New Wisconsin DNR Metal Detecting Laws

CoinShooter-Craig

Jan 3, 2009
Langlade Co , WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac / Tesoro Vaquero
Hi there fellow detectorists. I just went to the Clubs and Friends - Wisconsin section and was saddened by a post from a Metal Detecting Club President here in Wisconsin with a link to the Wisconsins DNR website on their new metal detecting laws. It makes me feel like I just wasted $1,500.00 on my new E-Trac because I won't be able to use it in the area that I live in. If you are curious about the new law here is the link. http://www.dnr.wisconsin.gov/org/land/parks/other/metaldetect.html . I for one feel like I'm on the endangered species list and about to go extinct!!! What can we do about this injustice?? Anyone have any suggestions(?) , because before you know it they will be doing the same thing in your area (If they haven't already!). I feel we should all decide on a day a couple of weeks from now and everyone who this affects or who is concerned about this issue should write a letter to their congressman , the DNR office , or whoever you can think of that we can voice our concerns and displeasures to. Anyone have any better ideas or suggestions on what we can do(?) , or before you know it we'll all be looking for different hobbies or activities to enjoy in our spare time. Just a concerned detectorist voicing my opinion. CoinShooter-Craig

Upvote 0

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
And someone tell those Wisconsonite cops to stop targeting Illinois cars to pull over for speeding while we're at it! I get pulled over for doing 73 in a 65 while there are Wisconsonites passing the cops doing 90. Boo!!! :wink:

Joe

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
twistidd said:
And someone tell those Wisconsonite cops to stop targeting Illinois cars to pull over for speeding while we're at it! I get pulled over for doing 73 in a 65 while there are Wisconsonites passing the cops doing 90. Boo!!! :wink:

Joe

We don't have that problem in Michigan. Here everybody gets busted. ;D

S

seger98

I'm just going to do what I've been doing! :icon_pirat: Not saying what that is!

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Michigan Badger said:
seger98 said:
I'm just going to do what I've been doing! :icon_pirat: Not saying what that is!

Wise person :thumbsup:

Think I consider myself an oldtimer.....maybe not in years (gettin darn close tho) on this earth, but detecting-wise.

I'm a stubborn sob....and I too will continue down my merry path just like I have for the last 25 years. I don't have enough time left in me to let foolish things obstruct my path to a life of enjoyment.

Al

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say just pretend ur paranoid and ur making sure there are no landmines in the area as your walking through :icon_jokercolor:

Twin Digger

Feb 13, 2009
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
wow You knew it was coming. I have been in the studies of archaeological finds and sites for a couple of years, and to hear their reasoning behind what the states are doing is not good in my opinion. They have been so concerned about the wild life asspect of this act that they know not many people will report or turn in artifacts they recover. That is why the State Departments agree with the DNR.

If we follow the rule's of asking permission and keeping a low profile thing's will run it's course and Us as MD hunter's will still get a pleasure as a hobby. Remember we picked this Hobby...

If your in it for the profit, well then Greed will show you the dark side of MDing. I know of a couple of stories of people getting their property repoed and having to pay thousands of dollars because they took the greedy route.

Be safe and HH. with permission. I alway's ask. The worse thing that could happen is they say No.. get over it and find another place.

Twin Digger... Urban Hunter

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Twin digger, when you say ".... [hunt] with permission. I alway's ask.", you are talking about private property, right?

If not, and you were talking about public property, then would it not be ok for someone to look it up for themselves? Park rules are usually available on city, county, and state web sites, or on printed brochures at park kiosks, or printed on the wooden sign at park's entrance, etc... If it is silent on the issue, then so be it!

Next you say (assuming we're talking public property): "The worse thing that could happen is they say No". That is incorrect, it can get worse than that. If in fact there were no written rules on the subject, but you merely got told "no", simply because some park personell felt like it (perhaps he envisioned geeks with shovels?), guess what will happen the NEXT time that same person passes another md'r, whom he previously would never have paid mind to? He'll remember the earlier inquiry, and start booting all others! I've seen this happen before :P In other words, you can merely create concern where none existed before.

Twin Digger

Feb 13, 2009
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
ok California Guy.. Yes private property.. And people are going to always second guess what's going on when someone ask's to hunt thier property. I just ment ASK First.. That's the right thing to do.

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
You know what they can kiss my butt, as long as you don't tell them about your finds they wont know. :thumbsup:

If your out and the cops come just say ow didn't know sorry. :tard:

They shouldn't have started this thing in the first place if they didn't want you to find anything.

Tomas Frijole

Jan 6, 2009
west branch
Detector(s) used
ace
Michigan Badger said:
twistidd said:

Joe

We don't have that problem in Michigan. Here everybody gets busted. ;D

I'm in Michigan and I just got stopped and ticketed in my hayseed county for 56 in a 55. The ticketing officer and Judge are my car insurance agents' nephew and brother! I think I paid for thier next family reunion.

Maybe every Wi MDer needs to send about 500 request for permission to search (thier private property) to every legistlater.

I do volunteer work for a retirement center downstate and there are 2 old Jewish guys who were 1940's WWII refugees, tatoos on the arm and everything. They say they are glad thier old because the US is fast becoming 1930's Germany with a different agenda! And they are deadly serious.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Tomas Frijole said:
I do volunteer work for a retirement center downstate and there are 2 old Jewish guys who were 1940's WWII refugees, tatoos on the arm and everything. They say they are glad thier old because the US is fast becoming 1930's Germany with a different agenda! And they are deadly serious.

Most who read this won't accept it but I for one agree 100% with those Jewish gentilemen.

During WWII, some Germans killed men, women, and children, to build a so-called "Master Race."

Today some Americans murder innocent little babies for convenience.

You tell me who's worse?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
civil war hunter said:
You know what they can kiss my butt, as long as you don't tell them about your finds they wont know. :thumbsup:

They shouldn't have started this thing in the first place if they didn't want you to find anything.
What thing????

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
MDing they had to approve of it.

kuger said:
civil war hunter said:

What thing????

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been metal detecting for 24 years. I can tell you this, our hobby is slowly headed for extinction! Not a matter of if, but when. Land of the free?

It is a crying shame!

rust in peace

Sep 26, 2007
West-central Wisconsin
Perhaps it would be time, for someone who actually has the resources to do something about this to step forward. Wouldn't it be in the best interests of the company owners of Minelab, Whites, Garrett etc. to start fighting some of these laws? Who's going to buy detectors when there aren't any places to use them?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
rust in peace: It has already been tried. It's called the "FMDAC". But the bottom line is, there just isn't enough md'rs, or enough $$ within the manufacturer donations to such solidarity/lobbyist organizations, to amount to enough to do it. Unlike the NRA, which has untold thousands of adherents (lots of gun buffs out there), md'ing is a teeny niche hobby. Just not enough sales, hobbyists, etc...

hunterx1

Greenie
Jun 16, 2009
hey why not ! they've killed off all the deer. introduced elk into the northwoods to be killed by the wolves just like the deer. they estimated that we had just under 10 thousand bear in the state, independent study says they are off by approx 107%. they are all retarded, and believe me when i say thats the sugar coated version of what i think of them. they are a discredit to thier opposable thumbs and prove it at every turn in the road. they need to be totally gutted of thier power just like the i.r.s. got dressed down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions