Nov 7, 2013
Myrtle Beach SC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200
Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello!

I'm new to the forum and new to metal detecting. I recently found a Bounty Hunter (I think) Discovery 2200 at a yard sale for $25 and thought I would give it a try. I will be mainly hunting at the beach, dry and wet sand and ankle-deep surf, so I've been reading up on a better-quality machine, one that can handle the salt and sand.

I have my eye on a new White's Coinmaster GT, but I'm still checking the many pawn shops here in Myrtle Beach SC (USA) for a used detector. I see what they are offering in my price range, then check it out on the Web, looking for reviews, user manuals, etc. Several of the shops are dealers, too.

I retired a year and a half ago, so I have lots of time to hunt. I'm only a short bike ride from the State Park and neighboring beaches.

I'm looking forward to what I can learn in the forum and eventually showing off what I manage to dig up.

Regards,

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are near Myrtle Beach, go buy the book Gold Beneath the Waves by Jim Brouwer. He lives in your area and has written a great resource for water and beach hunting.

The targets on your beach can be very deep due to wind and tidal conditions.

Good luck on your hunts and welcome to Treasurenet.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from florida.

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, and welcome from Louisiana.....

OP
OP
Diggin in MB

Diggin in MB

Nov 7, 2013
Myrtle Beach SC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200
Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
Thanks, Wayne, for the book suggestion, and everyone.
First day out, first attempt at detecting and I bring home 30 cents and a tent stake.
I guess my yard sale Discovery 2200 is working.
This must be a good omen.
First Days Find 8 Nov 2013 Backload.JPG

I'm ready.
Regards,

Chevyfan2k9

Aug 27, 2013
Conway,sc
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta 4000,fisher f2,garrett gta350,bounty hunter elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard, I live up in conway sc and just got back into mding, the 2200 not a bad machine I have the elite 2200 which is the same and still use it on tot lots, my main machine is my delta 4000 and fisher f2, if you looking for a upgrade check out the market place forum here and there's a few guys who can get you started with some really good deals and if you looking for someone to go out hunting there a few of us locals around

Jack

Hognutz

Nov 3, 2013
Williamsburg County , S.C.
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello!

I'm new to the forum and new to metal detecting. I recently found a Bounty Hunter (I think) Discovery 2200 at a yard sale for $25 and thought I would give it a try. I will be mainly hunting at the beach, dry and wet sand and ankle-deep surf, so I've been reading up on a better-quality machine, one that can handle the salt and sand.

I have my eye on a new White's Coinmaster GT, but I'm still checking the many pawn shops here in Myrtle Beach SC (USA) for a used detector. I see what they are offering in my price range, then check it out on the Web, looking for reviews, user manuals, etc. Several of the shops are dealers, too.

I retired a year and a half ago, so I have lots of time to hunt. I'm only a short bike ride from the State Park and neighboring beaches.

I'm looking forward to what I can learn in the forum and eventually showing off what I manage to dig up.

Regards,

Welcome! I live right up the road from you near Georgetown.

P.S.- Don't get caught detecting at a State Park/Beach....:laughing7:

OP
OP
Diggin in MB

Diggin in MB

Nov 7, 2013
Myrtle Beach SC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200
Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
Got some gear

Welcome! I live right up the road from you near Georgetown.

P.S.- Don't get caught detecting at a State Park/Beach....:laughing7:

Greetings, Mr. Nutz, not sure if you're serious or just trying to keep me off the beach. :-) It turns out metal detectors ARE allowed in the state parks and beaches in South Carolina, but with some exceptions. The site southcarolinaparks.com has the policy - basically no detecting at State Historic sites, but the sandy beaches are OK. Park rangers will give you the OK at the entrance.

I located a like-new Coinmaster GT on eBay, still under warranty and for a good price. I planted some change in the dry and wet sand to see how it reacts and I'm learning the technique. On my first trips out to the Myrtle Beach and Huntington Beach State Parks I scored a few quarters and dimes and a full soda can, so I know the GT is working as it's supposed to.

Following some tips by a fellow on YouTube - Beau Ouimette - I made a simple sling for the GT from a sturdy camera strap and a carabiner which attaches just below the battery pack. Over my head like a bandolier, it holds the GT right on my hip, supporting the weight but allowing easy movement. I can swing the shaft left and right with little effort and quickly stow the GT behind my back when I kneel down to dig. Works a champ and keeps the GT's head off the ground. (Mr. Ouimette makes some very entertaining videos of his hunting - including one great find of silver coins from the late 1700s early 1800s. It's really worth watching).

So, thanks everyone for the encouragement. I'm definitely hooked and I'll post again in the Metal Detecting Forum if/when I find something interesting. We had a 72° day on the Grand Strand today - that's why I retired to Myrtle Beach!

Regards,
-stephen

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread