New to Hobby/Need help from Bucks County, Pennsyvania

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,
Happy to have found this website. I am from Bucks County, PA. My question is,
does anyone know of my area? I live next to Pennypack Creek. I have no idea
if Indians were ever there or not, but it is a big, beautiful creek. Would this be a
place for me to start? I do not want to start in a field just yet. I am interested to
know if anyone would search any creek? Or would I just be wasting my time? I
also am confused by when people say to search for flint and other identifiable
stuff. I am unsure of how to locate that. But my main, main, main question is
what I had asked above; Is a creek always a place to discover arrowheads? I
only know that the Lenope Indians (not sure if I spelled that right) were in my
area, however people who know the creek very well told me that there were most
likely never Indian Reservations set up there. It was more for a walk way to get
from one area to another. If I go check it out, it would be best to find a creekbed
with stones all in it, right? Also, I should go after a good rainstorm? Wouldn't that
make it harder to find since the creek will rise? Another point I would have to say, is
that Pennypack Creek is subject to flooding almost every single time it rains...Is this
a bad thing and most likely will not produce anything since that happens? Or is it
the exact opposite? Sorry for all of the questions...It's just frustrating when you are
really in to a hobby but cant seem to figure out how to find anything. Basically, if I
were to go right now, I would just go over to the creek, search an area with rocks and
pebbles, and keep my fingers crossed? I have gone to this creek twice for a couple of
hours and did not find anything, but I did bring home this stone from the picture... I
know it most likely is nothing, but it is odd how it has those grooves on the side. Is
this anything?
Thanks,
Brett

Attachments

• _Media Card_BlackBerry_pictures_IMG00495.jpg
    _Media Card_BlackBerry_pictures_IMG00495.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 957
Upvote 0

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you want to find arrowheads youll have to love to hike,and hike and hike.points could have been washed out years ago,or yesturday.your rock does not looked worked,although i have seen many rocks they could of used that have not been worked.look close at the arrowheads on this site youll see how they are chipped all over,flint is shinny sometimes,well most of the time and you will be able to see it very well.i doubt the area your in was the same when they were there,could be a river somewere that is now dry,they could be anywere even in your backyard,look at very old homesites in your area it was a good place to live then,so it was good maybe thousands of years.go to the library research is key in almost everything you do unless you get lucky and find it at your feet.i would try to find what river the creek is comming off from and start there. jamey

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Welcome, I found this info online from the Lower Makefield Historic Landmarks Guide

"Early settlers utilized abandoned Indian fields, and Indian trails became their roads. The remnant Delawares(Lenni Lenape Indians) quickly vacated the area and disappeared from public records by the turn of the 18th century. Their centuries of occupation left few artifacts, but arrowheads, spear tips, scrapers, stone axes, and pierced net weights may be found along Lower Makefield's streams and riverbanks".

I'd say you have as good a place to look as some of us, maybe not as many of the "modern" stone points(mid 1600's through the 1800's), but sounds like stuff is found near you. Look up some local museums and check out the Native artifacts they have.

Good luck!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My father hailed from Penn and brought with him his genetic Iroquoi roots fench and Indian,lol. Lots of trade and wars over beavers. I say the creek is a good place to start. Look for bends with a little high ground from flooding and possible wind and weather breaks.Look at the flint you are seeing on here the flakes.Once you find them it will slowly start to fall in place.
In the beginning you think everything is something.That is ok study it all and bring it home.Soon you will be bringing less things home but better finds.Happy hunting to you sir and good luck its a wonderful hobby and you have found a good site.

HH
TnMountains

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Hi again, doing some more checking, and found the Mercer museum in Doylestown that has a collection of local native artifacts.

Also, I did a search with the heading "lithics bucks county pa", and found a site with the heading "RESEARCH of Donald R. Repsher, of Bath, Pennsylvania, friend and brother of the Lenape."

That site is a great read of many native sites in your area. I really liked it and wish I lived there to do some looking myself. :)

Good luck! Hope this info helps!

artorius

Jul 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
I have seen some wonderful artifacts from Bucks County, including many nice Berks/Lehigh jasper pieces. You should be able to find some nice sites that have not yet been destroyed by development.

I prefer walking farm fields - always being sure to obtain permission in advance. Now is the time of year to do it, as farmers tend to be reticent about permission once the crops start to grow.

A good way to find sites is to obtain a detailed atlas (the Franklin Atlas of Bucks County would be great for this purpose), and then look at the maps for roads near streams in more rural areas. Then go drive the area, and inquire from the landowners whether their farms produce artifacts, and if so, whether you could have permission to search for them.

I live in Delaware County, PA, and do not know of any collecting sites in the County. I used to collect the Church Farm School site on Swedesford Road in West Whiteland Township, Chester County, but that site since has been obliterated completely by a housing development. That was a great site that had everything from Paleo to Late Woodland pieces, so I was sad to see it go.

My only reliable collecting field now is way upstate, near where my parents have retired. Unfortunately, my schedule has been too busy of late to prospect for more collecting sites.

Be warned - even on a prolific field, it takes time and patience to find nice artifacts. I regard a single, complete, well-preserved point from a Pennsylvania field as ample reward for several hours of diligent searching.

artorius

artorius

Jul 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
Cold Calling Works

Took a day off from work Friday and with an atlas in hand, went "cold calling" at farms with promissing fields along a respectable-sized creek in SE Pennsylvania. Asked at two farms, was allowed on both times, and was assured by both farmers that I was welcome to return. Both farms yielded broken points, so one of these days they should yield something complete. On one field, I also picked up a badly corroded, but recognizable colonial half-cent of George II.

Will try to post pics in the next couple of days.

artorius

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
Lots of good information here for sure.

I do all of my artifact hunting in creeks and I will check any creek any time. One real key for me is to start my walking as far DOWNSTREAM as the boundaries of the property allow me to go and work upstream....keeps the mud and dirt I disturb from clouding the water. I find about as my points laying right in the water as I do on the gravel bars. I don't know how big the creek you are searching is at normal (non-flood) level but the flooding is a good thing because it rearranges the rocks in the creek uncovering new stuff to look at with each flood....and possibly covering up artifacts that you might have missed on your previous trip...ya just can't get em all. Another good tip is to get yourself a sturdy walking stick with a nice point on the end. The stick will save your back because you can use it to turn interesting rocks over for a better look and you back will not hurt as bad from all the crouch walking and bending over without the stick. I walk very slowly and look for any rock that doesn't match every other rock in the creek....if most of the creek gravel is brown chert or limestone or shale the flint pieces will stand out as white, or gray, or pink. I also look for sharp edges and shapes...basically anything that doesn't look like every other rock in the creek. The streams I am searching are anywhere from 2 foot to 20 foot wide and are a mix of rock, sand, mud, and water. It takes me 3 to 4 hours to cover maybe half a mile of creek bed really looking hard at the gravel. Also be sure to look at the banks where they have been cut away by erosion. This erosion is what put the rocks in the creek....same goes for arrowheads and you might find one sticking out of the mud just waiting for you to grab it.

driley

Tenderfoot
Jun 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone in lower bucks county Pennsylvania does anyone now of any good creeks to look for tips I free up in chemung new York and found shoe boxes full over the years but after my grandfather passed my jack @$$ uncle pawned them I would like to get my son into hunting for arrow heads and other artifacts I would appreciate it or if anyone wants to do sum tip hunting IM up for it

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of good info on here for you so far. I will just add this.

Take a drive out thru the country and stop at a few farms and ask if they have ever found artifacts on their farm. Then try to get permission to hunt them. Focus on the high ridges in any field you hunt. Also look for high ridges close to a good size creek or river and especially where two come together. Look for flint, pottery, shell, bone, etc and then concentrate on those areas but also look over the other areas of the field. If you are finding flint, quartz, rhyolite,etc flakes in a field in PA then you will more then likely find artifacts. Don't get discouraged either since it may take you a while to find actual artifacts since most newbies will pick up things they think are artifacts but aren't. Just be patient and you will eventually be able to spot good fields to hunt and also be able to find artifacts.

Good luck and happy hunting!!

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to both newbies! (and (Driley)try to remember not to 'hijack' someone else's post with things/questions that should have their very own post- that way everyone gets the attention they disserve:)) Looks like you might have vanished... and with so many questions... First- I don't think you meant 'Indian Reservation' but rather 'settlement'? No? And as far as creek hunting goes... versus field hunting... I search waterways exclusively. I have never had luck in fields. That may be just because I can 'see' things better when washed. I dunno. Nevertheless, everyone here is absolutely right. Native Americans (or whatever one should call them these days), were everywhere. With patience (and I do mean Patience), you'll find things. In waterways, tidal or otherwise, consider at least 2 things. One, points/blades are like little surf-boards. in a wash-out, they'll wash up to the highest spot. Sometimes they land there. Sometimes they'll 'float' back a bit and get snagged on something bigger. Sometimes you just see a little divoted edge, sometimes the whole thing (or broken thing) is just lying there like it was placed there for you to find. Sometimes it's just under the surface of the sand. You may never find it/. You may find it next time. Who knows?... Two, in a strong current- like a constantly flowing stream, creek, river- or a stream in flood, you'll tend to find the majority of stuff on the downstream side of big impediments- big rocks or boulders. Usually there's a little pooling there where things get stuck and remain until something like a BIG flood (or springtime melt) moves that big rock. Then things are all on the move again. Consider rain, flooding, spring melts- all opportunities. With every rush of water, new chances for finding things comes. Be patient. And once your eye gets 'trained' on what its looking for, it'll get easier and easier. A rock edge that has been worked by a human will have a wavy look to it- as if struck on one side, then the other. So if you look down the edge of the piece, you'll see a pretty distinct zig-zag. In your area there was lots of good rock to knap- and not all the quartz I get in my area, so you should be able to pick out 'the thing that doesn't fit in with its neighbors' pretty easily. And yes, you'll take home a lot of stuff that later will become part of your landscaping scheme around the flower bed... Happy Hunting!
Yak

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, I couldnt find my password for the longest time, and then I forgot all about this post! I am back! haha, and thank you so much for taking your time in giving me advice. I did try the creek, but came home with nothing :( I really want to find one, but its frustrating to wonder if I am walking a creek for 5 hours for nothing, simply because I am in the wrong spot and there is no way for one to be where I am. I want to try it again, though.

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brettco look into the history of your area find areas close by that were known to have a large indian presence.Also find areas where there have been previous archeological sites they dont find everything in the area.Waterways are the keys in most states.Learn to look for places that would make good living spots.Flat rises above stream flood zones.Take under consideration the direction of the sun hitting these spots.Here in maine its all about the water.I have never found an artifact in maine that wasnt next to water.Not much farming going on in my area.Where streams empty into lakes or other streams.The biggest factors in this whole artifact finding equation is either mother nature uncovering these treasures or man.Either way you have to be there to take advantage of whatever opportunities arise.Now get you a pokin stick and have at it.Good luck and enjoy your hobby....mjm

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow, I couldnt find my password for the longest time, and then I forgot all about this post! I am back! haha, and thank you so much for taking your time in giving me advice. I did try the creek, but came home with nothing :( I really want to find one, but its frustrating to wonder if I am walking a creek for 5 hours for nothing, simply because I am in the wrong spot and there is no way for one to be where I am. I want to try it again, though.

Pay close attention to our members who have suggested inquiring at farms that border fresh water and have plowed fields. Although fields in the East can be picked over for generations, I do believe cultivated fields after heavy rains is where you want to look and not just stream beds. Their campsites weren't located in streams but on higher terraces above waterways. We did switch mostly to shoreline sites on salt water estuaries in RI because our fields are walked to exhaustion in most cases, but in fields are the camps and Pennsylvania is great farm country. You really can't go wrong if you scout around and wait for all this snow to melt bye-bye....

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know how you feel...believe me, you need to look at it as getting out of the house/hiking/exercise and if you find something it's just a bonus to an already great day. Sort of like bird hunting or fishing...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread