NEWBE HERE/ WHATS THE BEST WAY?

coingairl300

Mar 17, 2008
Warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI.New here. I am 26. I live in warren county NJ. I work as a produce clerk at a local food store in my area.I have been metal detecting for 3years now. I like to do relic,hunting and coin hunting to.I love to read a bout local history and wold history as well.I have a Question. What is the best way to approach some one about geting permisoin to hunt on there property? :)

P.S Any one here for NJ?

Priscilla

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum Priscilla. The best way to approach many land owners is to be neat in appearance and be honest in what you tell them. Ask them if they know of anyone that has maybe lost something on the property that you could try to find. Don't ask for any reward for this and don't suggest to share with them or give them half. If you get permission, keep back any valuable find and show them the other trash if they are interested. Make sure you tell them you will treat their yard like it was your own and make sure they don't see a shovel unless you are going to do farm fields. Don't let the owner be able to tell where you retreived a target. If it is to deep on their grass, it is best to leave it there and look for targets you can retreive without making a mess.

Ask if you can come back and if you do, bring the land owner a pie or something to show your appreation. This will go a long way to get you invited to search other property.

Others will have more suggestions too.

Good Luck,
Sandman

renob151

Mar 19, 2008
Grafenwoher, Germany
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Hi everyone I am new here too. I have been lurking for a while watching and trying to get educated. I now really have the fever!! I am a soldier stationed in Germany and will retire soon, and plan to stay here and work for the army as a civilian. I hope to buy a Tracker IV this month to be ready for the spring. I had a good friend here that did LOADS of relic hunting but he left to the states before I could get much training and tips from him. So, I am setting my sights mainly on learning to work my rig, finding CLAD and meeting local people that I can go out with and learn from. I'm sure I will have the pull tab title by 2009!!! My main goal is to get out to the local ski slopes and scan under the chair lifts and around the consession stands. The house that I am living is is very interesting...it was once owned by a retired Cardinal that work for Pope JP II. Just digging in the garden I found a very ornate sword about 6 in long ( a letter opener) not very old (70's or 80's) solid brass. I want to scan the whole property...who knows. I appriate the tips, coaching, humor, and closeness of this website (that's why I chose to join). Any tips, tricks, or advise that is directed my way will be gladly accepted!!

OP
OP
coingairl300

coingairl300

Mar 17, 2008
Warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi sandman

Thank you for your reply. I am hopping to to get permission from this property owner that i believe has a old school on his land.I am going to talk to him to make shore. where are you located? in what state? And what type of hunting do you like?

prioscilla

OP
OP
coingairl300

coingairl300

Mar 17, 2008
Warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
renob151 said:
Hi everyone I am new here too. I have been lurking for a while watching and trying to get educated. I now really have the fever!! I am a soldier stationed in Germany and will retire soon, and plan to stay here and work for the army as a civilian. I hope to buy a Tracker IV this month to be ready for the spring. I had a good friend here that did LOADS of relic hunting but he left to the states before I could get much training and tips from him. So, I am setting my sights mainly on learning to work my rig, finding CLAD and meeting local people that I can go out with and learn from. I'm sure I will have the pull tab title by 2009!!! My main goal is to get out to the local ski slopes and scan under the chair lifts and around the consession stands. The house that I am living is is very interesting...it was once owned by a retired Cardinal that work for Pope JP II. Just digging in the garden I found a very ornate sword about 6 in long ( a letter opener) not very old (70's or 80's) solid brass. I want to scan the whole property...who knows. I appriate the tips, coaching, humor, and closeness of this website (that's why I chose to join). Any tips, tricks, or advise that is directed my way will be gladly accepted!!

Hi
Learn your detector by bering some items out in your back yard to see how your detector responds to them.and go from their.
hope this helps
priscilla

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
If you have a senior center, go there, make some friends. Be your self, help when you can. They have property, find out if they have lost any thing. I cannot tell you all the things you need to do but, first be a friend. You will never out do them, they will pay back every favor. I am only 80 so I have had no experience with this but just
thought you might try it. If it works, let me know and I will try it too. Gnewt

Quester

Mar 1, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
XLT, Silvermax, Compadre
Welcome to you both! Yes the simple way is the best, just go ask nicely. Plus to the soldier in Germany... go out in farm fields man! Follow the tractors! Ancient things are much more fun to dig!

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
coingairl300 said:
HI.New here. I am 26. I live in warren county NJ. I work as a produce clerk at a local food store in my area.I have been metal detecting for 3years now. I like to do relic,hunting and coin hunting to.I love to read a bout local history and wold history as well.I have a Question. What is the best way to approach some one about geting permisoin to hunt on there property? :)

P.S Any one here for NJ?

Priscilla
First, pick a good time to approach the property owners. Don't arrive at dinnertime. If anyone is outside the property ask them if they are the owners and if they are not, ask them who the owners are and if they live on the property. Once you have that info, or you're talking to the owner, whip out a handful of modern CLAD coins and tell them that this is what you've found so far and you're hoping to find older coins, don't say silver or gold. Volunteer to show them your finds once they give you permission and tell them they can keep their favorite coin or whatever. And guarantee them that you will not dig unsightly holes and leave the area looking like a warfield. If possible, get yourself a probe and learn to retrieve items WITHOUT digging a hole if the item is no deeper than, say, 5"-6". And if you have to dig a hole, make it the same width as the target if a coin is indicated on your meter.

Here's the sticky part: you may have to be dishonest and lie. If you find something of value, or a silver coin that YOU want to keep, don't show it to them, show them only the other uninteresting stuff. If you can't veer from honesty then, of course, show them everything and let them keep whatever they select.

If you don't want to give up old or silver coins, always have a dirty clad coin in your hands to substitute because you may not be aware of a person standing near you watching you and seeing what you retrieve. I saw a young man outside his '20s house and I asked him if I could search his backyard and he said yes and took me to it. It was really a patch of bare dirt about 5' square. I found a silver Washington quarter which I wanted to keep but he was standing right next to me and when he saw it and asked me for it I had to give it up. The only silver I found that day. Afterwards, I thought: "When I saw the silver coin in the hole, why didn't I ask him to get me a glass of water so while he was gone I could have substituted the silver quarter for a clad one."

The above are considerations, not de rigueur behaviour. If you're dealing with old folks, or their relatives, and it looks like they've been living in the house for many years or all of their life, whatever you find could have been lost by them or their family members so you would only be giving back what they lost. But if it's young people, then they must have moved in way after whatever you found was lost so you make the call whether to gift them or yourself.

Whatever decision you make don't feel guilty afterwards if you thought that you made the wrong decision. You can always go back and do the right thing. I never found myself in a situation such as I described but I did learn it just in case.

Silver Fox

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a reply to Silver Fox,

Most of the time--almost ALL of the time I show the property owner EVERYTHING I've found, they tell me to keep it--that I've worked hard for it, or something like that.

And you know, the longer I'm in this hobby, and the more things that come out of the ground and make their way home with me, the more inclined I am to give it away. Your honesty up front opens the doors to future sites that the owner may know about. When I first started I didn't want to give a single wheatie to a property owner...now after hundreds and hundreds of them, I'm perfectly o.k. with giving up a Wheats, Indian Head Cents, and even Silver coins. Honesty builds Trust. And in our hobby, you can't have enough of that between the general public and us.

Now in terms of asking permission...here's a link. Check out my reply to the post--as well as the links. There is a wealth of information there.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,142302.0.html

Regards,

Buckleboy

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
I would not use the word "dig",use "recovery" "retrieve" and "target" etc.when talking to property owners
stand back in a non threatening manner and distance while remaining cordial.

good luck

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
[/quote]
If possible, get yourself a probe and learn to retrieve items WITHOUT digging a hole if the item is no deeper than, say, 5"-6".

Silver Fox

[/quote]

Can I get some details on that technique? What kind of pinpointer do you use, must be sturdy? I'd sure like to be able to retrieve targets as shallow as 2" without digging. Thanks in advance for the tips.

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to both of you. Make sure you get permission in writing. Whites has the form you can download as does the FMDAC (The Federation of Metal Detector and Archeological Clubs, Inc.)

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Re: NEWBE HERE/ WHATS THE BEST WAY?/FIBERGLASS PROBES

If possible, get yourself a probe and learn to retrieve items WITHOUT digging a hole if the item is no deeper than, say, 5"-6".

Silver Fox

[/quote]

Can I get some details on that technique? What kind of pinpointer do you use, must be sturdy? I'd sure like to be able to retrieve targets as shallow as 2" without digging. Thanks in advance for the tips.
[/quote]
Look at the photo which is worth a thousand words, fiberglass fishing pole probes in various states from new to used. Get a solid fiberglass fishing pole and remove all of the hardware. Get some rasp-type thick wood handles. Add white glue.

Cut the fishing pole into sections approx. 12" in length. If the thinnest part is too flexible discard it. You want a section that cannot be bent. Thin the thickest (or upper) part of the section so that it will eventually fit into the handle's hole all the way or most of the way (you don't want it detaching in the field). Fill the handle hole almost all of the way with the white glue. When you insert the section into the hole glue will squish out, just wipe the excess (don't hold the handle upside down so that the glue leaks out before you insert the section). Stand it on the handle somewhere out of the way to let the glue dry. Takes about a day or two. When the section is solidly in the handle and your efforts to pull it out fail, you're ready for the next step. That's rounding the flat tip so that it becomes easy to insert the probe into the earth.

That's it, and now you don't have to worry about damaging mostly coins when you probe to touch whatever triggered your detector. If it's a ring your probe might go through the center so a probe is effective with solid targets such as coins, medals, etc. Once your probe has touched the object find its edges and then you don't have to make a big hole to retrieve it. And doing so gives you more hunting time. Very few use a probe and since they don't know how big it is they wind up making a crater to retrieve a clad cent! >:( Using a probe is ecological! :thumbsup:

Silver Fox

Attachments

• Probes.JPG
    Probes.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 294

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
SF

I figured you were using some sort of a probe. How do you raise the target if you didn't mistake a rock for it?
It must take some finesse. I don't think I got it in me.

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
radarwill said:
SF

I figured you were using some sort of a probe. How do you raise the target if you didn't mistake a rock for it?
When I got a signal I couldn't pinpoint it with the push of a pad as my Teknetics Mark I Ltd didn't have a PINPOINT feature. So I just switched to ALL METALS and diminished the signal until the coil was centered over the target. Then I simply stuck the probe into the ground and if the coin was flat I'd hit it with the first attempt. Maybe once or twice there was something covering the target and it might have been a rock. No big deal. It doesn't take finesse, just stickin' to it and getting over the desire to ignore probing and just opening up the earth. Like I said, I was very proud of probing and sometimes couldn't find the area I just removed an item from. My detector was not a deep seeker so almost all of my finds were rarely deeper than 5-6 inches and probing that depth is no challenge.

And, yes, you do have it in you, we all do. Perseverance at anything improves your skills.

Silver Fox

OP
OP
coingairl300

coingairl300

Mar 17, 2008
Warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Fox said:
coingairl300 said:

P.S Any one here for NJ?

Priscilla
First, pick a good time to approach the property owners. Don't arrive at dinnertime. If anyone is outside the property ask them if they are the owners and if they are not, ask them who the owners are and if they live on the property. Once you have that info, or you're talking to the owner, whip out a handful of modern CLAD coins and tell them that this is what you've found so far and you're hoping to find older coins, don't say silver or gold. Volunteer to show them your finds once they give you permission and tell them they can keep their favorite coin or whatever. And guarantee them that you will not dig unsightly holes and leave the area looking like a warfield. If possible, get yourself a probe and learn to retrieve items WITHOUT digging a hole if the item is no deeper than, say, 5"-6". And if you have to dig a hole, make it the same width as the target if a coin is indicated on your meter.

Here's the sticky part: you may have to be dishonest and lie. If you find something of value, or a silver coin that YOU want to keep, don't show it to them, show them only the other uninteresting stuff. If you can't veer from honesty then, of course, show them everything and let them keep whatever they select.

If you don't want to give up old or silver coins, always have a dirty clad coin in your hands to substitute because you may not be aware of a person standing near you watching you and seeing what you retrieve. I saw a young man outside his '20s house and I asked him if I could search his backyard and he said yes and took me to it. It was really a patch of bare dirt about 5' square. I found a silver Washington quarter which I wanted to keep but he was standing right next to me and when he saw it and asked me for it I had to give it up. The only silver I found that day. Afterwards, I thought: "When I saw the silver coin in the hole, why didn't I ask him to get me a glass of water so while he was gone I could have substituted the silver quarter for a clad one."

The above are considerations, not de rigueur behaviour. If you're dealing with old folks, or their relatives, and it looks like they've been living in the house for many years or all of their life, whatever you find could have been lost by them or their family members so you would only be giving back what they lost. But if it's young people, then they must have moved in way after whatever you found was lost so you make the call whether to gift them or yourself.

Whatever decision you make don't feel guilty afterwards if you thought that you made the wrong decision. You can always go back and do the right thing. I never found myself in a situation such as I described but I did learn it just in case.

Silver Fox
Thank you for your advice. I Ill give it a shot! priscilla

OP
OP
coingairl300

coingairl300

Mar 17, 2008
Warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
solx nys said:
I would not use the word "dig",use "recovery" "retrieve" and "target" etc.when talking to property owners
stand back in a non threatening manner and distance while remaining cordial.

good luck
HI
I no if i uses that word they will tern me down. I think not!

priscilla

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
Welcome Priscilla,

I just ask or send a letter if it is not local. I tell them I like to find and discovery stuff. If they have a lost family heirloom I would like to try and find it for them. I have pictures of places (homes) I have been allowed to hunt with before and after of my dig area. I always use a towel to put the dirt on if it someone's home. I do my very best to make it look like it did. If you new at digging and hunting I recommend you pratice some in a field, etc. Before long you will get better at it and can make a small intrusion and once covered it looks undisturbed.

Have fun as it is the most important part and enjoy

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
radarwill said:
SF

Hi, I never thought I would be able to pop out a coin with a probe either. While I'm still not an expert doing it.....Now with all the practice I've been doing I can now pop coins out at least 5 times out of 10. If I can do it you can too. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions