New to MDin

B

Big Diggin

New to MDin'

I have spent the past month or so reading different post & looking at different pics of finds on this website.

For the last 4-5 years my lovely wife has suggested that I find a hobby to take up some spare time & help me loose weight.

I recently purchased the Ace 250 & I'm waiting for its arrival (should be here Thursday). I hope that all the excitement and energy I'm having now will continue after I actually start MDin'

Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: New to MDin'

Welcome!

You picked a good 1st machine!

It's a good coin & jewelry finder!

HH

Lonewolfe

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Congratuations. I think you'll enjoy the hobby, and looks like you live in a good area to find some really nice relics and other goodies.
Welcome to the forum, Good Luck, and HH!

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Digg,

welcome to the board.

Hope to be seeing some of your finds
soon.

have a good un...........

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark

Welcome aboard Big Diggin. Glad to have you with us. I have heard great things about the Ace 250. It is a super machine. You will love it.

Kimber23539

Dec 6, 2006
Crestview, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Welcome I'm new too and my first detector will be a 250 too (it hasn't arrived yet - but it's for Christmas so I still have to wait for it :P). I can't wait !

ernie

Jun 11, 2004

welcome to the most addictive hobby i know of.you bought a great machine to start it with..

RonO

Feb 10, 2006
Cotacachi, Ecuador
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - Fisher F-75 Ltd - Omega 8000

Welcome Big Diggin. I know that you will learn to enjoy the hobby as much as the rest. I wonder how happy your wife will be in two or three years when she checks the bank account after seeing your closet full of detectors. It seems that most of us have several detectors to use at different sites. Start thinking of a good
comeback when your wife says "why do you need another detector. Do you want one in each hand."
Happy hunting and please share the photos of your finds on the forum.
Ron

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250

Welcome to the forum BD...wish my wife gave me the seal of approval to detect like yours seems to have. You picked a great first detector and you have a great State to detect in...probably all year round. Hopefully you are near some CW sites and can get out there and find some great stuff. Look forward to seeing some great posts from you.

HH

Funkman

OP
OP
B

Big Diggin

Well I'm 6'5" & I weigh 345 Lbs - If MDin' gets me away from the TV and off the couch I should lose some weight!!!

:D :D :D :D

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Hello, and welcome! hope you enyoj your time here 8)

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250

You made a good choice for a first detector.........I've had the 250 for a couple of weeks and it has performed very well. Found me a nice little medallion and a merc last night. This is not the easiest detector to learn because it has quite a bit of features there for the conservative asking price. One big piece of advise for you, because it drove me nuts not knowing about it for the first few days, and it's not mentioned in the manual or video..........this detector does not sound off when the target passes through the center of the coil......it sounds off when the target passes on the outer rings. If you're sweeping over a target from left to right, it will sound off on the left out ring. Vice versa. Without this concept, you will "X" an area the size of a manhole cover. Digging itself is a workout.......you'll lose weight and strengthen your body. Get a good tool to dig, the 250 can pick up some rather deep signals.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

6' 5" and 345! When you say BIG Diggin', you mean BIG!

Can you (will you?) be more specific about where you are in Virginia?

I'm in the DC suburbs out near Dulles airport.

Also a newbie.

Welcome aboard.

DCMatt

OP
OP
B

Big Diggin

DC Matt,

I'm originally from the Campbell County area but I now live in Halifax County.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004

LOL, well don't believe the White's commercials. It will get you outside and in the open air, but you ain't gonna be losing 30 pounds unless of course you speed walk while your swinging, but then you won't be finding much either.

It's a great hobby, but don't be looking to drop too many pounds doing it unless you dress up in plastic wrap as your under clothes.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Welcome to the Great Hobby of detecting. You picked one of the newest and I think easiest detectors to hunt with.

I have been hunting with my ACE 250 all this year, and I'm sure you have viewed some of my posts. In fact I have a new post today and had a post yesterday also.

One thing I must say is if you are new to the hobby and I guess this goes without saying, PLEASE ASK FOR PERMISSION before you hunt a site. With permission you don't have to keep looking over your shoulder to see who's sending the sheriff after you for tresspassing.

Also if you need any help with your new detector, don't be afraid to ask other ACE owners, I'm sure we will be more than happy to help you out.

I hope you bought a good headset and a good stainless steel digger with your detector. They are a must!

Also you might want to invest in a good probe. I've found that once you open a hole up with the ACE, it is hard to pinpoint your target without a probe. Just a suggestion.

HH< Ringfinder

cajunmiss

Dec 2, 2006
SE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
NEW Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett GTI 1500 (board is out)

Hi and welcome...I too, am expecting a new MD for christmas...so exciting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread