new to md

lakillian

Dec 29, 2006
Winfield, WV
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Prism V, Ace 250
I know this sounds lame but try your neighborhood parks and schools even churches but ask the "pastor" first. Good luck I am new too but I hate when no one answers a new person so I decided to answer :)

Good luck!

Lori

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photomo1,

Sorry, I did not see your post or I would have answered sooner as well. lakillian is right, you can start by hitting the local city and county parks. I don't know what kind of detecting you want to do, but you also have a short drive to the beaches.

I was at Daytona this weekend myself, didn't find much. just some clad, but I figure if I don't look then I am guaranteed not to find anything. I did find some cuts in the water, just wasn't anything good in them this time.

Good luck, if your down Orlando way let me know.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
When you find a place try to think outside the box. This week a friend and I found a strip about 40 feet x 200 feet between several soccer fields that had been missed by hunters that had hammered the rest of the complex. Between us we pulled out over $30.00 in quarters (sorry-clad) in just a few hours. The digging was insane! Now we will go back and dig the dimes and the rest. Unfortunately there are not many "old" places to hunt around here that are not paved over so we just do our best to rid the ground of the nasty clad

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No need to have to travel for treasure. Take a hunt on any grass you get near and enjoy just finding stuff. This isn't a hobby that makes anyone rich unless they find a sunken Spanish ship.

If you don't have a detector yet, start visiting the major manufactures web sites to learn which type would suit your needs.

Good Luck,
Sandman

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Welcome to the metal detecting hobby!!!
I am not familiar with eustis, so I will have to give you some general tips.

First rule is, where ever large numbers of people gather, they lose things.

Keeping that in mind, if you can find any large grassy areas that people go to for picnics, parking, outdoor concerts, beaches, succor fields, football fields, schools, play grounds and county parks. These are a few good places to start hunting.

Also keep in mind that any old home may have many items to find. But remember to always get permission before going on private property. You may have friends or neighbors that own older homes and will let you detect their property. Be sure to read up on recovery methods to minimize damage to the lawns.  I use a probe ( ice pick, with the point dulled down) to find objects and a small garden trowel to dig the item up. Some people use a screwdriver to pry the item out of the ground. You will have to experiment to find what suits you.

The grassy area between the sidewalk and the street is normally owned by the city and you can normally hunt there.

Camp grounds are a good location to hunt also.

I'm getting a bit long winded, so I will just say Happy Hunting.
;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) ;D ;D ;D

OP
OP
P

photomo1

i appreciate your suggestions and that you took time out of your busy life to reply. i'll try to find some old meeting grounds and older homes around my area to start . good luck with your hunting - murray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread