New to Coin Roll Hunting

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
You should also try your luck with nickels if you are limited on funds. Welcome to the insane asylum.

Golden Silver

OP
OP
L

LookN4pnts

Greenie
Dec 30, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
d2arcing said:
instead of 200 ask for 250 to get a full box?

by 1k you should have 1 or just quit :icon_scratch:

Thanks for the info. So, 250 is a box? I was getting 4 paper rolls of dimes at each bank which has 50 per roll($5 rolls). What is the difference in getting the boxes versus maybe getting 5 paper rolls which would have 250 coins too? Are the chances better for finding silver in a box because you have an extra 50 coins instead of the 4 rolls of 200 coins or is there another reason the box is better? Just asking questions because I don't know and want to learn more. Thanks.

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
LookN4pnts said:
d2arcing said:

Thanks for the info. So, 250 is a box? I was getting 4 paper rolls of dimes at each bank which has 50 per roll($5 rolls). What is the difference in getting the boxes versus maybe getting 5 paper rolls which would have 250 coins too? Are the chances better for finding silver in a box because you have an extra 50 coins instead of the 4 rolls of 200 coins or is there another reason the box is better? Just asking questions because I don't know and want to learn more. Thanks.

oh i didnt read it as 600 dimes, i read it as 600 dollars in dimes. 250 dollars is a box, and averages say you should find like 1 silver dime per box. your wasting gas. just get all at one bank, as volume is the key. so all in one place i think is better, then dump and try all at another to test other waters

capy325

Apr 9, 2008
LookN4pnts said:
Thanks for the info. So, 250 is a box? I was getting 4 paper rolls of dimes at each bank which has 50 per roll($5 rolls).
To quote one of the greatest movies of all time... "What we have here is a failure to communicate". A box is $250 or 50 rolls. For the year I've averaged just under 2 silver / box ($250). Buying 4 or 5 rolls is hit or miss at best but that sums up the hobby in general! Welcome and best of luck!

OP
OP
L

LookN4pnts

Greenie
Dec 30, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
d2arcing said:
LookN4pnts said:
d2arcing said:

oh i didnt read it as 600 dimes, i read it as 600 dollars in dimes. 250 dollars is a box, and averages say you should find like 1 silver dime per box. your wasting gas. just get all at one bank, as volume is the key. so all in one place i think is better, then dump and try all at another to test other waters

Ok, that explains it alot better. Thanks for all the info.

cuttybce

Feb 16, 2010
Western PA
Welcome to the hobby!

When I started out in January, I started out very slow ($20 in dime rolls at once) and slowly worked my way up. 240 silver dimes later, I haven't looked back.

Odds are that you'll find more in boxes, but in reality you just never know. My biggest dime find ever (54 silvers) came out of two rolls. Boxes are pretty reliable but there are definitely skunks out there. But it's the whole unknown factor that makes this such an interesting and rewarding hobby.

Welcome aboard and happy hunting!
cuttybce

OP
OP
L

LookN4pnts

Greenie
Dec 30, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cuttybce said:
Welcome to the hobby!

When I started out in January, I started out very slow ($20 in dime rolls at once) and slowly worked my way up. 240 silver dimes later, I haven't looked back.

Odds are that you'll find more in boxes, but in reality you just never know. My biggest dime find ever (54 silvers) came out of two rolls. Boxes are pretty reliable but there are definitely skunks out there. But it's the whole unknown factor that makes this such an interesting and rewarding hobby.

Welcome aboard and happy hunting!
cuttybce

Thanks cuttybce for the inspiration and pointers.

gtfan76

Jun 24, 2010
thats very very very low. you should usally find about 1 every 100 hundred dollars

good luck. keep at it.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome LookN, posters here love this hobby! I must say that if you are looking for wealth through the discovery of silver dimes, forget it. It's a hobby for most of us, I like searching the dimes, but it costs me more than it's worth. The key is to buy a large volume, say $1,000 in dimes, in one shot. That way, you might average 5-10 silver dimes and break even in gasoline costs to pick up and then dump the clad. If you search customer rolls, you might even luck out as some have, and score a partial or full roll of silver. Ask for halves while picking up dimes, there's always the chance to pick up a silver half or two or better, increasing your profit.
The main reason I search dimes is to find the oldies, and I've found several 100 year old Barber dimes, lots of mercury dimes, lots of Canadian silver, and the odd foreign coin.
Good luck! ffd

gotgot

Dec 29, 2008
on average I would say one silver roosevelt every 2 boxes ($500 face, 5,000 dimes) and a Merc every 6 or 7 boxes. My yields tend to be much lower than the average here and are skewed by my first 14 boxes all being busts before I found my first one.
So your results may be better but even at this, but dont waste time worrying when you could be doing - just order 4 boxes from your bank and turn 'em around quick!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions