New to the site. I live in Bradenton, FL

GulfSun

Greenie
Jun 30, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Viper Trident Hybrid
:hello:

I don't get to MD alot especially lately. And i'm a beginner at metal detecting. I know a little bit about the laws. But at this point it's getting very confusing and frustrating. I know you can't MD in state parks or federal lands.

However, I was told you can MD on the strip of grass near the side walk. Is that true? And also do I need permission to do that?
What about MDing, real estate for sale by the realty companies? Do I need permission from them to MD there as well? Cause, there's an old spot that looks pretty darn tempting and it's for sale.

Does anyone know of any places to legally MD around Bradenton, besides the beach and public parks?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I lived in Braedenton ten years ago. I always did pretty good on the major intersections where they set up the fruit stands. Not alot, but good cold cash (ok, Florida has hot cash). I also like the parking areas just in from the beaches.TTC

OP
OP
GulfSun

GulfSun

Greenie
Jun 30, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Viper Trident Hybrid
I see alot of those stands, never thought about detecting there. I just don't want to loose my MD. LOL, hot cash. I don't see why you can't keep it, considering is was overlooked? That's a great idea the parking lots, do you ever have to dig real deep?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, Gulfsun, no need to dig deep. We're talking "clad" now. Just push the sand aside with your shoe. No thongs or flip flops... too many grass thistles. A simple three prong garden tool will do. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gulfsun, Here is an axiom that has ALWAYS done good for me: Where ever people gather. TTC

OP
OP
GulfSun

GulfSun

Greenie
Jun 30, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Viper Trident Hybrid
Very true. I'm going to copy some laws when I get time. Cause there's this big tree outside the park where I live and it's really old. But i'm so scared that I will get arrested if I MD it. It's not in a state or federal park, just on the side of the road near the sidewalk. But since I live in the bad part of town. And i'm pretty sure these cops don't really care about people, because it is a bad part of town, that they will arrest me if I try to MD the tree or sidewalks strips in the ditch area. I worry alot.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, Gloria Ghoul, what you in for (murder). Patti Palooka (muder). Betty Bomber (murder). Gulfsun (metal detecting). Don't worry about it. Just go with a friend. TTC

OP
OP
GulfSun

GulfSun

Greenie
Jun 30, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Viper Trident Hybrid
Terry C.

Thanks, I found today I can metal detect in our park a little bit. Which made my weekend and my fourth of July. :thumbsup:

My finds were a 1983 penny on Saturday the second. And on Monday July 4th found a 1963 penny. It was so much fun. Cant wait to continue the hunt. I only covered a bit of ground.

I do have one question, what do you do when you hear sounds all in one area? I'm not sure if it's black sand or what, but I turn up my Sensitivity level to max and I hear a ton of things with the discriminator on high. I can't tell if it's a false signal is there a way to determine if it is?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do some "testing". Get a penny... nickel... dime... etc. and find a place with NO signals. Put the coins, individually, on the ground and record what they display and sound like. TAKE NOTES! Do it over and over 'til you can be sure of the sound and display. Now, go out and duplicate that with the targets in the ground. The sound and display must be good and solid and repeatable. Also, collect some pop-tops, tin foil, bottle caps. Do the same thing with those and try to steer clear of those signals when hunting. With practice, you will discern between a coin and "trash". Now, GO FOR IT! GL TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread