Brendan2007

Aug 16, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hey everybody,

I am fairly new to this hobby. I bought a whites coinmaster gt a few months back, and ive been hunting the local fields/woods around my town. I haven't found anything spectacular, a few clads near my house...the majority of of my finds have been nails! I am discriminating iron&nails but they still show up. What am I doing wrong? Is it the detector settings or the places im searching? I sure would appreciate some input

Dogtirednj

Apr 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Notching out nails is nearly impossible as so many are made up of various metals. Are you activating tone id? I have noticed that with tone id on most nails actually give me a "choppy" tone, despite the vdi reading.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey everybody,

I am fairly new to this hobby. I bought a whites coinmaster gt a few months back, and ive been hunting the local fields/woods around my town. I haven't found anything spectacular, a few clads near my house...the majority of of my finds have been nails! I am discriminating iron&nails but they still show up. What am I doing wrong? Is it the detector settings or the places im searching? I sure would appreciate some input

Are the signals for nails very jumpy? This usually indicates junk, and you should wait for a nice semi- clear (it can still jump around a little) signal.
HH!
C4C

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rust makes iron sound better than it is and sounds also depend on how the nail is orientated.

OP
OP
Brendan2007

Brendan2007

Aug 16, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Sandman,

These nails I find are definitely rusted. Im going to do a few tests when I get home. Right now I am at the library doing some research hoping to find some new leads. I am only24 so I dont know many old timers in the area, wish I did!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman,

These nails I find are definitely rusted. Im going to do a few tests when I get home. Right now I am at the library doing some research hoping to find some new leads. I am only24 so I dont know many old timers in the area, wish I did!

Iron halos will fool most VLF detectors. I've dug many rusty items thinking it was a non-ferrous target. Not as much anymore since changing detector brands.

OP
OP
Brendan2007

Brendan2007

Aug 16, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Fletch,

Do you think it could be the detector? What would you recommend instead? I enjoy this hobby, im an avid coin collector. Thats why I bought a detector. So.im willing to upgrade if it would benefit me.

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fletch,

Do you think it could be the detector? What would you recommend instead? I enjoy this hobby, im an avid coin collector. Thats why I bought a detector. So.im willing to upgrade if it would benefit me.

Nothing wrong with your detector. You can disc out the iron that nails are made of, but that sharp point will sound like a quarter every time. The best thing you can do is remember that the signal has to be solid and repeatable. If you get a good target return, move your swing direction 90 degrees and repeat. If you still get a good signal, it's a good target, if it breaks up, then it wasn't a good one after all.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its just the nature of the beast. I've had a bent rusty nail and fence staples fool every detector I've ever used from a tesoro to minelab. Sometimes you just have to be sure there's not a good target next to iron when you hear what seems to be a good tone mixed with iron tone.

FreeMindStuck

Jan 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you listen very closely iron and iron halo will have a slightly different sound. It will be sharper, more chirpy, unlike the rounded, solid tone a coin makes.
1. If while swinging in discrimination mode you fix on the ground where the target hits. Then pinpoint the target. If it moves it's likely iron.
2. You can also try the technique called rimming. Take a good target. Pinpoint it and then sweep the target with the leading edge of your coil. If it changes then it is iron.
3. Try stomping on the ground. When it is iron the target sometimes changes.
4. Another technique is sweep the target with your coil a foot to a foot and a half above the ground. If it is still there it is most likely large deep iron.
Even with all these techniques you will still sometimes be fooled. If you're not digging some iron you are probably leaving good targets in the ground.

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More time learning the sounds of ur machine, test gardens, air tests with junk & good targets will help to start training urself what to listen for good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread