New spot...

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went out to scout an area about 2 miles south of my house and a little under a mile west. Walked up and down the creek for a third of a mile or so. Pretty wild area. Saw a coyote from15 feet away on the other bank of the creek even. We just stood there and looked at each other for a minute then I waved my arms and he ran off, cool. I have found modest amounts of gold in this creek downstream and I've been hoping to find a decent deposit. Most of this creek is just a sand bottom, lacking gravel or cobbles. I found a decent looking spot with at least some cobbles, hmm. Getting dark (hate that part of this time of year) so better dip a pan in the water. Ran one pan of creek bed material down to the black sand, saw one flake...better take this home to examine in decent light! At home I found that I had one decent/small flake and 5 more specks. Worth going back to with a sluice so I'm taking Tweetabear there tomorrow afternoon so he can see a bazooka in action!

Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Deal Kevin! I'd almost kill to have a good spot that close to the homestead. You and Tweetabear have fun and don't leave even a scrap for anyone else!

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did it look TweetaBear?
Hope you guys knocked it out of the park!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
image-4051205617.jpg Here's our gold. Not the best ever but just 3 miles from where tweetabear is working ;-) ...another view or two image-3809506084.jpg

Attachments

• image-502870858.jpg
    image-502870858.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
im farly new to this whole thing so... i did learn a few things. now im gonna check out the creek thats about the same distance from my house. dont have my BGT yet but hey its suppose to be nice the next couple of days so ill keep my keene in service until my new ones get here. i can tell you that the amount kevin and i found in our 2hrs maybe is more then ive gotten by myself ever!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having good areas close by is way cool. Some of my claims only 15 minutes from the house and running gravels in mere minutes is great. John

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Soooo true Terry and John! (And I feel honored by your attention, humbled by encouragement from you who have much more expert/experienced than I)

The creeks in the south Denver area run basically from south to north and I've found at least a little gold in every one of them at this point. There were several placer mines down here 120 years ago but that history is quite forgotten so people are amazed to learn there is gold in their local, neighborhood creek...and even under their house ;-) as those old mine sites are now condo complexes and golf courses.

I sure have fun sniffing around like a real old-timer prospector as I search out the mini-honey holes! It helps that the local parks districts own all the creek beds and are generally quite welcoming to non-motorized activities such as rock hounding and mineral collecting in our extensive undeveloped park spaces. Last month I even took a member of the governing board of the parks n rec district for my area out prospecting in one of "their" open space parks...she loved it!

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job Kevin! Get the gov beaurocrats out and show them we are not the distructive monsters the envirowackos make us out to be. If we could show more of them we might have a better chance.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Soooo true Terry and John! (And I feel honored by your attention, humbled by encouragement from you who have much more expert/experienced than I)

The creeks in the south Denver area run basically from south to north and I've found at least a little gold in every one of them at this point. There were several placer mines down here 120 years ago but that history is quite forgotten so people are amazed to learn there is gold in their local, neighborhood creek...and even under their house ;-) as those old mine sites are now condo complexes and golf courses.

I sure have fun sniffing around like a real old-timer prospector as I search out the mini-honey holes! It helps that the local parks districts own all the creek beds and are generally quite welcoming to non-motorized activities such as rock hounding and mineral collecting in our extensive undeveloped park spaces. Last month I even took a member of the governing board of the parks n rec district for my area out prospecting in one of "their" open space parks...she loved it!
Tnx for the pat on the back, Kevin.... but I'll bet the only difference between me and you is I make more NOISE about me! TTC

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tnx for the pat on the back, Kevin.... but I'll bet the only difference between me and you is I make more NOISE about me! TTC
yeah right, that and an extra decade or two of experience and expertise. Sorry but I am keeping you up on the pedestal ;-)

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Real lucky that you have ground that close. Mine is 45 minutes to 2 hours away.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Real lucky that you have ground that close. Mine is 45 minutes to 2 hours away.
Very true and I sure do appreciate it! Been out three times this month already since it's so easy and close :)

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice if you live anywhere near that recent flooding check it out. I know more gold is being uncovered all the time

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
nice if you live anywhere near that recent flooding check it out. I know more gold is being uncovered all the time

Oh, yes, the results of the floods have been quite amazing. Less than a mile from me some massive erosion exposed part of the ancient river channel which is the source of the gold down here in south Denver. I was able to sample the exposed material and confirmed there was gold in the cobbles of that riverbed. Way cool!

image-1014036834.jpg

image-878805144.jpg

It was dusky when I took the pics, sorry for that. This shows the exposed bedrock with some gold bearing material between the stones. Really glad I got to see this and sample it as the Urban Drainage staff came out quickly to "repair" everything and buried it all. :(

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice looking ground Kevin...:occasion14:

I need to find me a new spot locally, as well. The spot we've
been working for a few months isn't producing, but since the
waters at such a low level right now I'm hunting for some bedrock
to work over.

They buried it all? What is their justification for it? Around here,
if there's a creek that blows out and causes damage to the roadway
then they fix the roadway, and just enough of the creek to support
the roadway, but that's about all.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was just horrified at what they did...there isn't even a road near by, this is in the middle of a large, undeveloped open space wild park. Sadly the current fad in such park care involves creating gently sloping banks so they went at it and turned my wild creek full of gold into something that looks like it runs thru a golf course or maybe thru Disneyland! My only consolation is knowing that the next big storm will tear up a lot of what they've done..a waste of public funds as it won't last. I figure it will take time but nature prevails and will expose the gold again.

Meanwhile I have several other wild, gold producing spots I can still enjoy on several creeks, all within a few miles of my house. I try to count my gold prospecting blessings ;-)

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That looked like some good cobble..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread