Feb 10, 2013
Pueblo CO and Pensacola FL
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro 6X10 DD and 4X6 DD coils and coil covers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What is the main difference between GMT and MXT and MXT pro:icon_scratch:
Why didn't they just make one.
I want to hunt gold in colorado rocky mt and need a detector that will do small gold for that area and then other feature's kinda come second.
I like the GMT but would spend the extra cash if i need to for the MXT Pro.
I kinda went from buying a gold bug 2 witch will do the ob to this because i realize i could get more of a multi purpose unit that i would be able to use it in Fl also.:thumbsup:

I have only been researching detectors for a week, but heavy every day and night so i have learned a lot but still not enough to make a decision.
Thanks

Last edited:

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The gmt is mainly for gold hunting and even if it can be a very good multi purpose detector it's not a real do it all. The mxt is the multi purpose of whites, it can pick up small gold, but not as small as the gmt, it can also work on land or on the sand well. The Gmt is no good near the salt.
If your main detecting is gold than I would suggest the gmt over the mxt but if you want a real multi purpose the mxt is better.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All three use the same ground tracking design or circuit. Tge GMT runs at a higher frequency which allows it to pick up smaller pieces of gold than the MXT but it's also noisier to use. The GMT is a dedicated nugget hunter and doesn't have the same discrimination circuit as the MXT and will drive you nuts using it on the saltwater beaches. The MXT is also an excellent nugget shooter and will pick up matchhead sized nuggets easily. With the MXT you can also use it for Coins, Jewelry and relics and it does an excellent job on all those. It also works very well on the beach. The difference between the MXT and the MXT Pro are three things. The Pro has a backlite screen for use in low light conditions like hunting at night, It also has what's called Ground Grab which allows you to instantly re-ground balance the detector by pushing a button. With the standard MXT you need to flip a switch and pump the coil up and down four or five times to do the same ground balance. Of course both MXT's continuously track the ground mineralization and adjust themselves if the tracking toggle in clicked into the track posiiton. So the Ground Grab or Pumping the coil only comes into play if you're hunting in the fixed position and not the track position. Some folks like to ground balance and then set the detector to fixed as it sometimes runs a little more quiet. The third difference is Tone ID where the detector makes different tones on different targets. The MXT has the option of turning tone ID on or off. The Standard MXT only has the single tone where everything has the same tone or pitch. I currently have all three detectors. If I was in your place I'd take the MXT Pro for its versatility and I like the tone ID option. You can also get the MXT Pro with either the S12 coil (300) or the Eclipse 950 coil. Getting it with the 950 coil, knocks a few bucks off the price. You may even make a deal for an MXT Pro with the Eclipse 6"x9" coil as it would be your best choice for both nugget hunting and hitting the beach.

OP
OP
G

gtxkid

Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks norbyx because i will be back in Pensacola Fl more than i will be in Colorado.
Good Tip
Thankyou

Hey Tom
I was thinking of going with a MXT Pro with both the 6X10 DD and 4X6 DD coils and coil covers but you say go with 6x9.
I am going for gold up in the Colorado Rocky mtn's had just one guy suggest these.
So your input is greatly appreciated.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I typed 6"X9" but meant 6"X10". 4"X6" is a great small coil. Steve's guide is spot on. Now you just have to decide which MXT!

Last edited:

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No brainer for me that I need to add to the article (it was written before MXT Pro existed). The Pro has the Ground Grab button. Worth the few extra bucks for me all by itself. I prefer to run in locked and it is a pain switching to track and then back again to update the ground balance setting. Tones, backlight, just sweetens the deal. And yes, 6" x 10" DD is the coil to have, especially for prospecting in general. The 4" x 6" also, great for small gold and trashy locations.

The MXT is a real classic for power, versatility, and simplicity. Hard to see how anyone could go wrong with one.

OP
OP
G

gtxkid

Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well it is settled then.
MXT Pro
4" x 6" coil + cover's i assume
6" x 10"coil +cover
Whites Pro Star headphones
Little accessory strap to set it down on.

Just need to decide on battery, They make aftermarket one they call: the longest lasting one i seen???

ps249

Dec 17, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well it is settled then.
MXT Pro
4" x 6" coil + cover's i assume
6" x 10"coil +cover
Whites Pro Star headphones
Little accessory strap to set it down on.

Just need to decide on battery, They make aftermarket one they call: the longest lasting one i seen???

MXT Pro gets great battery life. I can get close to 50 hours on a single set (8) of batteries

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread