Ozarks
Ghost town: Manganese
County: Crow Wing
Years active: ?
Remains: Partial sidewalks, foundations, roads
Land type: State land
Longitude: -94.00926
Latitude: 46.53149

Manganese was another small mining town on the Iron Range. It is located between Coles Lake and Flynn Lake. When the town was in its peak it took up a few city blocks in size, some of the blocks can be seen on old maps and on aerial photos.

Directions
1. From Trommald, MN head east on County Road 34 until you get to a fork in the road which is County Road 30, take a left on the fork.
2. As soon as you take a left on the CR-30 fork, keep going on the road for about 1.06 miles.
3. While you approach the 1 mile mark on your odometer, keep your eye out for an old road on the left (west) side of the road that goes in at a northwest angle. Turn left on that road (it's right before a swampy area that's on both sides of County Road 30.)
4. Go down the road just slightly over half a mile (about 0.55 miles) and you should be on what was once one of the main roads in Manganese, MN!
http://www.forgottenmn.com/?region=crow-wing-county&sub=manganese

Attachments

• manganese.jpg
    manganese.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,304
  • manganese2.jpg
    manganese2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 2,481

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Gypsy, thanks for the info. Always thinking about us Minnesotans!! ;D
I've never hunted Manganese, but the link showed Darling,MN which i have hunted. The General store I remember as a kid, then the freeway construction took it down. I did hunt
in the median where it would have partially been, but no good finds. I believe the whole area was bulldozed and fill moved around alot.
Keep the info coming
and thanks! :)
HH

Karinus

Jan 5, 2008
Morrison Co. MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT
I grew up not too far from Magenese, and spent countless hours back in those areas, theres several ghost towns around there. The ground is full of Iron Ore; I have yet to MD any of these sites and dont know if anyone else already. Magensese has also got a ghost cemetary back in the woods. Some of the other sites in this area are so grown up with trees that no road is open.

HuntMN

Dec 10, 2007
MN
Detector(s) used
White's
I was driving around yesterday trying to find Manganese. I didn't plan on it, but I got bored and decided "ah, what the heck?" I took a wrong road and ended up going in a huge circle. I did go through Woodrow and I went by Klondyke, those are two other old towns that no longer exist.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread