1st time in florida need help

DONinPA

Nov 8, 2008
Hi all...im from pittsburgh and have a chance to travel to orlando next week. If i do it will be my first time Ill be staying by pier 16....any suggestions?? how hot will it be or might be? amt of people this time of year? anyone else hunt this area? Any other place close? I would have 5 days...thanks for the input...and also...what is the best way to fly with a detector??

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey DoninPA,

That's Orange City? Not exactly Orlando, not even in the same county. Anyway, it's hotter than heck here, you can't hunt at parks etc. for more than an hour or so before you're drenched and become a giant bug magnet.

If you're in Orange City, you're almost walking distance to Cassadaga, which is a town that was created by many psychics and other, uhm, interesting folks. It is one of the first settlements in the area. There is a Park there called Colby Lake City park. The first post office back in the early 1900's was actually on a corner of the current park property. I did some hunting in the woods, but not the park. There were some undesirables there drinking beer, so I sort of avoided them. Give it a try. You're usually fine in City and County Parks in Florida unless there are signs prohibiting metal detecting. DO NOT HUNT IN STATE PARKS.

I disassemble mine and pack it in all my clothes in a checked bag.

Please fill all your holes and pack out your trash finds.

PM me with the dates, maybe we could hook up. It would be terrible to have another excuse to go somewhere metal detecting. :icon_thumleft:

JackInFlorida

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I carry my electronics/coil in my carry on. I don't trust the luggage handlers. seen too much stolen. Never have a problem.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For traveling, I have one of those hard case gun carriers. They often ask if I am transporting firearms. Many times I am, but it doubles as a very sturdy md transporter. Will carry two if broken down. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread