New site in the middle of nowhere and boy is it weird!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a brand new permission and it has a ton of promise. It's a few miles into the woods off the main road, but it's a fairly wide field. The intriguing part is that at the far end of the field is a cemetery that isn't marked on any of the old maps despite the fact that there are almost 80 headstones dating from 1800-1840's. What are on the maps are two buildings at the front of the field by the road and my thinking is that the mapmakers couldn't see the graveyard behind the houses when they went through. Still very strange though; the town center has the historic cemetery, and there are a bunch of different families here so it's not just a single family plot.

DSC09328.JPG

Anyways, besides reading the headstones I gave the cemetery a wide berth and focused on where the two houses would have been. Right away I discovered this would be a tough field. Has anyone else come across this stuff before?

DSC09341.JPG DSC09340.JPG

I'm fairly sure it's melted zinc, but it rings in the high 70's to 90's and some of the rounder pieces have the exact same response as coins. I dug almost 10 pounds of the stuff since it's in every corner of this field and at all depths. Zinc roofing and a fire perhaps? Until I clear it all out I don't think I have any hope of finding coins and smaller relics. Now onto the weird stuff.

DSC09332.JPG DSC09333.JPG DSC09334.JPG DSC09335.JPG DSC09336.JPG DSC09337.JPG

There haven't been structures in this field in recent memory so I thought it would be only older targets. Unfortunately there was tons of trash and then these pieces: The button is apparently a 1900-1930's "Art Metal Works Newark NJ" army uniform button. :icon_scratch: The badge I believe may be US army corp. of engineers based on the castle, but I couldn't find an exact match online. The next is a heavy brass piece that almost looks like a knife ferrule, but it's very short. I was super excited about the brass case since it has a very nice design and looked old and fancy, but as it turns out it's a 1950's Avon rouge case. Still has a bunch of rouge left though so that's good. :laughing7:

DSC09331.JPG DSC09330.JPG

Fortunately I found a nice batwing buckle which is a great sign, and the little halter buckles are good too; gives me hope that there are older targets under the trash signals. I found two full axe blades which I always enjoy digging and tons of iron relics that also may be older. Things are freezing again this weekend but hopefully it'll thaw soon and I can get back to clearing and digging!

Upvote 25
L

l2hunt

some pretty nice finds, and i also dug up quite a bit of the slag, is what i call it hahaha but it rings up so nice ya have to dig i guess! HH

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Nice digs. The blobby metal looks like slag to me. I have a few sites that have that. You often find it strewn in old road beds. It's metal waste from local refineries or metal casters . That ferrule looking thing is part of a scythe handle. I've got a bunch of them from over the years. I forget what they are called, but they sound awfully nice when you swing your coil over them :laughing7:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a nice permission! Looks like you have been having fun and you even found some goodies!
Congrats and keep hunting. I have a feeling you will be finding some better stuff once you get the feel of it.
Keep digging and posting the stuff you find.
Good story too! :occasion14:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, like the axe heads. The melted blobs are likely Babbitt Metal alloy, used in bearings etc.

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! I think any time a buckle like that shows up, it will be a good site. Yeah, those metal blobs suck... there is an old-ish foundry in my town and that stuff is littered for acres... it's like the workers there had contests to see who could throw it the farthest! At least it keeps you from getting bored, right? Good luck!

mag pie

Mar 10, 2017
WI
Detector(s) used
Older model White's and have used Compass in the past.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"is a cemetery that isn't marked on any of the old maps despite the fact that there are almost 80 headstones dating from 1800-1840's",

a reminder that all cemetery plots are required by law to be registered with the States Historical Society. If not on any maps, contact the State for more information.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know, I would hold off reporting anything to State Gov. for now. It IS private property, and any Gov. entity today as we know it, would probably want to declare it a National Historic Site or something, with No Metal Detecting allowed. For now, GREAT site, lot's of potential. Enjoy it.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know, I would hold off reporting anything to State Gov. for now. It IS private property, and any Gov. entity today as we know it, would probably want to declare it a National Historic Site or something, with No Metal Detecting allowed. For now, GREAT site, lot's of potential. Enjoy it.

If the state wanted to do that they'd sure have their work cut out for them; it seems everyone I talk to knows about another obscure graveyard deep in the woods that they remember from when they were kids and so far they've all been correct! Someone just showed me another one not 50 feet from the road that I've driven by hundreds of times, but sure enough it was there with headstones going back to the late 1700's. Seems they're everywhere in this area, but usually they're just family plot sized (5-20 headstones).

I'm fortunate that there are three different maps for my area at slightly different years by all mid to late 1800's. Between the three the graveyards are very well marked, but this one was left off. The town historical society is well aware of this site though and not many years back they and the landowner put together some volunteers to straighten and fix the headstones as well as clear the brush. The landowner and I have been talking a lot about it and she's just as curious about the property's history as well as the odd placement of this graveyard, but in her words the historical society is not nearly as curious. I guess after the restoration project that was it so she's hopeful that I can turn up with my research and digging.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find lead and melted aluminum cans that look and ring up like that. Aluminum melts around 1200 degrees, but lead melts around 400 degrees. You may wish to get some lopes for inspecting and figure out the best way to clean each item. But some things are better left untouched. I hope your drawing out a map of the area and griding it out best you can. Looks like that site will give you finds for years to come.

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that is melted Babbit it is worth some money... Nice job on the research for the new site.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THE BATWING BUCKLE NICE.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
a reminder that all cemetery plots are required by law to be registered with the States Historical Society. If not on any maps, contact the State for more information.
Is that a Federal law, or a law in the state you reside in? Sounds like a state law to me.

(PS: I like the lady's compact! I have a collection of two so far)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ferrule is a scythe handle ferrule. Agree that the batwing buckle indicates mid 1800s

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If appropriate, show the land owner what you've been finding and keep him/her informed and interested and you'll get continuing permission. Look for old roads, parking (even horse and buggy) places, or look at the area between the cemetery and nearest road and houses/buildings. Great permission.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting