Newb Question - are fed rolls filtered?

seattleMD

Dec 31, 2007
I just purchased my first rolls from a bank. They said they didn't have any customer rolled coins, as they break and count all customer rolls anyway. Instead they gave me rolls that were "from the fed" and professionally wrapped in white sleeves with striping colors (depending on denomination) and the ends were crimped. Are these rolls "from the fed" sorted and filtered for older coins and silvers by the Fed? Or are these coins not really "from the Fed" but instead from some private companies that sorts and rolls coins FOR the Fed and then banks order them from said private company?

Upvote 0

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
seattleMD said:
I just purchased my first rolls from a bank. They said they didn't have any customer rolled coins, as they break and count all customer rolls anyway. Instead they gave me rolls that were "from the fed" and professionally wrapped in white sleeves with striping colors (depending on denomination) and the ends were crimped. Are these rolls "from the fed" sorted and filtered for older coins and silvers by the Fed? Or are these coins not really "from the Fed" but instead from some private companies that sorts and rolls coins FOR the Fed and then banks order them from said private company?
The answer is in bold above. Don't be mis-led by the term (Fed box) the newbies here are tossing around. The Feds, IE, the Federal Government doesn't put out the boxes anyone gets. They all come from centers ran by Brinks, CWI, AT etc. They might come from a "Federal Reserve Bank" but they are still privately rolled at the contracted centers listed above. The only time the Feds are involved is when there is a coin shortage and they send these rolling joints bags to make up the difference. The Feds don't pull silver. No coin rolling company is going to pay someone to pull silver. They make there money handling money. Check out this post I made. It gives you an idea how silver ends up in a box. The Real Story or How A “Dream” Box Is Made / **MUST READ FOR NEWBIES** http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,92551.0.html And with so many new CRHers out there, very little ends up in boxes anymore.

OP
OP
S

seattleMD

Dec 31, 2007
awhitster said:
seattleMD said:
The answer is in bold above. Don't be mis-led by the term (Fed box) the newbies here are tossing around. The Feds, IE, the Federal Government doesn't put out the boxes anyone gets. They all come from centers ran by Brinks, CWI, AT etc. They might come from a "Federal Reserve Bank" but they are still privately rolled at the contracted centers listed above. The only time the Feds are involved is when there is a coin shortage and they send these rolling joints bags to make up the difference. The Feds don't pull silver. No coin rolling company is going to pay someone to pull silver. They make there money handling money. Check out this post I made. It gives you an idea how silver ends up in a box. The Real Story or How A “Dream” Box Is Made / **MUST READ FOR NEWBIES** http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,92551.0.html And with so many new CRHers out there, very little ends up in boxes anymore.

That post is great and I read it just prior to reading your reply here. Thanks for the clarification!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions