New Tiger Shark and New Sand Scoop -- BIG BUST!

alexisntx

May 12, 2007
Well, I got a new Tiger Shark and Sand Scoop for my BIG visit to Maui and I found out within minutes the two are too much for me to handle due to my health. I have to give those of you that beach and surf hunt much credit for being strong and agile enough for it. I'm back home and my pair are for sale after my one attempt. If any interest, see the following: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,136880.0.html

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Highwater

Nov 3, 2007
Shasta County, CA.
Detector(s) used
White's: XLT, MXT, Tesoro: Sand Shark, Tiger Shark. Fisher: 1266X. Minelab: Musketeer.
Alex,
Both the Sand shark and Tiger shark are big and bulky and have a weighted coil. You need to hip mount the control box to take the load off your arm. You may even have to try out a straight shaft.
I don't know what kind of scoop you have, but if it is too heavy then go with an aluminum scoop and/or something smaller. There are a lot of types of scoops on the market.
I hate to see you give it up with only one try at it. Beach hunting is great once you get set up for it. You might want to reconsider selling and try the hip mount first. Highwater

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
Aloha, if you just left, then you were hunting here in the winter.. And man Yes it gets rough. The summers are much more calmer. Hip mount your box, make it lighter, and get back in the water.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Highwater is right in his suggestions. If you are not going in the water you should get a screened type sifter. Actually with a long handle you can use it in the water. It isn't necessary to carry it with your arms either. Max of Va makes a holder for your belt an you just hook it up there.

Hip mounting the box takes weight off the arm and takes away water resistance while wading. If the waves bother you to much, stay on the dry sand till the water is calmer. If you still want to do the sand an the Tiger is to heavy, maybe you can use one of the lighter Tesoro's at two pounds.

Good Luck,
Sandman

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I had same the problem . I bought a excal 1000, very heavy detector and I didn't think I could continue hunting ,, I have a bad shoulder . But the guys and gals on treasure net made some great suggestions that solve the weight problem,, I also went to a lighter scoop ,, problem solve . Also in winter months hunt in the dry and wet sand ,and I find a lot cool stuff,, I bought a sov Gt very well balanced detector as far as weight go's , I now hunt 4/5 days a week with no problem , Best of luck to ya ,, Guzz1

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
Hi alexis i chest mount my control box use 2 scoops 1 big for waist deep water 5ft pole anchors
against big waves and small 3.5 ft alum scoop for shallow wading nothing better than the surf at sunrise

P.S DONT FIGHT MOTHER NATURE good luck

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Alex. If you are planning on hunting in Texas, the gulf won't be anything near what you experienced in Hawaii. I have never been to Hawaii but Finderzzs is there now and he is saying that you probably hit the beach at the peak of the high waves there.

The Gulf of Mexico is usually a very easy hunt. There are days there that it is like a lake. The other thing to keep in mind is the tide schedules. If you watch them and hunt the negative tides, you can do really well with your machine especially if you hip or chest mount it. A smaller aluminum scoop would help also.

I got beat up bad two weeks ago in the Tampa area by the surf. It was the first time I had experienced it that bad. Waves were breaking over my head and I was having a really hard time. If it had been my first hunt and I didn't know any better, I would probably be giving it up also. I have taken a couple of good beatings from mother nature. The first and worst was when I started snow skiing and the last was the trip to the Tampa area that I mentioned. They were both brutal. I am 55 with bad knees and arthritis in my hips.

Hope you give it another try. Watch the tides and wave heights posted on the internet in your area and choose a calm day with a low tide and I am sure that you will change your mind. Also try to get with some of the other hunters there in Texas. There are a couple that post here and I am sure that they wouldn't mind showing you the ropes there.

Good Luck on whatever you choose.

Jim

vulcan007

Dec 4, 2007
ahoy mates!

tha tesora machins are goood! ye gotta learn tha machin firstt!

me lika tha excalabir, soveraign gt and explorar. tha problm witha mineleb is thse machins break to easiley becaus theire made of plastic. tha garrette is goood to. whites is gooood to.

dfxmatt

Jul 6, 2006
MICHIGAN
Detector(s) used
whites dfx and whites beachunter i.d. in summer
Pretty sure i can give u 500 for it....pm me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread