New to all this... Looking for advice!

jfjohn77

Dec 21, 2023
I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I'm not looking for Gold, but I need a detector to pick up some Copper wire. I have a Construction Company in South Texas and we are digging in areas that have buried pipelines. Several of these lines are fiberglass and have copper wire (as a tracer) laid with these lines to be able to trace them later and prevent damage when excavation of the area is necessary. Normally, one can use a line-finder to locate them, but only if you know the beginning or termination points of the line. Because in those instances, where the line enters and exits the ground there are terminals to attach your ground enabling the line-finder to operate correctly and detect the copper line. In our situation we do not know where these entry or exit locations are, so we can only use metal detectors to find the steel pipelines, but it is not working for the fiberglass of course. I was thinking that since Copper is a Non-ferrous metal, as is Gold, that a Gold locator would work. Is my thinking correct? The real problem I believe, is in the fact that this Copper wire is around three (3) foot deep and only 10 gauge. It's not very large in diameter, but it is a continuous run. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best Gold detector for my needs? Cost is of no concern as the cost of repair to the damaged lines will more than offset the cost of the detector.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding a piece of wire three feet down is a very tall order for consumer metal detectors. There may be machines that can do it, but none I've heard of. Once you get within a foot or so, then they would have a much better chance.

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I'm not looking for Gold, but I need a detector to pick up some Copper wire. I have a Construction Company in South Texas and we are digging in areas that have buried pipelines. Several of these lines are fiberglass and have copper wire (as a tracer) is laid with these lines to be able to trace them later and prevent damage when excavation of the area is necessary. Normally, one can use a line-finder to locate them, but only if you know the beginning or termination points of the line. Because in those instances, where the line enters and exits the ground there are terminals to attach your ground enabling the line-finder to operate correctly and detect the copper line. In our situation we do not know where these entry or exit locations are, so we can only use metal detectors to find the steel pipelines, but it is not working for the fiberglass of course. I was thinking that since Copper is a Non-ferrous metal, as is Gold, that a Gold locator would work. Is my thinking correct? The real problem I believe, is in the fact that this Copper wire is around three (3) foot deep and only 10 gauge. It's not very large in diameter, but it is a continuous run. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best Gold detector for my needs? Cost is of no concern as the cost of repair to the damaged lines will more than offset the cost of the detector.

"Gold" shouldn't enter into it. Most—if not all—detectors have the ability to detect and differentiate (to some degree) ferrous & non-ferrous metals.

I was going to ask about depth. There's a "rule of thumb" that a detector can detect to a depth equal to the diameter of the coil. This is not a hard & fast rule, but I agree that 3 ft. is pushing it.

That said, what you want is a "Deep Seeking Metal Detector"

One possible unit (there are more--this is just one I've heard of) is XP's new(-ish) Xtrem Hunter, which they claim will reach depths up to 5 meters (16 ft.)

Also, Nokta Invenio Pro claims depths of up to 10-12 meters (33-40 ft.).

Yes, these are pricey units.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I'm not looking for Gold, but I need a detector to pick up some Copper wire. I have a Construction Company in South Texas and we are digging in areas that have buried pipelines. Several of these lines are fiberglass and have copper wire (as a tracer) laid with these lines to be able to trace them later and prevent damage when excavation of the area is necessary. Normally, one can use a line-finder to locate them, but only if you know the beginning or termination points of the line. Because in those instances, where the line enters and exits the ground there are terminals to attach your ground enabling the line-finder to operate correctly and detect the copper line. In our situation we do not know where these entry or exit locations are, so we can only use metal detectors to find the steel pipelines, but it is not working for the fiberglass of course. I was thinking that since Copper is a Non-ferrous metal, as is Gold, that a Gold locator would work. Is my thinking correct? The real problem I believe, is in the fact that this Copper wire is around three (3) foot deep and only 10 gauge. It's not very large in diameter, but it is a continuous run. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best Gold detector for my needs? Cost is of no concern as the cost of repair to the damaged lines will more than offset the cost of the detector.

Why don't you call Texas one-call? (811) Every State has a one-call system that will come and locate copper, fiber and water lines for free, if you don't call you will be financially responsible for damages. Copper and water are not too bad, but damage to fiber can be astronomical. I use to work for a fiber company and I would locate our lines to protect them.

OP
OP
J

jfjohn77

Dec 21, 2023
Yes... That's a given, and has been done. Problem is no one responded for several of the lines we have hit.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes... That's a given, and has been done. Problem is no one responded for several of the lines we have hit.
I would call them again. I use to work for a fiber optic company and located fiber and copper.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A novice dowser with a couple of bent coat hangers for rods can follow any pipe line underground. Try it or have your fellow workers try it because usually at least 1 out of 5 people can easily dowse. The rods stay crossed over the pipe as you walk it, or they will point left or right to guide you over the top of it. Every contractor I've ever known has a dowser.

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A novice dowser with a couple of bent coat hangers for rods can follow any pipe line underground. Try it or have your fellow workers try it because usually at least 1 out of 5 people can easily dowse. The rods stay crossed over the pipe as you walk it, or they will point left or right to guide you over the top of it. Every contractor I've ever known has a dowser.
I thought about mentioning this. In an earlier life I worked as a construction inspector. There was one contractor who could do this--infallibly. Blew me away every time. Despite the guys patience in trying to teach me, I just don't have the... whatever it is. No amount of, "Ya gotta believe" helped. ???

I'm probably just envious. 🙄

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought about mentioning this. In an earlier life I worked as a construction inspector. There was one contractor who could do this--infallibly. Blew me away every time. Despite the guys patience in trying to teach me, I just don't have the... whatever it is. No amount of, "Ya gotta believe" helped. ???

I'm probably just envious. 🙄
Yes, I use to douse utility lines, but it is almost impossible to teach it on line, in person is much easier.

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023

Gradiometer perhaps? GPR?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't know of ANY standard detector that will find a wire at that depth. Pipe/wire trace detector is the only way I know of that is reliable, but, yeah, you have to find one end to clip the power to it. A deep seeker won't find something that small. It's designed for something much bigger.

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know of ANY standard detector that will find a wire at that depth. Pipe/wire trace detector is the only way I know of that is reliable, but, yeah, you have to find one end to clip the power to it. A deep seeker won't find something that small. It's designed for something much bigger.
Thanks for the correction. For some reason, I'd envisioned the copper wire coiled around and cast into the pipe.

Do you think one of the oversized (>30" dia.) coils might do it?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My experience was in the late '70s; there was no online. 😉
I worked Telcom for 44 years, I was locating utilities in the early 90s to early 2001.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the correction. For some reason, I'd envisioned the copper wire coiled around and cast into the pipe.

Do you think one of the oversized (>30" dia.) coils might do it?
No

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing about wire is it's much more difficult to detect in the middle because the eddy currents travel down the length of the wire. You have to be right on top of it (within a couple inches) to get any reading.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a line of professional dedicated detectors for this purpose. The wire "tracer" in the plastic pipeline is usually powered by dedicated transmitter that comes along with the detector to make the pipeline visible (detectable). It is hooked up in a nearest shaft, manhole or whereever the pipeline can be reached.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a line of professional dedicated detectors for this purpose. The wire "tracer" in the plastic pipeline is usually powered by dedicated transmitter that comes along with the detector to make the pipeline visible (detectable). It is hooked up in a nearest shaft, manhole or whereever the pipeline can be reached.
Yup, as long as you can find an end to which you attach the "send" cable. Without charging the wire, the wire/pipe detector isn't even as good as any other detector.

Jan 3, 2024
The best thing you have to do is hire an excavator and throw the gravel in a stable place and pass the detector so you will get the gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread