New to the hobby any help would help!

Lexfire23

Nov 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I'm just getting started into the hobby, a friend of mine had a Ace 250 and I watched him for a few hours. I had a starter detector when I was a kid back in the late 70's. I was amazed by the newer technology of today. I was wondering what would be a great model to start with but also wanted a model that I could still use as I progressed without having to buy another model?

Any info would be Greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

Lexington Kentucky

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Mark! A lot depends on where you hunt and what you want to find. A popular mid priced machine is the Garrett AT Pro. It's good for relics, coins and jewelry and also waterproof.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello and welcome.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and I agree with what Wayne said. Also, even the high end models are pretty much turn on and go. They just have many more options, detect deeper in most cases, are more stable, and can adapt to changing conditions better than the low priced ones. A lot will depend on your budget. Buy the best you can afford......which needs to include a pin pointer, sand scoop (if you have sand to sift) digging tools, pouch, headphones, etc.

OP
OP
L

Lexfire23

Nov 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are your thoughts on the Ace 350 for that range of money?? Or for a beginner is it worth it to spend the the extra $200 for the AT pro. Just not sure if I need that extra features right off the bat??

Thanks
Mark

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, and welcome from Louisiana.....

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are your thoughts on the Ace 350 for that range of money?? Or for a beginner is it worth it to spend the the extra $200 for the AT pro. Just not sure if I need that extra features right off the bat??

Thanks
Mark
In my opinion, Yes, I'd go with the AT Pro over the 350. The difference is worth way more than $200. Just being waterproof makes it worth the extra. What kind of hunting are you planning on doing? There might be an even better choice for certain conditions or targets.

Mechanic55

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Blunter hunter 2200 elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello and welcome from Ky hope you enjoy hunting as much as I do

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pp-civilwar-print2 (2).jpg

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt with a F75, I like it as it has 500 different settings. No detector does it all, but the F75 and T2 will hunt deep, and they are very senssitive. I like the VDI screen that lets me ignore junk, and the F75 really likes dimes. I own a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202 and it is a great machine to start with. But if your going to do any real swinging and can afford a F75, get one. You could call it a poor mans minelab.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from a native Kentuckian. I started out a few months ago with an older Garrett and have already upgraded to an AT Pro. I have gone over places I hunted many times ( to the point of thinking I had it all ) and found more with the ATP. If you even remotely believe you will be serious in the hobby, do something you won't regret and spend the extra cash and buy the better detector. You'll probably buy the 350 later to have as a backup, lol. Once hooked, the thought of not having a detector is the scariest thing in the world. Read everything you can here and ask questions. Do not limit yourself to one type (place) of hunt either. You'll be surprised at the varied finds you get, so the more you know, the more pleasantly surprised you'll be in your hunts. Good luck.

OP
OP
L

Lexfire23

Nov 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the help it has very helpful in my decision to purchase the AT pro.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't forget...we have supporting vendors here on Tnet that will give you a great deal.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA).
reading_01.gif
You might consider browsing Sub-Forums: Kentucky for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.

JMD147

Nov 16, 2013
League City, TX
Detector(s) used
ATPro/GPP/Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello!
I'm brand new to the hobby. It's always been an interest of mine and I finally pulled the trigger and bought a detector. I'm learning that there's a lot more to "targeting" than I originally thought and as I don't want to break any laws or do anything taboo, I'd really appreciate learning from some of you veterans on where and when to hunt. I live near Galveston and thought that might be an appropriate starting point. Any advice? Thanks!
John

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! You probably should start your own thread to get your questions answered. You can also run a search in the various sections for the different topics you have an interest in. Learn proper recovery techniques in your own yard before you hit the public parks, schools, and other people's property. As for the laws, that will depend on who owns the property. You can look up who owns it through your county tax records. Most are posted online, others you'll have to take a trip to the local courthouse to search through the records. Once you know the owner, you can then check the laws regarding that land. Private property will require permission from the owner or person in charge of that land. Government owned land will have their prohibitions posted in their rule books which are also available online in most cases. Just don't go asking a bureaucrat "can I detect" as you will most likely get a "NO" and/or possibly bringing your proposed activities to the attention of others that might object to detecting for whatever reason. It's best to stay out of sight and out of mind even when it's completely legal to do it. You may want to join a local detecting club and find out from the members if there are any sensitive areas around you or local knowledge of laws that might not be enforced. Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread