mmbrown2000

Nov 22, 2013
Carmichael, CA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone :hello:
I'm basically just starting out. I've panned before but it was guided. I'm researching areas now, but am wondering how exactly you get hold of records to tell if a place is already claimed. I've read that the records are supposed to be at the county courthouse. Has anyone done this before? I mean, do you just go and ask to copy the records for the area your interested in? Or do you just look and make notes? I know areas are supposed to be marked, but sometimes the posts get knocked down, worn, etc.

Upvote 0

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi MM, and welcome.
That is what I did. I went to the county recorders office and asked to see the claims records. They are open to the public. Copy or take notes but will help to be looking in the area you are interested in so you don't waste alot of time. I also helps if you know a claim name or owners name but chances of having that info is probably out.The records are there to view.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you so much BH Prospector!
get a blm map of the area and get the location your interested in . The go to the blm office closest and they will help with the information . Now they won't do your work for you but will give the information your looking for and you have to search for the information . Or if your in the area your looking into and can find a claim stake . Keep in mind even though there mabe a claim it tag it still may be no good but had never been removed so wright it down and you can take that to the blm and find the information quicker . And if it's claim is active the ground resounding it may not be .

OP
OP
mmbrown2000

mmbrown2000

Nov 22, 2013
Carmichael, CA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you Jair. I didn't realize we had BLM offices that we could access. All good stuff. I can't wait til I have a vehicle again. Hopefully a truck in Jan/Feb! and room to do all this. Exciting :hello2:

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also learn how to use the BLM LR2000 program to find the sam info Jair mentioned. Find post in the prospecting forum by Tim C and his brother Terry C. They both have great info on how to use it.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
...or go to a meeting of a local prospecting club and ask for help...most are very welcoming to newbies.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BLM maps don't show anything under 80 acres,just look at the map,most are old also. The FS land stewardship maps can be obtained in a 7.5 minute topographic style and are the absolute latest most accurate info as to where you can look as much closed/private/restricted entry. THEN BLM LR 2000 is the next step-NOT ACCURATE or current but all we have to look up claims by name/location/or claimants name. THEN down to the County recorders office to see who is current on filings/taxes and if indeed even filed correctly. Then off ya go feets on the ground to prospect what you find open. Then you enter the nightmare world of claim filing and THAT is yet altogether another oddysey into the land of insipid bureaucracy-John

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In El dorado county the recorder clerk is not at the courthouse they are at the county offices off of Fairlane in Placerville. The Motherlode field office for BLM is in El Dorado hills but, they aren't much help. Also claims do not have to be marked and most of the time are not. There are acres upon acres of un-claimable land that you can detect and prospect, For you to get your feet wet before you try to claim any. Look up the Motherlode Goldhounds they are an old established local club with outings.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can also learn how to use the BLM LR2000 program to find the sam info Jair mentioned. Find post in the prospecting forum by Tim C and his brother Terry C. They both have great info on how to use it.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector
Tnx, B H!!! It's hard to be humble with friends keeping the "rep" alive! MM.... go to my name (TerryC) and search through my posts of about a year ago. You will eventually see two posts that are what B H Prospector is talking about. They are site-specific (Stanton AZ) but can be used for any BLM area that has gold claims. CA is not as user-friendly as AZ is so you may wish to swing out to the Stanton area to do your prospecting. As I have said many times before, I GAURANTEE you will find gold in the areas me or TimC point out for you. Yes, I guarantee you that I can point to the ground and tell you DIG HERE and you WILL have gold in the pan! This can be done by telephone also.... meaning, if you PM me and leave a phone number, I can call and we will coordinate by phone.... using Google Earth... and I will show you where to dig. TimC and I have put several T-netters onto gold. We put Jerry onto gold and he found $178 worth on the first day.... about 6 hours of digging! He has come back several times to find more since that first day.... and is at the site RIGHT NOW, as I write this...... from Indiana! Others from Michigan, Oklahoma, and other states have also taken us up on it. I no longer live out there (now in FL) but just passed through there a few days ago. A certain minimum of equipment is needed... not much. You will learn all you need to know from me, TimC, or the other fine people on this TreasureNet.... the best on the net! TTC

Last edited:

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry! Florida? Really?!! Why??? Just kidding bud, I have an uncle who retired navy in Pensicola. I'd like to MT on the beaches there some day, find some Spanish gold lol. Nice to see you on again.

BH Prospector

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BLM maps don't show anything under 80 acres,just look at the map,most are old also. The FS land stewardship maps can be obtained in a 7.5 minute topographic style and are the absolute latest most accurate info as to where you can look as much closed/private/restricted entry. THEN BLM LR 2000 is the next step-NOT ACCURATE or current but all we have to look up claims by name/location/or claimants name. THEN down to the County recorders office to see who is current on filings/taxes and if indeed even filed correctly. Then off ya go feets on the ground to prospect what you find open. Then you enter the nightmare world of claim filing and THAT is yet altogether another oddysey into the land of insipid bureaucracy-John

John, does a person get these FS land stewardship maps directly from a Forest Service office or do we order them online? I take it they are different than the typical 7.5' quad map. If ordered online, could you provide a link? I've looked but have not found.

Thanks John,
Mike

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get them directly at the main chartography facility here in Redding on Airport road. Main office also. I got a tour of their new hi falutin' equipment about 6 years back before moved into new buildings on Airport. Best a the best and their topo maps make the USGS look like junk. All USGS available on cd now so survey shops,back paking,sports,mountaineering,biking and ski shops sell them also now. CD lets them print up whatever ya want as many 10's a 1,000s a maps makes the inventory massive but click print soooo cool. My biz had at least 25,000 at all times and a HUGE area and hastle to maintain. Spend the extra 50 cent for weather proofing also. John

cjg20232

Greenie
Oct 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
invest in minecache its far better than any thing I have found for finding claims on the internet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions