New to all of this... whats off limits in the cities?

bullion007

Nov 5, 2007
Minnesota
New to all of this... what's off limits in the cities?

Hi Folks,

I'm brand new to the forum, was just told about it by a friend who is also just getting into MDing. I am also new to the cities.. moved here two years ago. I figure I can spend some time researching over the winter and buy a detector in the Spring and be ready to roll when it gets warm again. I look at the "today's finds" (realizing people dig tons of pull tabs for every coin they find) and I just don't know how I can't get into this. Just to get a signal and dig something up sounds like a lot of fun... and if it's a kid's hotwheel from last summer so what.. it still sounds like fun and then one day maybe you get lucky and find something really interesting.

So, I want to research potential sites but reading a few posts on this Minnesota area of the forum it looks there might be more restrictions in terms of where we can and cannot detect than other places around the country. Are there any general rules of thumb in terms of where MDing is allowed and not allowed in the cities?

Are there particular places you've been especially hassled, or where we just flat out cannot go legally?

I understand the need for permission on private land, that's a given, but how about in St. Paul and Minneapolis city parks? university campuses etc.?

I'm not necessarily looking for the great places to go... just any places. I figure there is VERY LITTLE virgin soil in the cities anyway... but what is legally okay?

Any thoughts?

Dave

cheezinoot

Jun 11, 2006
Emmons,MN
Re: New to all of this... what's off limits in the cities?

hey dave! First of all welcome to the forum. The best treasure site on the web! Although I don't live in the minneapolis area, I do know that city parks are open game. State universitys are what they say,state owned so you would to get permission from the head of the college. Community colleges are open game, thus the title,community. State parks prohibit metal detecting. I hope this helps. HH

Scribe

Feb 18, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Usually checking with the city and county is your best bet. Checking with other hunters...but I would always double check with the city/county/state.
Also there is the Gopher State Treasure Hunters that are a good source for information. They're a metal detector group based out of the cities. They're a great source of info. They have their own on line forum and I think there is a link from this site to theirs under the clubs section.

OP
OP
bullion007

bullion007

Nov 5, 2007
Minnesota

Thanks for the tips guys.

I checked out the Gopher State Treasure Hunter's website. What a great place for information on local MDing. I think I'll attend one of their meetings and get a feel for things. Seems, like a nice group of people and the best place to learn about my new hobby.

Rules and regs regarding where detecting is allowed seems to change from community to community. I just want to stay on the right side of things, you know.

thanks again,

Dave

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A publication I got when I get to the Twin Cities is one of those wire wound detailed maps of the Twin City areas that you can buy in the book or map section at retailers like Walmart or Target. They are fairly pricey in the $20 to $30 range, but it covers the Twin City area and the surrounding counties also. The parks are usually in green and there may be a list of them in the index. Also it will show where schools are at and other public venues that may be a source of detecting. Also shows the lakes and many of them have public beaches.

OP
OP
bullion007

bullion007

Nov 5, 2007
Minnesota

Thanks 'Dude,

Funny you mention that... a buddy of mine here in town bought me three or four maps when I moved up here... to help me learn my way around.

All four turned out to be either too detailed or not detailed enough to make them good driving maps, however, they are proving to be great park and potential MDing site finders.

I've actually been up here for two years, just got detecting into my head about two weeks ago.

So, I've been here for a little while, but I feel new in that I don't know much about the area. I'm originally from Cincinnati, grew up there my whole life and I know all sorts of good places there, know the history of the area, have access and know people who lived there say, 70 years ago, to ask 'hey, what used to be in that empty lot years ago?.. that sort of thing.

I just don't have much of a network or foot hold around here, but I'm getting one slowly but surely.

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread