New to this...What detector should I go with???

george76

Mar 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OK, I live in NEPA and want to do some hunting. I have no hope of hitting the "Big One" or anything of that nature. Some coins and old stuff would be cool. I really do not know where to start when it comes to a detector. I have heard many good things about the White detectors, was wondering if someone could guide me as to which one I should buy.

Prizm, Coinmanster, E-Series????

Any help would be great.

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree that Whites makes good detectors..... I swing a VX3 myself.

I personally wouldnt have one of the entry level machines they make.... I think there are better beginner detectors out there for the money. I start getting on board with Whites at the M6 and up.... but not so much the DFX.... might as well get a "V" at that point.

In that range I would be looking to the Ace 350 and Fisher F4 or F5. If you you dont mind analog detectors (no display) then I highly recommend Tesoro (deeeeeeeep).

I like the AT Pro as well. It handles iron and bottle caps better than my VX3..... and I dont have to worry about mud or rain..... or dropping it in the creek.

Lots of choices out there..... I personally would get one with a ground balancing feature for sure... and something that has enough going for it that you dont grow out of it too soon and will make a great backup machine if you decide to sink money into a top end rig at some point.

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Cibola, good inexpensive turn on and swing machine. Use it enuf u will know the difference between a button, square nail, and a coin havent mastered them dam pulltabs yet tho!

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You say your main interest is relic hunting.

Take a look at the Tesoro Tejon or the Teknetics G2/Fish Gold Bug DP.

If you want something less expensive getting started, get the Ace 350.

And if you can swing it a good digger (Lesche are among the best) and a good pin pointer (Garrett Propointer is my favorite), you'll be set.

Good luck to you! :icon_thumleft:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't mention where in NE PA You are.
If your Near Pottsville, The Nature & Discovery Store
west end of New Ringold sc011048.jpg
is an Authorized Whites Dealer.
Even IF You don't want to pay his Prices, You
can Stop in, Check some out, Get his Thoughts,
Then come back here & Ask for best Prices :thumbsup:
I Won't Tell ;D

Whites are Good Detectors.

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't buy too much machine to start with. Finding good stuff is difficult and the frustration mounts fast when you have spent multi- hundreds of dollars for a machine you can't interpret what its telling you. The Ace 250, the Cibola or the F2 is a great way to test the waters and see if you have the patience needed to make the hobby a success.

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola
Exactly what limegoldconvertible said. Have seen more than a few guys buy f-75?s, etrax, and so on, not having a clue on the learning curve involved, just end up frustrated and quit. Worst ever was a camo f-75 smashed to pieces on a stump. I was pulling bullet after bullet with my $350 machine while he dug pop cans. He had no clue or business starting out with that machine. Just sayin. K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
George76,

personally I would get the prizm 5 G you have to ground balance it, so that's a good thing and I hunted with people how owns them and they love them. they give you good in formation on the screen.
It's a smooth operating detector, It's light, good on batteries, some what deep,and it's a Whites service is second to none. It's a good sounding detector multi tone, easy to pin point, And there resale is is still has a high value, and there's after markets accessorize for that detector.
Never tried a Tesorro, or a fisher, ace 2 fiddy bell tone there's a lot of people that say it drives them batty and it falsies a lot it you don't turn the darn thing down....

liftloop

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have dealt with the nature and discovery store and they are good people. i bought my xlt there.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you are wanting to stay with Whites then I would recommend the MXT. It is an excellent all around machine and easy to operate. You can pick up some very nice used ones at a great price. They are killer machines for relics and is one of Whites most popular machine ever. I also hear good things about the AT PRO. There are many machines that will work for you. Best thing to do is get what you can afford and learn it very well. You can always upgrade later.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most entry-level machines would do fine. I would just suggest "Buy local" from one of the retailers that post here. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread