New to detecting - just got my first detector ACE 250

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have been wanting to get into detecting for a while. Looked around and never pulled the trigger on a detector. Found an ad on another website that a guy was selling a ACE 250 that had been used one time. Also came with an automax pinpointer. He was local so I met him today and bought it. So now here I sit the proud new owner of a like new ACE. I don't really even know where to begin. Am really excited to give this thing a shot. Any advice for a newbie? :help:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best thing you can do to start is read all you can about the hobby and watching YouTube video's about retrieving coins from the ground. Learn how to pinpoint coins on the ground before you attempt it in any grass. Just go out and have fun and try not to make a mess of the grass. Make it look like you weren't there and remember to save your trash for dispossable later. I use a screw driver to probe for the coins that are shallow and pop them out with out cutting a plug.

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
sent you a "PM" on coin popping. the ACE you have is fun right out of the box but....the ACE you will have after you've learned it (100 hours spent on it) will be much more better. as it's been said, "dig everything at first" so you'll get an idea of how to interpret what's it's telling you. headphones will help (i use Garretts for around $26) as you can tone down the "bong" sound and keep kids from noticing and bugging you. i use one of those cheapo nail pouches ($1.95) from Lowes....trash on side, clad on the other, rings and valuables in a pants pocket never to be shown to anybody..."hey, did you find my ring?" don't know how old you are but my knees bother me when i'm on them too long so i use one of those blue gardening pads to kneel on. adjust the length of the detecting shaft so that you're arm is pretty straight and the coil is just in front of your feet and on the ground...if you're in any way LIFTING the coil your arm will wear out pretty fast. i don't go by what the instruction booklet says about keeping the coil 1" off the ground...i use a coil cover and keep my coil ON THE GROUND. to me, 1" off the ground is 1" of depth LOST! learn how to build a test garden. if you don't have the area available where you live, go to a local park and build one there to leave it there. you can use any of the modes and make adjustments by "notching" something out but when you turn your detector off, the settings go back to DEFAULT. only the "Custom" mode saves the settings. When i'm just starting out my day and i have the energy i generally use the "Jewelry" mode and dig everything but when i'm getting worn out i use the "custom" mode where i have it set to "CHERRY PICK" meaning i'm only detecting for hunting for the top right 4 blocks (dime-quarter-50 cents-silver dollar). sometimes in the cherry pick mode i'll include the nickel. right now i buy ray-o-vac batteries from walmart as they're cheapest there. a fair hand spade is the "ames 7 in 1 from lowes. there are better ones but that one will get you started. if you're hitting a ton of targets and are getting multiple signals (like your detectors goes crazy) then you'll need to consider the Garrett sniper coil. oops....go a little windy here....hope this helps. you're in the right place to ask questions.

OP
OP
AGCoinHunter

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sandtrout said:
sent you a "PM" on coin popping. the ACE you have is fun right out of the box but....the ACE you will have after you've learned it (100 hours spent on it) will be much more better. as it's been said, "dig everything at first" so you'll get an idea of how to interpret what's it's telling you. headphones will help (i use Garretts for around $26) as you can tone down the "bong" sound and keep kids from noticing and bugging you. i use one of those cheapo nail pouches ($1.95) from Lowes....trash on side, clad on the other, rings and valuables in a pants pocket never to be shown to anybody..."hey, did you find my ring?" don't know how old you are but my knees bother me when i'm on them too long so i use one of those blue gardening pads to kneel on. adjust the length of the detecting shaft so that you're arm is pretty straight and the coil is just in front of your feet and on the ground...if you're in any way LIFTING the coil your arm will wear out pretty fast. i don't go by what the instruction booklet says about keeping the coil 1" off the ground...i use a coil cover and keep my coil ON THE GROUND. to me, 1" off the ground is 1" of depth LOST! learn how to build a test garden. if you don't have the area available where you live, go to a local park and build one there to leave it there. you can use any of the modes and make adjustments by "notching" something out but when you turn your detector off, the settings go back to DEFAULT. only the "Custom" mode saves the settings. When i'm just starting out my day and i have the energy i generally use the "Jewelry" mode and dig everything but when i'm getting worn out i use the "custom" mode where i have it set to "CHERRY PICK" meaning i'm only detecting for hunting for the top right 4 blocks (dime-quarter-50 cents-silver dollar). sometimes in the cherry pick mode i'll include the nickel. right now i buy ray-o-vac batteries from walmart as they're cheapest there. a fair hand spade is the "ames 7 in 1 from lowes. there are better ones but that one will get you started. if you're hitting a ton of targets and are getting multiple signals (like your detectors goes crazy) then you'll need to consider the Garrett sniper coil. oops....go a little windy here....hope this helps. you're in the right place to ask questions.

Thanks so much for the information sandtrout and sandman. I have heard great things about this little machine. I cant wait to get out and use it now that the weather has cooled down some. Great idea on the test garden. I think I will do a few tests on different coins buried in my garden (even some silver ones) and try to get the feel for how this machine behaves. Keep the info coming if anyone has some pointers not covered by the others. Again, thanks for the info.

AG

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi AGCoinhunter,
I also have an ACE 250. I have found lots of coins plus one 14-K ring. So yes, she can find gold, too.It is a nice little machine and I have had a blast with it. I generally only hit the tot-lots as my time is very limited due to the job.

Hope you enjoy! It is easy to use once you figure out the pinpointing. There are some videos on You-Tube I watched for the set up.

HSH,
apush :read2:

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to youtube like said above! Practice,Practice & more Practice & you will love that machine....I love mine & its great for the price!

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
The Little Yeller Feller is a fun machine to use!
Take it down so it stows easily in your vehicle and you will be amazed at all the great places you stumble upon where you can use it for a few minutes or even more!
Headphones are a big help.
Good luck!
rmptr

metalman709

Jan 5, 2011
georgia
Detector(s) used
tesoro cibola
hey there....i am also what you would consider a newbie....this hobby grabbed me on jan. the 1st of this year....the best piece of advice that has actually helped me that i got from this forum and the guru's on it is this.....the slower the swing the more you find!!!! it's not a golf club.... slower is actually better.... my totals for the year are awesome to me...almost 600 in clad,4 gold rings,3 silver rings, a silver bracelet and a silver earring....i am so hooked!!!! i don't use the 250 but my hunting buddy does and he loves it but i usually out hunt him only because of the secret i just told you....slower will get you more finds....good luck and remember, if it beeps, dig it....

FatCat

Aug 28, 2009
HUNTSVILLE Alabama
Detector(s) used
ACE250 w. 10x14'' DD and Lots of research
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there, I have been using the ace for 2 years and I have done very well with it. I am in N. Alabama and have found loads of relics and coins, especially after I got the larger coil. You got a good machine and if you keep at it and do the leg work you will find some great relics and coins as well.

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sandtrout said it all.... time, time, time and a little research will produce nice treasure!! :icon_pirat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread