New thought on glaciers

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just had a new thought on the glaciation in Wisconsin. What if the north polar ice sheet shifted south during the Biblical flood and pushed everything around?

Here's what the ice sheet on Lake Winnebago can do in a wind. Think of what a continent sized ice sheet could do if it got moving!

IMG_2953.JPG
IMG_2954.JPG

So instead of a couple thousand year march, the bottom of the floating ice sheet bulldozed everything rather quickly.

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
It was gold prospecting that caused me to get interested in geology , and the history of the world. There are glaciation maps that show evidence of more than one ice age , with glacial material moved at separate times that can be traced to an original location hundreds of miles from where it sits now. Not just one ice age , but multiple ice ages , wearing down mountain ranges and digging what would become the great lakes. I used to believe the popular theory of the Earth being only 6,000 to 10,000 years old but after seeing the geologic and glacial evidence with my own eyes I know this planet is very much older. I still have faith in the biblical version of history , only with the stipulation that it is a simplified and not necessarily word for word account , meaning there is truth in it .....though every detail and timeline are not necessarily fact. Even though some glaciers can form and even move relatively quick , relatively......compared to others , multiple ice ages and glacier movements and the distance involved , tell the story of a huge amount of time......as do grooves in bedrock left by giant glaciers as they scraped away all the soil above it. Nobody knows the full story , but there is plenty of specific evidence to rule a few things out.

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
I'm mainly looking at what would happen if that ice sheet moved south for some reason during the time where there was a way for it to really move. Where it would act like a well lubricated glacier. I know a while back they were worried about a volcano under the ice sheet of Antarctica providing enough heat to catastrophically slide the sheet. We know that WI was covered in ocean during the Silurian times, as that formed the dolomite found in Door County. But looking at the lake bottom, the rock features seem more east-west than the north-south that the glaciers supposedly moved. It looks more like a revolving mass of ice did it, kinda like a floor buffer pattern. The north-south debris patterns may have been from ice sheared off of that rotating mass. The only thing big and round, and made of ice, is the Arctic ice sheet. So, what makes a floating ice sheet move off the pole? Asteroid impact? Actually, Lake Michigan kinda looks like a low angle hit, because the lake slowly gets deeper from Chicago northward to Kewanee, and gets rapidly shallower from Kewanee to Beaver Island. Gray's Reef to the north of Beaver Island shows the east-west cutting of the glacier/ice sheet, so that area was dug by ice.

So, we know it was done by ice, we just don't know the form it took to do what it did.

And annual layers in ice sheets may not be true. They may be records of individual snowstorms.

No offense , but this sounds a lot less like following evidence and a lot more like trying to find a way to make the evidence fit a pre supposed conclusion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread