supes, but NW Arizona has a few "lost mines" and legends too. While not quite as hazardous as the Supes, the Cerbats, Black Mountains, and Gold basin are fairly rough areas too.
Oh, and just a small correction. Your photo is of a big horn sheep, not a mountain goat. Probably does not make a difference to anyone but other sheep! Have fun and be safe out there.

Winchester

You are correct and I knew that. They are just as nimble in the rocks. Young one but he stood above me showing off in the evening sun for a long time.

Last edited:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
But your watching it and I know you won't miss #6

No sir!

But not because I'm expecting any satisfying answers. I know we'll all be left dangling, but I'm curious to see why the show decided to take a sudden left turn, plot-wise.

Last edited:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The first episode of this superstition mountain show I'd swear they caught a bigfoot on night vision video. They only showed it for a second but at the time I watched it I was thinking that sure looked like bigfoot. Anybody remember that?

That's not likely, but with that series anything goes. The Gila/Salt region is too dry, doesn't have a sufficient food source and is not on a migratory route for either of the two North American hominoids - the Saquatch (Bigfoot) or the Alma (Skunk Ape). The two David Paulides books are quite revealing for those interested in the Pacific Northwest Bigfoot variety. My long time NM exploration partner endorsed those books, and he ought to know after he and a fishing companion had quite an encounter at Lost Lake in the Marble Mountain Wilderness back in about 1969.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions