collectorchris

Greenie
Sep 8, 2015
Cleveland, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I picked up a BH Lone Star and headphones this past Friday at a local SGS. After I got it home, I read through the manual, assembled it, and took my new detector out in the yard. On the second hole I dug, I found a old diamond engagement ring (I think I did the Diggers dance). I have ordered a few accessories because after digging quite a few holes later, I realized for a learning noob, a pin pointer would be very helpful and a good digging tool was a necessity. I bit the bullet on a Garrett waterproof pointer and the nice digging tool they offer. I really like the BH LS so far, but after a few days, I am having some issues with it.

I was at a local lake the other day and the thing started going BS crazy after I got some water on the coil (only the coil) near the waters edge. According to the packaging, this thing is suppose to be water proof. In all metal mode it started giving me an assortment of chirping noises, both high and low.

I also noticed when I swing, it chirps at the end of each swing (no big deal) or hits tall grass, but also if I hold it, (not pointed at the ground) and move my wrist side to side, it signals like it is too sensitive or has a short.

Being new to these, I am hoping maybe I just need to adjust a setting, any advise would be great, and I am hoping it is not an issue with the unit itself.

One last question is, do the experienced users recommend a coil cover and also going to a 10" coil instead of the standard 8"?

Thank you in advance for any recommendations, explanations, or information any of you may volunteer.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chirping should be taken care of by reducing the sensitivity slightly or checking your coil connections to make sure it's plugged in tight and the coil bolt is hand tightened snug.

The 10" coil adds a little depth and a wider scan. But the 8" will work better in parks, etc. with treasures and trash being close to each other. I'd buy the 4" that has a better chance of detecting around park pavilions for $30 unless you're detecting big open fields.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Swinging can get to where the coil is sideways at each end of the swing. That can cause falsing but your not using the coil to your full advantage either if that happens..
Sort of a serpentine left to right scrubbing with overlap of pattern can avoid missed signals.
A test garden helps get a feel for sensitivity but experiment with it a little in the field.
Damp soil or water or very dry earth will cause different results.
Lower sensitivity does not mean less efficiency necessarily.
Congrats on the ring!
Keep it fun as you go.
I use a coil cover. A sacrificial piece of plastic for rocks and gravel to protect the coils integrity.
Your coils cable should likely wrap away from where it leaves your coil.
Too it should not have a floppy loop there or it can cause falsing.
Some folks run it up the shaft a foot before wrapping.
I'm not familiar with your brand but you are becoming more each use.

OP
OP
C

collectorchris

Greenie
Sep 8, 2015
Cleveland, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you both for the tips.
I will check the tightness of the coil bolt and cable tonight.
I also read something after I posted this that talked about keeping sensitivity turned down lower than you would think as well.
I had not heard of the serpentine pattern, I had only been swinging right and left as I walked with the unit, albeit slowly.

One thing I did notice with mine, is that when it is in all-metals mode, there is no variation in tone. It only produces tone differences when I place it in discriminate (middle mode), or Notch. Should I be running the discrimination dial at the 1 - 3 o'clock positions?

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chris, If you want to use notch (to silence iron and pull tabs) just hit the AUTONOTCH button after you turn the unit on. Make sure the disc knob is all the way counter clockwise. As you turn the disc knob clockwise it will start expanding the pull tab segment to include the aluminum and zinc segments. This allows you to detect coins only, and eliminates most gold rings and jewelry. You also lose a bit of depth if you notch.

The best setting is AM first, that is deepest. The coil must be in motion and it just gives a tone when it detects metal. No metal is eliminated.

Until you learn the machine, the second best mode should suit you. After turning on the unit, hit the DISC button and make sure you have the disc knob all the way counter clockwise. In DISC you have Iron eliminated and gold and silver will be detected. That is the best way to hunt for new comers. Pay special attention to how each target sounds and the display it gives. Soon you will know the sound and display of different types of targets. But in the beginning you have to dig all targets to get a feel. We all had to do it and there is no easy way. Expect junk in the beginning and soon you will start to know the difference between a possible good target or a possible pull tab, etc. Most people who say they can't do it or sell there units after a few times out didn't have the patience it takes to learn.

Detect in places where people usually gather. Like parks, baseball fields, etc. You'll start finding stuff before you know it.

OP
OP
C

collectorchris

Greenie
Sep 8, 2015
Cleveland, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks everyone. I checked the tightness of the coil bolt, coil wire, and the connection. I also turned sensitivity just passed on and the disc all the way counter clockwise. It works great in Disc mode, but when I turn it to all metal it is still constantly beeping, even when I hold it off the ground and barely flick my wrist left and right, is this normal or a sign of some problem? The machine is not even usable in AM due to the constant alerts.

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Strange. I don't know where you are. You could have highly mineralized soil. In that case you need a detector with ground balance. Or the unit may need to be examined by First Texas.

OP
OP
C

collectorchris

Greenie
Sep 8, 2015
Cleveland, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Strange. I don't know where you are. You could have highly mineralized soil. In that case you need a detector with ground balance. Or the unit may need to be examined by First Texas.

I am in SE Tennessee about 20 miles east of Chattanooga. I emailed BH and told them the issue, what I had done to check the unit. They advised "make sure you dont have a cell phone near the machine, power lines, soil deposits, etc... interference type problem shooting".

After checking all these things and thinking about when I started noticing the issue, I think it was after the coil got wet when I was searching at the lake. This coil is suppose to be completely submersible according to the box, but after the lake is when I noticed it getting wonky.

Strange thing is, in AM mode I can even unplug the coil and it still does it????

They advised me to call if it needed service to get a return authorization.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions