Miroku

Mar 24, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello fellow Treasure seekers!

I am new to everything that is treasure finding. I see someone else made a post and someone said read the guides and such. I have read a couple but I am stuck at work for the next 10 hours and I figured making a post with questions would be easier than trying to find everything.

I work as a cashier at a toll road gas station. I see lots of people and see lots of change. Now originally I only looked for dimes and quarters 1964 or older. I also took out wheat pennies but that was it. I always have change to swap it with in my car. I also do the ordering for the store. That is about 2 boxes of quarters a week, 1 dimes, 1 nickel, and 2 pennies. I have been reading and there are apparently tons of coins I need to be looking for. I have no idea what nickels to look for or anything besides what I am already pulling. So my fellow hunters, and please only post if you have some helpful hints. Don't say search for yourself because that is not constructive and not helpful. I am asking from someone who really has no knowledge of any kind of coin hunting. I was told to just check the outside of the clear plastic of the rolls. If it is silver + copper then it's not what I want. I was also told that I should really only buy customer rolled coins from banks.

So fellow hunters, what should I be looking for in rolls of halves, quarters, dimes, nickels, pennies. What years or is there something special I should look at?
Should I buy from my banks on my free time?

Thanks for reading. I feel like I am letting coins go daily I should know about :)

Upvote 0

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
To be able to better answer your questions, what is your goal to collecting coins? Only silver, one of each year and mint, specially minted ones, only highly valuable ones, etc.?

We would rewrite the beginners guide here so to speak, but before you start you have to decide what you are looking for in this hobby. I'll be glad to answer questions for you but need more info first.

OP
OP
Miroku

Miroku

Mar 24, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Sure, thanks for helping :)
My initial goal was for profit but now it's really to build a collection. Duplicates are fine. If I got enough of one I could always barter for something else. So basically whatever is worth taking is what I am aiming at. Collections and value. To me every wheat penny is an awesome find but I have gotten things like an Indian head penny and I silver half dollar. I can play with quite a bit of coins but I stare at them, not sure if I should check for anything.

OP
OP
Miroku

Miroku

Mar 24, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I have also been thinking about buying a metal detector, not sure if the price of one is worth it. People I talk to say I will never really find anything :(

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Miroku, I would recommend that you focus on silver and old coins first. You need to educate yourself about what silver coins are out there. You know 64 and earlier are silver and 65-70 halves are 40% silver. Those are the easy ones. Did you know there are modern silver proof coins? They have the white edge like a 64 and aren't very common, but you might run across them. Next, keep an eye out for war nickels 1942 - 1945 with mint mark over Monticello and they tend to have a greenish tint to them. Also, learn how to tell silver Canadian. They are a little tricky with the dates but an easy way is use a magnet. If it sticks to magnet=not silver. And lastly keep old coins like buffaloes and liberty V nicks. If you start with this you are well on your way. As for special error coins to look for, there is too much to list, and too much for you to remember. What you will find is that over time, with increasing interest in the hobby, you will want to do the research, and learn which coins to look out for. If your interest doesn't drive you to do the research, that's ok to. Just stick with silver hunting. Good luck.

OP
OP
Miroku

Miroku

Mar 24, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay thanks! Is it true that if you are looking at a roll from a box like the ones Garda does, that you can pretty much see if there is a silver quarter or dime by looking at the edges?

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read a couple but I am stuck at work for the next 10 hours and I figured making a post with questions would be easier than trying to find everything.

So my fellow hunters, and please only post if you have some helpful hints. Don't say search for yourself because that is not constructive and not helpful. I am asking from someone who really has no knowledge of any kind of coin hunting.

So fellow hunters, what should I be looking for in rolls of halves, quarters, dimes, nickels, pennies. What years or is there something special I should look at?
Should I buy from my banks on my free time?

So you have free time, understand the type of info that is out there, but ask for help about what to collect of EVERY coin that might be in circulation? And if we don't tell you, it is not constructive and helpful?

Can you narrow this down into something more manageable? There are dozens of ways to collect, and if you're working at a business, you may not have time to whip out your loupe every time a 1995 cent rolls in.

For example, are you trying to collect all years, are you interested copper, foreign coins, silver only, key dates, errors, etc.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay thanks! Is it true that if you are looking at a roll from a box like the ones Garda does, that you can pretty much see if there is a silver quarter or dime by looking at the edges?

Yes edge check them and then look at date to confirm your find. Most hunters don't date check dimes and quarters. Canadian can throw you off but they can be silver also.

OP
OP
Miroku

Miroku

Mar 24, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry Accord, I do have free time and have looked for myself and found a whole new world full of coins I do not understand. Lots of things to learn. I meant for this to be I have 10 hours of work ahead of me, in my drawers is there anything particular I should look for. I do not wish to know every coin and am really not looking for errors. Silver and old coins mostly. For example, a 1967 nickel I found looks old and neat, but is worthless. I just wanted the most common found silver or valuable coins that would come by my drawer. I am new to this and am sorry if my post made it sound like I wanted people to do all the work, I just figured from people who would know tons more than I that someone could give me advice. I know about 1964 dimes and quarters; half dollars 1970 and older really; buffalo nickels; wheat pennies. That is the extent of my knowledge of this morning. I typed in rare coins/old coins/coins to collect, etc and I was like wow! There is a lot to learn. Sorry again if it seemed like I was rude, I honestly didn't mean it.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Accord, I do have free time and have looked for myself and found a whole new world full of coins I do not understand. Lots of things to learn. I meant for this to be I have 10 hours of work ahead of me, in my drawers is there anything particular I should look for. I do not wish to know every coin and am really not looking for errors. Silver and old coins mostly. For example, a 1967 nickel I found looks old and neat, but is worthless. I just wanted the most common found silver or valuable coins that would come by my drawer. I am new to this and am sorry if my post made it sound like I wanted people to do all the work, I just figured from people who would know tons more than I that someone could give me advice. I know about 1964 dimes and quarters; half dollars 1970 and older really; buffalo nickels; wheat pennies. That is the extent of my knowledge of this morning. I typed in rare coins/old coins/coins to collect, etc and I was like wow! There is a lot to learn. Sorry again if it seemed like I was rude, I honestly didn't mean it.

the point I'm getting at is there's a broad scope and it depends on your interests, bankro'll, and time commitment.

I'd save pre 60 nickels but in particular 38 39 40 42-45, 50, and 55.

There are hundreds of errors and varieties with cents, but you would want to buy at least a 16x magnifier and spend a few seconds with each error or variety year which might be more than you want to do.

You could collect copper cents but that might take up too much space and money.

Do you want to start a book and collect a bunch of dates, or look for quick profit and turnover?

I'd save pre 68 Canadian dimes quarters, pre 80 nickels for metal value, and all cents and either collect or auction off.

Basically, if you're working, how much time can you or are willing to spend on this?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I have also been thinking about buying a metal detector, not sure if the price of one is worth it. People I talk to say I will never really find anything :(
Hi Miroku, welcome! Metal detecting - call it dirtfishing - or "waving a majic wand" - I say jump right in, you don't have to spend a fortune...I have well over three grand wrapped up in detectors and equipment, it's like asking a golfer - "is it worth it?" All depends on what you are after...peace of mind comes to mind...relaxation after a busy work day...profit?...sometimes...I know people who have dug hundreds of silvers and old coins (myself and others), has my detector paid for itself? I really don't care if it ever does, my new car didn't pay for itself either, but I sure love driving it! Good luck, and good hunting.

Pipster

Mar 8, 2007
denver
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, vision v3i,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you are on the right track already pull anything that is silver you know the dates already wheats any old coins or unusual foreign coins "what are you out .25 cents?" if it turns out to be a crapper? their is simply no way you can recall every semi key date or key date coin out there i have to look up coins constantly. heck if you have time to look it up on your phone do it then you are not out anything.

as for metal detecting if you are out to coin shoot for older coins you will prob never pay it off but it is alot of fun!!! if you invest a bit of time and patience and hit tot-lots you will find gold which will pay back your investment of your machine and then some. can you turn it into a full paying job prob not
find someone local thru TN and see if they will give you some help
best of luck
PIP

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

If you think it is worth it, then go ahead. I play soccer. I can buy cleats that are super light and cost several hundred. Is it likely that the cleats will make me be scouted by Barcelona, Manchester United, or Milan? No. However, if I have the personal satisfaction of being able to run faster and score more goals, then that is enough for me. You could pay off your detector with your first coin you find. Is it likely? No. However, if you do the research and find some old sites, you may pay off your detector. The personal satisfaction is what counts. If I'm satisfied with just being out there and having the potential to find treasure, then I would get one.

The same thing applies to coins. If I want to collect all 1964 nickels, I can do that. No one can say what I should or should not collect. It is your collection and your money. We can give suggestions on what is valuable and what has the potential to increase in value, but it is ultimately your decision on what you will collect.

OP
OP
Miroku

Miroku

Mar 24, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I just wanted to say thank you to every one who replied. It was very helpful! As a matter of fact later that night I opened a new roll of quarters and before I opened it I looked and saw a really shiny coin and was hoping it was silver. Sure enough a 1938 quarter. I was king of the world for a few minutes in my head. I love the feeling of finding silver. I don't have a whole lot of money which is why I like being about to play with my work's money. I will see what kind of metal detector I can afford because there are some old places I would like to go search. Thank you again to everyone!

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wanted to say thank you to every one who replied. It was very helpful! As a matter of fact later that night I opened a new roll of quarters and before I opened it I looked and saw a really shiny coin and was hoping it was silver. Sure enough a 1938 quarter. I was king of the world for a few minutes in my head. I love the feeling of finding silver. I don't have a whole lot of money which is why I like being about to play with my work's money. I will see what kind of metal detector I can afford because there are some old places I would like to go search. Thank you again to everyone!

Check if a local hobby shop or construction/building company rents metal detectors. For example, the local metal detecting store offers rentals. I'd recommend maybe renting one for a week, trying those spots, and seeing if you like the hobby, if your finds equal the enjoyment and phase out the work and time you put in, etc. If you buy a detector for $250 and find nothing but old beer cans, you probably won't enjoy it. If you find interesting stuff, you may want to invest in a good detector, more equipment, etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread