Allen TX
Upvote 0

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
The buzzword for new MDer this year seems to be the Garrett Ace 250. I got one back in the summer based on recommendations here. It's lightweight and smart, easy to use, and runs around $200-$250, depending on where you order it from. Perfect for a beginner, and even a few of the old timers have purchased one. Welcome to the forum and good luck!

Noodle

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the hobby. Yes the ACE 250 is a great starter detector. It's a turn on and go machine with no playing with knobs and buttons. It will detect a coin about 6 or 7 inches and even deeper sometimes. Try not to order it from ebay uness you are ordering from a store or you may get stiffed. Mail order is ok if they advertise in Eastern & Western Treasures magazine.

Good luck and tell us about your finds.

Sandman

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I ordered mine from Kellyco. At the time they had oodles of free stuff that came with it. I've used it all, too. Not junk.

Noodle

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
The Ace 250 is fine but if you've got money go for the GTI2500.

Personally, I'm bias for Tesoros. The Cibola is $340 new and should be a lot deeper than the 250.

Tesoros have the best warranty in the business and they also have tremendous resale value.

Add to this the fact that they're light and easy on the arm and you've got a winner.

Buy your Tesoro from one of the proven online dealers or a local dealer if you have one.

Don't forget to get a coil cover with it.

HH

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Isuzu,

welcome to the forum.

If you have a club in your area, check them out. They would give you some good ideas on
what is out in the market; plus you would be able to try them out.

The Ace 250, as mentioned, is an outstanding machine for the money. Lot of folks on the
forum use it.

have a good un........

Diamond Spike

Jan 26, 2005
Alabama
Hey Isuzu and welcome
I would go with the garretts.
The detectors are made in Garland TX real close to you.
The factory store there would probaly have some good prices on them no middle man.
They have a treasure museum and trial area where you can check out the detectors before you buy them.

Garrett Metal Detectors (Corporate Headquarters)
1881 West State Street
Garland, Texas
75042-6797 USA

Tel : 972-494-6151
Fax : 972-494-1881

Diamond spike

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recommend a used Tesoro Silver Umax (I used this one for many years) - very simple to operate, foolproof pinpointing and GOES DEEP on SMALL targets.

You'll probably get a million recommendations, but do your research and pick wisely, your first detector will not be forgotten.

Remember the name that means treasure...........

Attachments

• Tesoro.jpg
    Tesoro.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 186
  • Tesoro.jpg
    Tesoro.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 183

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would recommend the Prizm series, I love my Prizm III. Target ID and depth indicator are very accurate, and pinpoint is right on the money. It goes deep too, coins around 8 inches or so with the stock coil. The White's Prizm II is $200, the III is $300, IV is $400, and V is $500, all prices after $50 instant coupon. Good luck in what ever you choose and welcome to a very addicting hobby.

HH

Southcacalaky

Silver Member
Oct 2, 2005
Summerville, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro "Eldorado", Whites "Beach Hunter ID",
Determine what you want to do with you machine, coin shhoting, gold, salt water, relic hunting then compare prices , specs, and advice from owners, HH Art...

tgravatt

Dec 21, 2005
Pierre, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Isuzu1992,

Hello and welcome to the Treasure Net!

My first question to you on this subject would be how much can you afford to really spend on a new and beginning hobby?

Yes, you can spend less for a metal detector, but certainly, with a cheaper detector, most people get frustrated by digging trash all the time and end up using it for a coat rack or something. I say spend as much as you can possibly afford, get the best for your money, do your homework-ie research the places that you are likely to go and detect at, and in a short time, you will be digging up some real treasures, and thus ensuring a great detecting experience.

I have a Garret Ace 250, a Garret treasure ace 150, and 1 Garret GTAX all of which are mostly for my kids-not trying to put anyone else down that uses these kinds of detectors, but I wouldn't even try to compare it to any of the Minelab Explorers, the experience is absolutely unique with the Minelabs.

For example, with the Garret Ace 250, you get a "beep", same beep for everything that it detects. The Minelab Explorers have individual tones for different types of metal objects. This alone is quite a remarkable tool just to be able to use.

The Garret Ace 250 displays a LCD graph of what it detects, the Explorer can either display two digital values -like 03 and 29 for a silver dime or something, (Inductive and conductive properties respectively) of the metal under the coil, or a cross-hair display that also is positioned on the screen to represent the same inductive and conductive properties of what is under the coil.

This is a two dimensional definition for the Explorer as compared to a single dimension graph with a block under an unchangeable icon for the Garret Ace 250.

Totally different world for sure.

My second question would be, just how serious do you think you might be as a person that metal detects?

Without a doubt, the Minelab Explorers are built with capabilities that critically and easily compliment a very serious metal detectorist.

My third question would be, how technically minded are you?

The reason for this is simple. With the Minelab Explorers, sure a learning curve for the first time user to get it set up and using it with confidence, but it, and I must say this honestly, challenges and compliments my skills every time I take it out, by this I mean that the machines capabilities are astounding to say the least.

If you are technically minded enough, you can advance your skills right along with the machines capabilities. I can say that my finds have progressively gotten better and my efficiency has greatly improved over time. In fact, some of the things that I have found with the Minelabs are amazing to say the least.

Go to the home page here and then page on down to the metal detector reviews by manufacturer to read some very informative material on the very same question that you ask here.

Also, here is a link to a topic on this site for my thoughts on the MineLab Explorer II's.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,25770.msg173778.html#msg173778

I hope that this helps out some.

Happy Hunting and good luck!

T.G.Creations

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions