New to the hobby...

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Get one with a adjustable ground balance. In South Carolina you have some minerlized soil, and this adjustment will help your learning curve go smoother. One more thing, don't mail order your first detector. Go through a local dealer, and they will give you all the training and advise that you need to get a great start.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kevin,
A really good place to start is click the Kellyco ad on top to get an idea of what is available. Support our sponsor! Then read some.... many ...of the comparison posts available on this net. Oops! Maybe not. You'll find people's ideas as diverse as the detectors available. Really... take your time and compare. The best does NOT always cost the most. Then hunt, hunt, hunt and have fun! TTC

OP
OP
Kevin Bozard

Kevin Bozard

Aug 7, 2008
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Thanks for the comments guys!
nuggetshooter323 said:
Get one with a adjustable ground balance. In South Carolina you have some minerlized soil, and this adjustment will help your learning curve go smoother. One more thing, don't mail order your first detector. Go through a local dealer, and they will give you all the training and advise that you need to get a great start.

I'm glad you told me about the adjustable ground balance, now my searches are for those type machines.

TerryC said:
Kevin,
A really good place to start is click the Kellyco ad on top to get an idea of what is available. Support our sponsor! Then read some.... many ...of the comparison posts available on this net. Oops! Maybe not. You'll find people's ideas as diverse as the detectors available. Really... take your time and compare. The best does NOT always cost the most. Then hunt, hunt, hunt and have fun! TTC

Thanks Terry. I'm an amateur astronomer as well, and the same goes for telescopes, so I understand what you're saying there. I'm anxious to get a detector, and I'm glad I didn't jump on the first one that caught my eye.

DirtDevil said:
My first detector was a Prizm IV. Although it did very well for me, it had a fixed ground balance. Consider maybe the Prizm 6T?
http://whiteselectronics.com/content/view/4756/510/ :thumbsup:

Thanks DD. While I would love the Prizm 6T, I really can't afford the $600 price tag right now. So I think I may have to settle for a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. It seems to be an all around decent machine. The reviews I've read on it are pretty good for one of lesser expense. I think this one may be a good starter for me, and if this hobby turns out like my other one. I'm sure this won't be the last metal detector that I buy. I've been into amateur astronomy since 2006, and I already have 5 telescopes. Heck who knows? By 2010, I may have 5 or 6 detectors by then.

Thanks again guys! ;D

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Keven,

I spent almost 4 months researching telescopes before I forked out a couple grand on one I would use for some years.

With detectors, It's the same process. I had bought a new, inexpensive model...then bought a better one, then another...and another....

Finally sold my scope to detect since there are too many cloudy days in Pa for star watching. That much money collecting dust when I could by a DFX and some accessories.....it doesnt have to be a clear day to detect :thumbsup:.

Al

OP
OP
Kevin Bozard

Kevin Bozard

Aug 7, 2008
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Thanks for the greeting Al :)

Well it's done. The BH Pioneer 505 is on order, and I look forward to receiving it. I can't wait to start posting some finds!
:icon_jokercolor:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread