New to Metal Detecting :D

david.w

Tenderfoot
Sep 19, 2006
Hi everyone,
My name is David, and, as you can see in the title, I'm new to metal detecting / treasure hunting. A couple of days ago, my Garrett Ace 150 arrived in the mail. I assembled it, read the manual, did some bench tests, and took it outside (in the rain!).
To make a long story short, I loved it, and I can't wait to totally get the hang of it. I've been outside with it three times; each time I went to the playground by my house. The first two times I used it over the grass, and dug a few holes, and found a couple of modern-day pennies, among other random "junky" things. My first, and favourite find so far was a key on a rusty keyring. Maybe I should take it with me whenever I go out detecting... it can be my "key to success in treasure hunting" ;D
After I went out for the second time, on Friday night, I realized that I was leaving the park in worse condition than when I got there. I used the detector over grass before I had gotten the hang of pinpointing, so I was digging much bigger holes than necessary. When I filled in the holes / plugs, it looked far from perfect. I felt really guilty about it (and became very discouraged about metal detecting for a while), and vowed to only use it over dirt and gravel until I was sure I could pinpoint accurately.
I went out for the third time today, and stuck to using it over the red shale / gravel around the playground equipment. I got better at pinpointing, and found three pennies, part of a toy car, and some wire... not much, but the location wasn't that great (for finding super cool things like coins from the 1800's).
For some reason, my Ace would beep as I passed it over an area on the shale, but then when I went to pass the detector over the area again, it wouldn't beep. I assumed that it was some kind of trash elimination thing on the detector, so I moved on. Does anyone know what this actually means?

On Friday night (my second time out with the detector), my Ace went "crazy" around a medium-sized depression in the grass. I've always wondered why there was that little depression in the park, so I dug. And I dug. And I dug some more. The detector was beeping all over the depression. After a while, it occurred to me that it was possible that the depression was there because someone had dug a large hole there in the past. I kept on digging, hoping / kind of expecting to find some big box filled to the brim with gold and jewels, and to be on the news, etc. After a long time digging, I found a small piece of wire about the thickness of a metal coat hanger. I put it off to the side, and detected around the hole / depression again. It acted the same as it did before I removed the wire.
After a very long time digging (in the snow, even!), I gave up and filled in the hole.
My question is: what was happening there? It was raining really hard (don't worry, I protected the control box with a makeshift rain cover), so that might have caused the detector to "false." But why did it only beep when I passed it over the depression? Maybe water had collected on the grass (the grass in the depression is longer than the grass in the rest of the park... probably because the mowers can't get into it), and that caused it to act so weird? Any ideas would be appreciated.

So, that's my story, so far. I can't wait to go detecting somewhere cool, and find my first artifact of real interest (although that key that I found was pretty cool!).

David

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, Welcome to the forum. There are a number of reasons for the reaction. I think it has to do with ground balance. I would read up on your machine and check to see it is correctly working. We have some great experts that may have better ideas. Well that was my two cents.

Burdie

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Welcome to Treasurenet. Get used to beeping and digging the bottomless pit. I have done that also...I hate to quit digging ,because at that point when I think I should...I have had too much time to think about what glorious silver and gold are just a few more inches down....This occurs about a depth of two feet...so I keep digging....And usually pull out a crushed pop can....
I would really practice as much as I could with it until you learn to read that baby...Sounds like you are hooked already...Good Sign! Looking forward to seeing your finds and pics....and practice on your lawn cutting plugs,before others....you will get good at it quick if you use your own lawn ! ;)

OP
OP
D

david.w

Tenderfoot
Sep 19, 2006
Hi gypsyheart and Burdie. Nice to meet you :D Thanks for the advice :)
I'll definitely read more about the Ace 150, and I'll get out practicing as much as I can before it starts to snow.
Speaking of snow, how difficult is it to go out treasure hunting with snow on the ground? Is it really hard to dig?

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Thinking about your depression site, it's possible that the city had a water meter there for some reason and later took it out along with the cover leaving the metal cylinder still in place. They'd have then filled in the hole and time caused the soil to settle. So you may have been digging in the center, finding nothing and still getting a signal off the wall.

OP
OP
D

david.w

Tenderfoot
Sep 19, 2006
Stoney56, that's definitely a possibility. I never thought of that! Maybe sometime in the future I'll investigate furthur. Although I imagine it would be pretty hard to get the cylinder out, and then in the end you'd just have a big metal cylinder :-\
Thanks for the idea! :)

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
exactly most parks could have at one time run a main throiugh the middle of a pak for a outer buillding then it was torn down and the main cut off they did it in my park across the street

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
DW,

welcome to the board.

Interesting reading your experiences so far.

Keep working on keeping your holes neat, it will
come; use a drop cloth for the loose dirt. Take
your time when digging.

Still think there is a chest full of gold and silver
where you were getting those signals, could have
only been a few inches away ;)

Again, welcome.

have a good un..............

OP
OP
D

david.w

Tenderfoot
Sep 19, 2006
Ah yes, it could be a chest of gold and silver, or a cylinder, a pipe, or something entirely different... I still don't know. Tomorrow I'll go back to see if I get signals again (just to make sure that the rain had nothing to do with it that night). I won't dig, because I told the guy that looks after the park that I wouldn't dig on the grass for a while.
A few days ago I went back to the park, and detected on the gravel. I found a few coins, some wire, and part of a toy car 8) Just as I was about to dig in one area, the guy (his name is George) approached me and asked me whose "thing" I was using. I told him it was mine, and we had a short discussion of digging in the park. He basically just wanted to know who was digging the hole a few nights before (the hole in the depression that we've been discussing). He told me that he was okay with me digging, just as long as I fill in the holes and don't make a mess. I told him that I'd stick to the gravel until I get better.

Earlier today I practiced digging cleaner holes in my yard. I found 22 cents in the process :D I found out that if I make a C-shaped "flap" a few centimetres deep, and flip it up and dig a hole under the flap (putting the dirt on an old bandana), retrieve the object, dump the dirt back in, flip the flap back, and step on it, everything is much nicer in the end. It doesn't look perfect, but it's much neater than what I was doing before.

Do the holes that you dig look perfect (as in exactly the way you found the area) once you fill them back in?

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
david w welcome to the tnet family. Pinpointing is often difficult for everyone when first starting out and more so with a detector that doesnt have pinpoint. I use an x pattern that is where you run the detector over the target in an x and the target will be in the center of the x. Also pick areas that are easy to recover targets in initally until you get comfortable with recovering your target. anotherwords, beaches, playgrounds, schoolyards where a minimal of digging is required. But practice, practice, practice is the key. An electronid pinpointer may help with some of those tiny targets that are hard to find. Sorry cant help you with snow question here in north carolina we only get bout once a year and we havent had any in nearly 2 years.
Keep us posted on your finds and if we can help let us know
hh
dave+bobbie

OP
OP
D

david.w

Tenderfoot
Sep 19, 2006
Dave and Bobbie,
Yeah, I use the X pattern for pinpointing too. Most of the time I make a star pattern ( like so *), just to make sure.
I recently read that it's against the law to dig in city parks and playgrounds, so I'm going to write an email to City Parks and ask if metal detecting is okay.
I might go out to the mountains this weekend and practice along rivers or other easy-to-dig places. I'm not sure if I have to ask for permission to dig around there though... if it's not in a park, is it okay?
Thanks for the advice,
David

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some times if a metal object is in the ground for a period of time it builds whats called a halo affect around it
read up on the halo affect.
i found a penny once 12 inches down because of the halo affect wich still beeped after removing the coin.
Hope this helps

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread