New to the forum... Introduction & needing help with a strange coin...

xnytxowlx

Sep 15, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello everyone, I just started coin roll hunting bank wrapped rolls of halves this summer. I do about 4 boxes a week now and have done 39 total boxes to date (getting 4 more tomorrow). I have always been into collecting something, from sports cards/memorabilia, to vintage toys, to vintage video games, and now silver!

Anyway, my dad has always collected coins, and he always has asked for halves at the bank when he cashes checks. His best haul was from many years ago (more than a decade) when he received 3 rolls of Walkers and Franklins and two rolls of 40%ers. He hasnt found much at the bank in a while, but he still asks.

Earlier in the Spring, I cashed a check and asked if they had any halves. The teller had 1 roll, and she also said she had 5 Ike dollars, so I took those too. There was a Franklin, a 64 Kennedy, and 2 40%ers in the roll... and best of all, one of the "Ikes" was actually a Peace dollar. This sparked my interest, and the next month, I ordered 1 box of halves. I went through all of them and found 1 40%er. Not really worth my time and effort, but I had so much fun doing it (sort of like opening a box of baseball cards)! Since then, as I said before, I have opened about 38 more boxes. I started out VERY hot, then went on a 12 box skunk streak, then have been slowly finding more since. I also have received 11 more 40%s in customer wrapped rolls from the bank (all in one roll) and 3 from a Turkey Hill gas station.

My best box so far was one of my first... it had 5 Walkers, 2 64 Kennedys, and 8 40%ers.

Customer-wrapped rolls & other various finds:
02 - 90%ers
15 - 40%ers
01 - Peace dollar
05 - Clad Ikes

In total, I have found the following inside of the bank wrapped rolls (47 boxes - updated 9/29/13):
12 - Walkers (all in that one box)
07 - Franklins
10 - 64 Kennedys
70 - 40% Kennedys (including a 68 Proof & 1970 proof)
10 - Proofs
10 - Strange Gold-Plated Coins (some with various things on them)
06 - Strange Silver-Plated Coins
01 - ?????????

Maybe you guys could help me out on this other coin. What the hell happened to it?

20130915_215506.jpg 20130915_220309.jpg 20130915_220501.jpg 20130915_220547.jpg 20130915_220641.jpg 20130915_220830.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice scores!

I have found a half that I was able to peel a top layer off of it, no idea what the deal was with that either.

HH

OP
OP
X

xnytxowlx

Sep 15, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
I tried to peel off that last remaining piece with my fingernail, but it is definitely very strongly connected to the actual coin. I have no idea what is wrong with this coin, but I like it. It is actually my favorite find so far since it is so strange. I have no idea how it ended up in a bank roll. I would figure that some machine somewhere would spit that one back out.

OP
OP
X

xnytxowlx

Sep 15, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
what else could even cause this sort of damage? i am assuming this is a lamination error (based on viewing other images of lamination errors). i do not know how else this can happen

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, it appears to have been cut and then someone peeled off the top layer. I think it's just damage.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like you've been finding some of the same gold plated/screen printed coins that I have! I think those were all from hurricane sandy. some guy had his whole stock ruined and dumped 'em. a lot are water damaged and they seem to be more prevalent around the NY/NJ/CT area

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread