muncy667

Greenie
Feb 8, 2013
gibsonburg, ohio
Detector(s) used
garret AT PRO , whites vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have a new vx3 i am getting very discouraged by it i seem to only find nails even when the vdi number is good and also the green bars line up also i would like to no what kind of metals fall in the blue and the red and green bars i also have a garrett at pro which i love also i would like to no a good dd coil to use cause i have the standered 950 coil not a fan of it

OP
OP
M

muncy667

Greenie
Feb 8, 2013
gibsonburg, ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also i live in ohio not sure what kind of soil minerilization we have also would like to no any good settings that help with coin and relic searching

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i have a new vx3 i am getting very discouraged by it i seem to only find nails even when the vdi number is good and also the green bars line up also i would like to no what kind of metals fall in the blue and the red and green bars i also have a garrett at pro which i love also i would like to no a good dd coil to use cause i have the standered 950 coil not a fan of it

also i live in ohio not sure what kind of soil minerilization we have also would like to no any good settings that help with coin and relic searching
I'll take a stab at this.
Much of what you're looking for is in the owners manual. Section 6.6 discusses Ground Probe. This will give you an idea of what kind soils you're dealing with.
If case you don't have an owners manual...http://media.whiteselectronics.com/manuals/V3 Manuals/spectra_vx3_instruction_manual.pdf

As fas coils, I'm not a fan of the 950 coil either. I put a D2 coil first thing and it's amazing on the VX3.

Here are some VX3 settings you can use as a starting point. (not my settings, but it's where I started)
VX3 Programs.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

muncy667

Greenie
Feb 8, 2013
gibsonburg, ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is the d2 the one that comes standered on the v3i also dose it really make a differance and how much did u pick urs up for curious and thank u very much

OP
OP
M

muncy667

Greenie
Feb 8, 2013
gibsonburg, ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have the manual read it over and over ground probe is maual ground balanceing?

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
is the d2 the one that comes standered on the v3i also dose it really make a differance and how much did u pick urs up for curious and thank u very much
Yes, it's the coil that comes standard on the V3i. Yes, it make a big difference. It separates like a hot knife through butter. No more worries of iron masking. I think I paid about $250us.

Last edited:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
would like to no what kind of metals fall in the blue and the red and green bars
2.5kHz range (Green):Copper cents, clad & silver dimes/quarters, gold coins, iron nails

7.5kHz range (red): Nickels, zinc pennies, lead bullets, brass shell casings, some bottle caps and newer style pull tabs.

22.5 kHz range (Blue): Older style pull tabs, bottle caps, small gold should be stronger here too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

muncy667

Greenie
Feb 8, 2013
gibsonburg, ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so iron nails fall in green see i was getting discouraged cause i was getting good hits and i keep digging them up and its mostly nails omg u helped alot i need to get me the d2 and try to learn this machine better i was getting upset with it have you found anything cool with the vx3. i have real good luck with my at pro i got that down really good found alot of stuff with the at pro.

OP
OP
M

muncy667

Greenie
Feb 8, 2013
gibsonburg, ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also i read the manual better about the ground probe i figured it out we have standeard soil around here thats what the book said and i went outside and zero it and it falls in normal soil range. thank u so much

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since you are more comfortable with your AT Pro, do you compare signals between the two? If you are confident with the AT and what it's telling you , use that as a tool for learning the VX3 and what it's telling you.

I compare each detector I get/have when trying to learn a new one. Use it as a Rosetta Stone as it were!

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After over a year with my VX3.... I still dig bent Iron nails and fence nails. They put off a jumpy signal for that machine. You can help yourself out with a good DD coil... the D2 is nice... I prefer the SEF butterfly myself. I can check the target on the X and Y axis and get a better idea if I am dealing with a deep silver dime or a bent nail with DD coils than with the 950.

Mortamus

Jun 9, 2012
Southern Callie
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Dude
Whites uses weird coils when they send out the machine..imho its the only thing I can't understand from Whites..
You need the 6x10 coil and also the 4x6 coil asap
Its the only way trust me on this. The coil that came with the machine is ok but only in pristine conditions eg: no mineralization, no trash,etc... maybe a beach?
Trust me I know this machine now after having it since last may...
I'm finding all kinds of coins and jewelry .....
It takes time to learn this machine just play with it but not around your house go to a park ...read manual see whites forums..etc...time will help yo understand the machine...its awesome!!!
Mort out :occasion14:

Digging Deeper

Jan 12, 2013
Mississippi Gulf Ciast
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i D2 & 5.3
Garrett AT Pro stock
Bounty Hunter 505
Cheap UW PI
Whites TRX
Garrett Pro pointer
Vibra-Quatic 2
D2 is ok but I find more goodies with the 5.3 (It is slow but great in the trash I search).

a day without pull tabs is like a day without sunshine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread