Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did my first one this week in front of a old home and I dug a lot of clad. It was well worth it.

I had power lines overhead so I think that limited what I could find.

I've been trying to get the nerve up to ask property owners for permission when I drove by an old house with a for rent sign in the window. I called the number and ask for permission and with out hesitation the guy said yes.

I stayed out of the yard because I saw kids toys and someone still lived there but I think they where gone at the time, so I focused my efforts on the sidewalk area.

It's getting tougher around here with all the competition, I'm either going to have to hang it up or start going where no one else goes.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think 19blockhead64 hit the nail right on the head.

I think that's probably one area that doesnt get much attention because a lot of us dont have the nerve to knock on doors or seek permission to detect private property....and those that do hit paydirt.

Dont give it up man....you got lots of places to detect....you just gotta forget the obvious and do some research and hit those lesser obvious places. Grassy strips seem prime.

Al

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I've gotten silver, wheaties, etc.... off the publicly owned sidewalks strips. But where I'm at, the strips are scarcely 5 ft. wide. I've heard that in some other southern and eastern states, the strips are actually wider than the house lawn itself! A buddy I used to hunt with moved here from such a state (old cites in AL or whatever) and said they'd roam these large parking strips all the time. Once in a great while, you'd get some busy-body nosing in, but nothing that they couldn't blow them off and keep hunting.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
absolutely. my son has a dr. appointment in knoxville every so often and while he's inside i hit the strips in front of the apartment houses. These are mostly older homes converted to apartments for university students. well worth the effort

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These strips between the sidewalk and road are great spots to find many different coins. People would drop things getting out of cars, money dropped waiting for the ice cream truck, etc.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
In some cases, the grassey area between the side walk and the curb does not belong to the property owner. It belongs to the county or city. It is polite to ask permission but you are not trespassing on the homewoners property because they might maintain it but do not own it. Not saying this applies in all cases.

That area is normally utility easement for water lines, telephone lines, gas lines etc..

I know it can get ugly if a property owner takes exception to your activities on what he may think is his property, but you can always say sorry and leave.

Just something to think about.

Ray S

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Those "parkways" are great places to detect, especially if they are in an older part of town. They are even better if the city digs them up for you during construction or the addition of new sod.

I have to say, that even if the parkways are public domain, it's a good idea to get permission anyway. It is, by the way, the responsibility of the homeowner/landlord to maintain those areas, in most cases. Where I'm from, one might get shot or beat up for digging those areas without permission. Not worth the risk. Always ask.

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread