re-design

fbjr

Apr 13, 2007
Elmira, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030/Minelab e-trac/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just curious if Garrett is going to redesign/update the GTI 2500 any time soon or if they will come out with something to replace it ? The GTI is a great detector and I love the Garrett brand but it seems as if the 2500 has been out for a very long time without any major changes other then coils/color (green-white, green-black). I know some of you are thinking if it's not broken, don't fix it but I would love to see something new soon and I'm not talking about AT pro or AT pro gold. Mr. Charles Garrett, it's time for Garrett detectors to come out with something amazing again and reclaim the detector market.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have gotten spoiled by new electronics like the iphones, iPads and all the other doohickeys that we don't need so we think our metal detectors need to be updated too. There is only so many innovations they can make due to regulations as to frequencies. Maybe a beer spigot or lifetime warranties like Tesoro's.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Might have been around for a long time, but its the only brand with Imaging (sizing) a target and Garrett holds the Patent. And once learned properly, it is a great feature to have. :) On the other note, I would be surprised if Garrett is not upgrading a detector with imaging. :icon_sunny:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The biggest advantage I can see to modern technology really isn't improving discrimination and depth more than they already have. I believe it is going to be in the form of allowing Garrett and others to make their detectors smaller and more light weight.

OP
OP
F

fbjr

Apr 13, 2007
Elmira, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030/Minelab e-trac/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with trying to make them lighter and also maybe have them run on less batteries. Also, I'm not knocking Garrett by any means. They make a great quality product! Just over the past few years we have seen them come out with the ace series (150 & 250), then shortly after that the ace 350 and now the AT Pro and AT Pro Gold.....just think it's about time the GTI line up has it's turn. The size imaging feature is something special for sure, that's why I purchased the GTI 2500 for my father for Christmas 2 years ago. That's his favorite feature and is completely understandable.

mydejavooo

Oct 26, 2011
Hansen, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Whites Spectrum XLT e-series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am all for making things better, but I have to agree with the poster that mentioned "being spoiled" with the newest, latest and greatest. What's wrong with sticking with stuff that works? I guess it's just more of a marketing game than it is anything else. Now having said that, I DID buy a Whites Prizm 5G to get back into the detecting world after a hiatus, and it was meant to replace the late 90's Whites 6000DI Pro SL that I used to have......and I'm honestly a little torn. The detector overall is about 1/10th the weight (literally) of the old machine, and I'm having a bit of a hard time equating "light weight" with "high quality". It's like they can make a light-bulb that would last forever, but the light bulb guys would be out of work!! It just seems like everything that I've bought lately that is light weight, is usually junk! With that 5 pound Whites on my aching arm, I KNEW it was built to last! :laughing7:

But the one thing I have to say......is that the new machine has proven it can find the good stuff, every bit as well as the older DI did. LCD readout is easy to see, and target ID is a nice feature that was missing on the older model. Even my wife, who shies away from tech stuff, likes the new detector, and has mentioned that she might want one (but in PINK! :tongue3:). And I guess if I get nostalgic for the older Whites, I'll just strap a brick to the bottom of it and go for broke! LOL!!

DeJa

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget Whites have sizing in the QXT models that doesn't rely on having a special coil. Come to that several detectors displays give an idea if a target is coin/ring size or not.

I wonder if there's some strange thing in the back of detector manufacturers minds that says we can justify a higher price if a detector is made heavier than the norm ie CZ's, Explorer's, GTI 2500. I was talking to a dealer a few weeks back who was saying what a great seller the bungy cord/"swingy thing" remained. He thought that there would be no need within a few years as detectors got lighter and better balanced but the more expensive detectors with the odd exception like the Fisher F75 and T2 seem to remain in the past.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread