Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

woody_g

Mar 5, 2006
SPRINGTOWN TX
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 1000
looks like your 500 is working if you already found 2 rings and a indian head penny.i am sure there are lots of people out there that have yet to find one

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi there newbie! Welcome to the addictive world of metal detecting!
Any metal detector finds metal, and altho I don't know anything about
your machine, but one thing I must encourage you to do, use-the-heck-outta-it!
Learn all about it, what it can and can't do...!
Learn all you can from Internet, there's helpful stuff, you just have to find it,
but you are in a helpful place, here on TreasureNet!
Good luck, and Happy Hunting!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bcbill Greetings and Welcome to Tnet. On the Tnet home page is a section labeled "Brands". If you go there and look up your brand you will likely find folks there that will be able to give you more info on your particular brand & model detector.

Any of us detector owners started out right where your are now, beginners. Some of us were just driven by curiosity, "what could I actually find", and once we started we were hooked. You are now hooked! An IH penny is a good find! I found my first, and only, IH when I was a little boy, I was planting a seed in my grandmothers backyard and out popped this IH penny. Of course I used it to purchase candy, could have been some expensive candy. Of course back then who would have guessed that common coins would become more valuable than the amount stamped on them.

Try the brands search and see what comes from that. Maybe build yourself a detecting garden by planting and keeping track of what is planted where, different coins and common metal targets. This is a very handy method of easily learning your machine by trying different settings over the same targets till you learn sounds and settings that indicate good targets and possibly even what is in the ground before you dig it. I did this with my first White's machine and it turned the machine and myself into an unbeatable pair!

Have fun and thank you for sharing and when you can post pictures of your finds..........................63bkpkr

185_8515.JPG In 2010 I found this ~ 1/4 oz. of gold in the California gold country mountains

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
Noticed this is you very first post bcbill. So, welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA).

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:thumbsup:Welcome to the hobby! I own a GTAx500 as well. I only started this past March, so am still very new, but I am happy with the detector so far. Of course, it is all I know, so I suppose I am not the best to offer any tips. I have posted some pics of finds in an album on my profile and a running tally of coins there also, so you can see it will find a variety of things. When I first started, I was eager to find coins, but I must say relics are just as great now. I hope your detector is as good to you as mine has been to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread