New to Treasure Net(newbie101)

N

Newbie101

My wife recently purchased a Bounty Hunter IV detector for me for my birthday.I'm new to this hobby of metal detecting.Still learning how to operate the detector.My interests primarily are coin-shooting, jewelry hunting.So far I have managed to find lots of nails,bottle caps,and just yesterday found my first two coins-pennies(1981,1998) in my yard.Any ideas, suggestions on settings on my machine for finding coins, jewelry would be helpful.I've gone through the manual and tried the suggested settings several times.Having a lot of fun so far.Thoroughly enjoy reading all the posts of the different finds.I'm a native of the Seattle area.Yeah, I know lots of rain.My mding got cut short yesterday because of the weather.I'm a avid coin collector(foreign or us).

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Welcome to the Forum and Happy Belated Birthday.
You will learn alot here...just by reading through the posts. Your BH is a great machine ,you just need to learn it it. I loved mine .Good Luck hunting and looking forward to your finds!

OP
OP
N

Newbie101

Thanks for the kind words, Jeffro/gypsyheart.

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems simular to the Bounty Hunter 101 I used to have. What I did was kept the sensitivity dial and the discriminate dial both at about the 2 O'clock setting. This worked well for me for three yrs. You'll probably adjust it a bit from there to satisfy your needs.
The trash... you'll always get foil, that is good... that is where your gold and jewelry are hiding out at! You just have to learn the sounds, throw all sorts of differant coins and junk on the ground and see what they all sound like and you'll better understand a coin sound from scattered junk. It's all trial and error but tons of fun.

Good luck, let us know what you get!

Chris

OP
OP
N

Newbie101

Thanks Chris for the helpful suggestions.I've got my eye on a few areas for my next hunt.I'm going to ask to MD at my youngest son's school as I noticed there has been a lot of construction starting up recently.Also there is a small park close to home.I wonder if I need to ask for permission to MD there.Oh well I'll find out.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Newbie,

Welcome to the forum. Glad you are with us. What part of this great country do you hail from. I've never owned a BH, but have heard great things about them. I'm sure you will like it. Look forward to see pics of your finds.

OP
OP
N

Newbie101

Ron(PA), I lived in the Seattle area all of my life.So far this BH machine is really interesting to hunt with.Just starting to get in sync with it. My next project will be to see if my wife's digital cameral will take descent pictures of my finds.Good luck with your future hunting.

johny mc.

May 18, 2005
welcome and have fun detecting....my experience with BH'ers is they are good for generel use and at times troublesome on say fine jewelry...... a friend of my got lost in some of the the sophistication on his Ranger I believe it was......he brought it in to my store and we looked at it and did some air testing he was talking this and that ...it sounded greek to me....I'm not a big one for too much sophistication...it beeps I dig, that kind of thing....He said well what would you do...I told him what I tell people when they buy a whites...use it for at least 6 months to a year on factory set-up and listen to the tones....even without multi-tones you should be able to seperate some junk from goodies... all detectors will work fairly well to excellent on factory pre-sets......once you start getting more mileage under your belt then check out one pro-option at a time......things like gain and swing speed.....if you hunt trashy areas some of the setting changes may prove to be valuable but not necessarily something you have to do. I still hunt in factory mode 80 per cent of the time.....pinpointing is just as important as any tweek you can make in your detector. The main thing there is in determining the size of the target. aloha johny mc.

OP
OP
N

Newbie101

johnnymc,Thanks for the insights.You are right on about the pinpointing.So far I'm learning the different sounds but when I get a solid target pinpointing takes a lot of patience with my BH.My unit does not have pinpointing, so I have to carefully draw an x on the ground by slowly moving ever so slightly to guesstimate appoximate target location.Also, target depth is still a little bit of an adventure.I know it takes a lot of practice.I will get it down eventually, but having fun doing it.

johny mc.

May 18, 2005
hey newb- I've never really used the depth thingy......one thing that throws it off is size of the target.......when I was young...meaning when I first started I chased every little thing down......trust me unless you know its a gold earring or something save your time.......I'd chase stuff down the road a quarter mile.... where is it? where is it? where is it?...not no more......
maximize your time and increase your odds in really what is a game of chance......................your bh will get you crankin then down the road sell it on ebay and upgrade....but remember a bad day detectin leaves you with less pounds on your body, some clad in your pocket, a better chance to sleep at night, fresh air for your lungs, and a realization that maybe you should try a different spot next time...............lol..lol
johny mc.

OP
OP
N

Newbie101

johny mc-You are right on about the size/depth thing.I was out yesterday.I hit a spot that had a pretty strong signal on the meter plus my headphones were chirping pretty good.I carefully marked(green golf tee) my entry point.I started digging looking through the dirt I pulled.Didn't find anything for the first 2-3".I decided to dig a little deeper(another 1/2-1").I found a thick metal washer when I thought I might find my first silver coin of some kind.I chalked it up to a learning experience.

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
NEWBIE, Welcome To The Forum, I Dig Everything, But I Hunt Mostly CW Relics So I Have Found My Share Of Old Coins And Jewelery, Research Is The Key, If Someone Didn't Loose It There You Can't Find It There. Starting Out Dig Everything That Way You Are Not Missing Any Of The Good Stuff. Best Of Luck & Good Hunting. trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 125.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 125.gif
    101.2 KB · Views: 260
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 125.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 125.gif
    101.2 KB · Views: 262
OP
OP
N

Newbie101

trk5capt-I've been detecting for about a week now.I have dug virtually all signals so far.I've come across many nails,bottle caps.Just found my first coins(2 pennies-no wheaties) yesterday in my yard.I've chosen my yard for practice so far.I'm getting close to finding other sites(schools,parks,etc.) .I know it takes a lot of practice.What kind of machine do you happen to use?.Just curious.

OP
OP
N

Newbie101

allen-Thanks for the encouragement!.Good luck in your future digs.

caratjuice

Oct 15, 2004
Washington State
Welcome to the forum Newbie. I'm from Seattle also, lot of nice places to hunt around here. I've found some nice jewelry pieces, but old coins are tough to find in this town. But they do pop from time to time. Good luck to you and keep us informed on how you are doing.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet, Newbie. Read all you can on the forum and you'll be a pro in no time.

Good luck! :)

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to the forum and happy hunting

tinpan